View Full Version : 1,000 mAh? Come on...

torok
06-02-2004, 08:27 AM
That seems to be the standard capacity for li-ion batteries in pocket pcs these days. That's less then half of one NiMHi AA. Are they really that small, dimention wise, considering that li-ion has a greater energy density then NiMHi?

Kowalski
06-02-2004, 09:27 AM
there are two big differences between two
first lithium batteries are more stable than nimh
second nimh batteries have memory effect so you can use lithium batteries for longer times

milkman dan
06-02-2004, 03:54 PM
I still agree with torok. my ipaq 3670 can take a 2000 mAh battery that is half the thickness of a stylus, yet my 2215 thinks a 900 mAh is more than enough... what gives?

Ripper014
06-02-2004, 04:29 PM
What gives...???

Hp was correct in what they did... the battery life for the Hp2200 series is adequate... With the new operating system... and lower power requirements... I think there is enough battery life for a days general use. By that I am not talking about using it for games... movies... or music...

Afterall.. this was intended as a PIM first... and entertainment center second...

Besides this... if the battery was any bigger you would just complain about the size and weight of the device...

Are people ever happy...

I keep seeing these posts that ask when our PocketPC's are going to replace laptops... WELL GUESS WHAT THEY ARE NOT LAPTOPS... like I have said before... it is unfortunate that they have grown to the point that people expect more from them than they should... or is that a bad thing... that they are more than they were meant to be...???

I guess that is something worth thinking about...

WyattEarp
06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
What gives...???

Hp was correct in what they did... the battery life for the Hp2200 series is adequate... With the new operating system... and lower power requirements... I think there is enough battery life for a days general use. By that I am not talking about using it for games... movies... or music...

Afterall.. this was intended as a PIM first... and entertainment center second...

Besides this... if the battery was any bigger you would just complain about the size and weight of the device...

Are people ever happy...

I keep seeing these posts that ask when our PocketPC's are going to replace laptops... WELL GUESS WHAT THEY ARE NOT LAPTOPS... like I have said before... it is unfortunate that they have grown to the point that people expect more from them than they should... or is that a bad thing... that they are more than they were meant to be...???

I guess that is something worth thinking about...

HP may be right, but being one of the industries leaders in technology why do they settle for that. I wouldn't expect anyone else to either. Adequate means it's just enough which is less than what people want. Batteries found in PPCs can hold more power without being extremely big or heavy like NiMH. Both have minor memory effect and last for many recharges; lithium-ion being the best. But NiMHs are currently available up to 2300 mAh in a small size. What gives :?: :?

IMO PPC batteries should last 6-8 hrs with moderate to heavy usage before reaching 30%.

People are never always happy. There will always be something to complain about. And I also agree that palmtops are not laptops and can not replace them. But it is good that they have grown to this point which allows people to get more done without lugging a round a laptop or being tied to a desktop. That's my $0.02.

Robb Bates
06-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Voltage!

A AA battery is 1.5V for alkaline or 1.2V for NiCd. My h2215 has a 3.7V battery in it. You more than double or even triple the voltage so your capacity halves or thirds. It only makes sense.

Robb

Kowalski
06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
My h2215 has a 3.7V battery in it
actually mine reads 4.2 volts when fully charged

Gutsandglory
06-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Hp was correct in what they did... the battery life for the Hp2200 series is adequate

As an organiser and email checkeriser, sure... as a GPS no way, its far from adequate. If HP designed their ipaq to be simply an organiser its way over priced. I havent used wifi but im sure that would drain just as much as CF GPS. HP has the 3800mah battery which is alot better than 900mah, but you cant find cases to fit it, and thats another $200US id have to spend on it... so im not happy sure, but maybe i want too much from it.

I think you've mistaken that for the cpu voltage, if you check your battery it is rated at 900mah at 3.7v.

I guess we seem to forget the reality amongst the advertising hype that companies are out there to make a buck not necessarily a quality product.

milkman dan
06-03-2004, 09:34 AM
a 2000mAh battery would weigh up to a few grams more TOPS. The problems with anything that gets mass produced, is that not enough people would notice the smaller battery to affect sales at all. thats it. Big company's only care about you buying their product, and their product lasting as long as the competitors product so you will continue buying from them.

On a side note, when you play games on your PPC, specifically games that tax the cpu (ie.pocketquake) your battery lasts a few hours TOPS. Yes, they are origonally made as glorified organizers, but if they are going to put 400 MHz cpu's in them, the only thing that will use them are games and videos

Kowalski
06-03-2004, 09:55 AM
according to bat-mem time my battery voltage is 4.2 when fully charged and 3.9 when 80%

torok
06-04-2004, 12:52 AM
there are two big differences between two
first lithium batteries are more stable than nimh
second nimh batteries have memory effect so you can use lithium batteries for longer times

http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

jake080
06-04-2004, 01:14 AM
yall got a nice agruement ;)
I say, 'GIMMIE MORE POWER'

~JAke

Gutsandglory
06-04-2004, 04:29 AM
according to bat-mem time my battery voltage is 4.2 when fully charged and 3.9 when 80%

Yeah your right, for some reason i was thinking this is the CPU voltage, i use bat-mem-time also. The battery is still rated at 3.7v 900mah even though it goes above this voltage.

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Hp was correct in what they did... the battery life for the Hp2200 series is adequate

As an organiser and email checkeriser, sure... as a GPS no way, its far from adequate. If HP designed their ipaq to be simply an organiser its way over priced. I havent used wifi but im sure that would drain just as much as CF GPS. HP has the 3800mah battery which is alot better than 900mah, but you cant find cases to fit it, and thats another $200US id have to spend on it... so im not happy sure, but maybe i want too much from it.

I think you've mistaken that for the cpu voltage, if you check your battery it is rated at 900mah at 3.7v.

I guess we seem to forget the reality amongst the advertising hype that companies are out there to make a buck not necessarily a quality product.

These are just like car batteries when plugged in or fully charged they will be above the rated voltage, you have to have a higer voltager or it won't accept the charge AFAIK