View Full Version : Ipaq 2210 with Fortuna Clip-On or Mio 168? Software....

jlw
06-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Hello everyone!

For a long time I have been thinking about getting a navigation system to my car (audi a3 1,8t I include a picture just for fun). And to use when I travlling across my home country (Sweden) and in the rest of the world.

A PDA with GPS module seems to be the most suitable for me. I have found two devices that intressts me:

The Mio 168 with build in antenna. It's cheap and I have been reading that a few people are having problem using it in car. It gettings satlite loss. Terrble! I dont want that! I drive alot in capitals and larger cities. Is this device nothing for me? Is there any differ with a external antenna?

And the second option is a ipaq 2210 along with the Fortuna Clip-On. Seems to be a good combination. I want comments! Is this etup better then the mio 168 setup? I dont wont to have much satelite loss.

The software I will use is tom tom 3. Or destinator 3. Which one is the "best". I read somewhere that destination didt support roundabout. is that true? Me who love to driving in circles in these roundabouts. ;-)

Is there anything else I should purchaste?

I want commens on everything I have written. Well, not my spelling or my gramma. ;-)

And here is a pic to make this post more intressting:

http://medlem.spray.se/audiman17/a3t/Ferrita_monterat_25_Juli_03/PICT3575.jpg

Have a very nice day everyone!
/ Johan

arnage2
06-01-2004, 12:56 AM
id get the mio because its all-in-one.

I like audi, nice a3. My mom has an A6. I plan on possibly getting an A4, soon.

Kowalski
06-01-2004, 09:47 AM
i'd get a3 :roll:

jlw
06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Come on guys. What should I do?

Mio or ipaq?

the-mang
06-01-2004, 05:42 PM
I would go for the iPaq. I owned 5 mio558 and the quality of the unit was utter garbage....took over 6 weeks to get a refund and then Mio would never call me back.....just my opinion....

Pat Logsdon
06-01-2004, 06:10 PM
I'd get the iPaq w/the Fortuna Clip-On. That's what I use, and it's been excellent. The main advantage of taking this route is that you're not tied to one particular PDA. You can upgrade your Pocket PC several times and still keep the same GPS unit. The Pocket PC just has to have bluetooth and you're good to go. Plus, the Fortuna really is a great device, with excellent reception. It also uses a Nokia cell phone battery, so you can always replace it if it goes bad, unlike a GPS unit with an internal battery.

To read more about the Fortuna and other bluetooth GPS units, I'd encourage you to check out gpspassion.com. (http://www.gpspassion.com) Lots of great info there. Good luck!

P.S.: Nice car! I have a VW GTI (2 door Golf to you) with the 1.8t engine. I'd love to "upgrade" to an A3, but Audi needs to make it available here in North America first! :evil:

jlw
06-02-2004, 12:28 AM
I'd get the iPaq w/the Fortuna Clip-On. That's what I use, and it's been excellent. The main advantage of taking this route is that you're not tied to one particular PDA. You can upgrade your Pocket PC several times and still keep the same GPS unit. The Pocket PC just has to have bluetooth and you're good to go. Plus, the Fortuna really is a great device, with excellent reception. It also uses a Nokia cell phone battery, so you can always replace it if it goes bad, unlike a GPS unit with an internal battery.

To read more about the Fortuna and other bluetooth GPS units, I'd encourage you to check out gpspassion.com. (http://www.gpspassion.com) Lots of great info there. Good luck!

P.S.: Nice car! I have a VW GTI (2 door Golf to you) with the 1.8t engine. I'd love to "upgrade" to an A3, but Audi needs to make it available here in North America first! :evil:

Thank you for the reply! I go for the ipaq and fortuna.

Audi a3 1,8 is a great car. But it's expeeensive. I can guess its halv the price in US. A Volvo S60R are about the halv the price.

The 1,8t engine is great tuning engine. No problem getting 200 horepower. What you need is a new chip and a sportexhaust. :) Wy dont you go for the s3? Its a realy nice car to.

Have a nice day!
/ Johan

popabawa
06-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Another thumbs up for the Fortuna Clip-On from me.

I've had since pretty much it came out and it's been flawless for in-car navigation and on foot :)

Jonathon Watkins
11-26-2004, 10:34 AM
How long has the Fortuna Clip-On been out guys? Should there be a replacement soon? Have you upgraded yours to Xtrac2?