View Full Version : Pocket PC Tech RAM upgrade

V I P E R X
05-31-2004, 09:52 PM
I was thinking about doing the Pocket PC Tech RAM upgrade soon on my iPAQ 1935 (I e-mailed them and they said it's the same process as the 1940/45) and was wondering if "stacked" memory meant that it was available in start-settings-system-memory, or if it was in a seperate place. I was leaning toward this because I want to have more program memory so everything will run smoother.

Jason Dunn
05-31-2004, 11:33 PM
It installs like a memory card so when you're installing programs via ActiveSync you select the extra RAM as the storage location, and you can leave your main RAM for running the programs.

arnage2
06-01-2004, 12:54 AM
its really expensive, though. Id invest in a nicer unit or a 512mb sd instead of the ram upgrade.

Sven Johannsen
06-01-2004, 04:13 AM
I find the extra internal RAM disk very beneficial on my single slot device (4155). Even though it is only 64M, it allows me to install all my programs to that location. That lets me freely change out my SD memory and peripherals. This is not as big an issue on my dual slot 2215 where the SD memory can stay and I still have a CF slot for extra memory and peripherals.

Kowalski
06-01-2004, 09:40 AM
its really expensive, though. Id invest in a nicer unit or a 512mb sd instead of the ram upgrade. this seems much more logical.

but do you realy need this. if i am not mistaken you have more than 15 megs of rom storage which might be ehough for installing programs.

i am curious about the cost in to power usage side. is there a noticable power drain increase?

V I P E R X
06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
That's a good question I forgot to ask. Does it get any worse battery life? That's a big issue to me because the 1900 series doesn't have a larger battery option. Normally I would get a bigger memory card, but I would just find that 64MB internally would be a larger help because it'd free up both of my 128MB SD cards. Just having the extra program memory and internal space would be worth $100 IMO. It's actually saving me from upgrading my unit. I'm trying to wait for a ~$400 new unit with the next Windows Mobile on it (as in like 2005). Thanks all who replied.

Jason Dunn
06-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah, it does increase the battery drain, though not by very much (maybe 5%).