View Full Version : Ipaq 2215 thoughts

milkman dan
05-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Heya, I am wondering what your opinions of this pda are? specifically for gaming as well, will this sucker be able to play pocketquake at a descent framerate?

Willmonwah
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
It's been my experience that the d-pad on the 2210 tends to wear out and become less and less accurate, misregistering button presses. In benchmark tests, the 2215 is often the slower of a batch of similarly XScale equipped processors.

It's a great device and nice value, but just watch out for those two issues.

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 10:08 AM
It's been my experience that the d-pad on the 2210 tends to wear out and become less and less accurate
i have the same since the first day.
quake II is soooo slow to play at this time but give some time to developers.
quake I is not fast but you can play anyway
what i realy like about this unit is double slots and CIR

tramontano
06-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Having same D pad issue - thinking of using a dab of super glue - then putting D pad back on.

Willmonwah
06-14-2004, 01:20 AM
I tried pocket quake recently, and since I need the onscreen controls, I can't play it in a video mode bigger than 240x180. It seems smooth enough, although not perfectly smooth.

milkman dan
06-14-2004, 07:30 AM
honestly, it place quake good enough for me, and I am a performance addict when it comes to this sorta thing (I owned a rage fury maxx about 5 years ago :O ) I have no problems with the Dpad yet.. should I be worrying? :(

Willmonwah
06-14-2004, 07:51 AM
So you've gotten it already? Congrats! BTW, don't use the slip case that came with the 2215. It scratches your grips. The active armor (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,27765)PPCT reviewed looks like it'd be really cool. I'd invest if I didn't already have an ok Clear case (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,26904).

milkman dan
06-14-2004, 10:02 AM
are you serious? the little slip in case was the first welfare case that came with a pda that I actually LOVE! my ONLY complaints is that the front of it doesn't have any resistance to bending >_< I got it about 1 week ago and have had a blast with this thing. goign from the TERRIBLE 12 bit (4k colour) washed out screen to this was nice. When I whent from my e-100 (16bit/64k colours) to my 3670 was rediculous. I am compleatly in love with this pda, though I haven't touched any other new pdas yet. I was thinking of sellign this and picking up an x30, but the lack of CF slot will bug me later on :( the only thing this device is missing in my opinionis wifi. I would toss bluetooth out the window for wireless anyday. I had the FIRST bluetooth computer ever, the MSI E-MAX2-BLRU was the first motherboard made with bluetooth, and I didn't use it once >:|

Perk
06-16-2004, 10:01 PM
I just upgraded the ROM to version 1.10 and think it's a little faster.

I just got 2215 so I wouldn't know about the pad. However, This is not my first iPAQ and I bought the three year next business day EXCHANGE warranty for $99. I think it's a great deal because my pdas get beat and when there's a functionality issue, they ship you another one and youstick your old one in the box for them to deal with. They also ship you replacement cradles n stuff if yours breaks.

About gaming, I had an H3835 which was pretty good except for Pocket Quake. My son has an H1910 which really sucks for some games and OK for others. The H2215 Version 1.10 works great on every game I've tried so far and the screen is brighter and crisper than I'm use to although not as snapy as the H1910.

I've tried Age of Empires (SD), Argentum, Turjah I & II, Namco Pacman (best version), Flux Challenge demo and a few others, all are very smooth and easy to see. The pad is awsome. You have to learn to not press directly down, but it's the best game controller I've had since my old Casio E120.

There is overclockingsoftware for this machine for power users but I haven't felt the need to try. If you're really into gaming, I think Dell has a 600mHz PDA.

Probably the most demanding software I run is Pocket Co-Pilot, which is so big that I have it installed on the SD card since the GPS card is in the CF slot. My old PPC use to barely get the job done with it in main memory. This one lets me open other programs while the gps is tracking me and hardly skips a beat.

Good luck in your decision.

Kerensky97
06-17-2004, 02:07 PM
are you serious? the little slip in case was the first welfare case that came with a pda that I actually LOVE!
I agree the slipcase is nice, it protects the iPAQ really well but after 10 months I finally decided to get a new case because when I remove the iPAQ to enter some new info in I have to hold the slipcase and the iPAQ in one hand and the stylus in the other. I just had the feeling that with the case and iPAQ being so thick it might slip out of my hand and of course the iPAQ being on top would be the first thing to fall.

It's something you might want to keep in mind as you're getting used to the new PDA.