View Full Version : Brand names

Kowalski
05-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Do you think your admitted dislike for HP could be biasing you at all?
well to be honest, maybe yes maybe not.
i stated befoure i hate the companies who charge extra money only for the brand name.
and the top of the list sits nokia!

Kacey Green
05-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Nike, MS, Apple

Kowalski
05-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Nike, MS, Apple
this subject is realy going out of the way :?
but i must say that i hate apple too :wink:

Kacey Green
05-28-2004, 09:00 PM
I think the conversation flowed this way, (this is the only post I see that can definatly without a doubt be split but it relates to the discussion)

Zack Mahdavi
05-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Nike, MS, Apple

I know this is off topic, but why the heck do you hate Microsoft AND Apple? Generally, people are on at least one side of the fence.

So if you hate Microsoft, which has 90% of the OS market, and Apple, which has 5% of the OS market, then what operating system do you run? Linux? Solaris? BeOS?

I especially wonder why you hate Apple. I mean, if you like a Pocket PC, you would have loved a Newton. :)

Kacey Green
05-28-2004, 09:59 PM
I didn't say I hated any of them (I wear Nike eyeglasses, Run MS everything, and am saving for an HP IPOD)

i stated before i hate the companies who charge extra money only for the brand name

Zack Mahdavi
05-28-2004, 10:03 PM
I didn't say I hated any of them (I wear Nike eyeglasses, Run MS everything, and am saving for an HP IPOD)

i stated before i hate the companies who charge extra money only for the brand name

Sorry, miscommunication... :oops:

Kati Compton
05-29-2004, 05:29 AM
Posts split from here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=249868#249868

mscdex
05-29-2004, 08:09 AM

An HP IPOD?

Kowalski
05-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Posts split from here:
wow i've never seen a moderator doing this befoure. i this subject and my nick as the author and said " hey i didnt make a new topic "
so it seems that this will be a long subject.

So if you hate Microsoft, which has 90% of the OS market, and Apple, which has 5% of the OS market, then what operating system do you run? Linux? Solaris? BeOS?

i dont like microsoft eighter but i hate linux and mac more than i dislike microsoft so i use microsoft too. if someone comes with a better alternative someday, i'll switch my OS for sure but this is wont happen for sure

Kacey Green
05-29-2004, 08:16 PM
saving for an HP IPOD)

An HP IPOD?

Yes a while back HP announced a partnership with Apple, and on of the features was to be a blue HP IPOD with the capability of playing WMAs

Zack Mahdavi
05-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Yes a while back HP announced a partnership with Apple, and on of the features was to be a blue HP IPOD with the capability of playing WMAs

Actually, I don't think it will play WMAs. The iPod chipset can support WMA decoding, but Apple hasn't enabled it for a reason. Carly Fiorna and Steve Jobs both agreed (after much debating) that the HP iPod would not support WMA.

Here's a Wired article (http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,61897,00.html) that confirms that. You'd be better off just to be buying a regular iPod and start enjoying it early! :)

Kati Compton
05-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Posts split from here:
wow i've never seen a moderator doing this befoure.
We do it all the time here. ;)

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 05:57 AM
i dont like microsoft eighter but i hate linux and mac more than i dislike microsoft so i use microsoft too. if someone comes with a better alternative someday, i'll switch my OS for sure but this is wont happen for sure
So, it sounds like you dislike most computer brands in the first place. :P

Personally, I take a different tack: I generally enjoy most brands, and pick the ones that fit my needs the best. I use both Windows and Linux solutions, for example. I've owned Compaq/HP and Toshiba units. I generally avoid brands when I have lousy support experiences, more than anything else.

--janak

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 09:42 AM
what i love about microsoft is MSDN and visual studio couple.
in the linux world there isnt such good documentation and developing tools
so i am always microsoft side because it fits my needs best

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 07:43 PM
in the linux world there isnt such good documentation and developing tools
I disagree there, but we're getting off-topic on an off-topic thread, so I won't persist any longer. ;)

--janak

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 08:02 PM
but we're getting off-topic on an off-topic thread
hey this is why kati made a different subject than the starting point
i love off topic!!!

Kacey Green
05-31-2004, 05:27 AM

Actually, I don't think it will play WMAs. The iPod chipset can support WMA decoding, but Apple hasn't enabled it for a reason. Carly Fiorna and Steve Jobs both agreed (after much debating) that the HP iPod would not support WMA.

Here's a Wired article (http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,61897,00.html) that confirms that. You'd be better off just to be buying a regular iPod and start enjoying it early! :)

Well in that case, iTunes now supports WMA conversions, but by the time I can afford an iPOD the HPOD may be availible, hopfully at the same or lower price point.

Kowalski
05-31-2004, 10:45 AM
i dont get this. any person having a pocketpc also caries a stand alone mp3 player??? why dont you buy a micro drive instead

GoldKey
05-31-2004, 01:49 PM
i dont get this. any person having a pocketpc also caries a stand alone mp3 player??? why dont you buy a micro drive instead

I don't think microdrives are available in 15/20/40 GB sizes. Plus, given the price of the smaller microdrives, they would be very expensive in this size even if they were available. Also, battery life. I can run my DJ for 2 full days at work between charges.

Janak Parekh
05-31-2004, 04:23 PM
In addition to what Goldkey said, my main Pocket PC doesn't have CF. Additionally, the vast majority of Pocket PCs don't have a remote control.

A Pocket PC is a great way of doing MP3 listening -- I used it for years -- but for heavy listening, I personally prefer a standalone player.

--janak

Kowalski
06-01-2004, 10:41 PM
the vast majority of Pocket PCs don't have a remote control.
agree. most of the time controlling music is diffucult. you have to take out your device from the case and put back just to crank up the volume or skip to next song.

ctmagnus
06-02-2004, 02:44 AM
you have to take out your device from the case and put back just to crank up the volume...

I have a $7 extension from Radio Shack that has an inline volume control. I set the volume on my PPC to the highest I'll want it and control the volume from the extension.

Kati Compton
06-02-2004, 04:43 AM
you have to take out your device from the case and put back just to crank up the volume...

I have a $7 extension from Radio Shack that has an inline volume control. I set the volume on my PPC to the highest I'll want it and control the volume from the extension.
Hmm - you don't get distortion that way? I find that both on my laptop and my PPC, at the highest volume at least a little distortion is introduced. So when I'm using either with an FM transmitter, I set the volume one notch below maximum, and then use the car volume for anoything beyond that.

ctmagnus
06-02-2004, 04:48 AM
I don't set it as loud as it goes; I set it as loud as I might want it in a particular session. ;) I agree about the distortion thing.

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 08:30 AM
You don't notice that effect nearly as much with a soundblaster audigy 2 zs platnium (goodness if the next version has such long names I'll be cross)