View Full Version : wifi laptop to ppc question

Canuck
05-29-2004, 04:42 AM
I need some basic advice before making some big purchases.

I do not have a wireless network at home and my system is getting old and buggy. If I buy a laptop as a desktop replacement, and that laptop has built in wifi, can I then plug my ethernet cable into the laptop for internet access (Bell Sympatico in Canada), and use a wifi enabled PPC to gain internet access?

I hate spending money and then finding out I'm -almost- where I want to be.

Thanks

sylvangale
05-29-2004, 06:52 AM
It would be better for you to buy a WAP (wireless access point). You can then plug the ethernet cable into the WAP and be free to run around the house with your laptop or PDA which connect wirelessly to the WAP which is hooked up to your ethernet.

You can find WAPs as low as $30 nowadays.

Canuck
05-30-2004, 03:00 AM
Sounds sensible. I was always unoer the impression that at the WAP (or the main line in for the internet) I had to have a computer running.
While I'm sure it has its challeges to set up, it doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks!

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 06:01 AM
Sounds sensible. I was always unoer the impression that at the WAP (or the main line in for the internet) I had to have a computer running.
While I'm sure it has its challeges to set up, it doesn't sound too bad.
As long as you get a wireless access point with Internet sharing capabilities built-in (more commonly called a "wireless router"), you don't need a PC on. Make sure you look a little carefully, as you can also buy APs that don't have said Internet sharing.

--janak

skewline
06-03-2004, 09:41 PM
forgive my dumb question, but to be specific, is a WAP a router? i have an hp laptop with built in 802.11b - (wifi?) - and a cf wifi card for my 2215 ipaq. my neighbor has loaned me a netgear wireless router (WGR 614) to see if i could make it work. i can't get the laptop to use the signal from the router, tho i tried the connection wizard and reinstalled my comcast software (i have cable internet)
when i read chris herrerra's site, i get confused with too much language too soon.
is there an idiot's guide for this? and again, is a WAP a router? thank you

Paul Martin
06-06-2004, 11:01 PM
A WAP by itself is not a router, though a wireless router can function as an access point. Think of it this way, the WAP allows a point of connectivity from wireless devices to the wired network. The router actually has the ability to direct traffic, assign IPs, etc.

In your scenario, I believe you would plug your cable internet into the WAN port on the back of your Netgear. To do the initial setup using the netgear, you will most likely have to run an ethernet cable directly from the router --- one of the LAN ports -- to the PC (but not connected to the internet). This will enable you to configure your router. If you have DHCP turned on, it allows the Netgear router (this can be turned on and off in the settings) to hand out IP addresses to the various PC's connected, even though your cable company only gives you 1 address.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not using your setup so cannot give greater tips, but perhaps a search in older posts on this forum will help.

p.s. I've only had my router for about a month and it can be very confusing at first...this is NOT a dumb question! :D

skewline
06-07-2004, 07:30 AM
pmradio, thank you for that answer. it helped me to read the whole thread again with more comprehension. it seems to me that a WAP might be sufficient for my needs: one laptop without trailing that cumbersome blue wire around the house, and my ipaq that really is a definite 2nd for needing the internet. However, if i want to include our older desktop in my planning, so i'd have 2 'puters enabled, then i should get the router because it is smarter?
My son and family is stationed in Clarksville, and we have great friends in Knoxville.

Paul Martin
06-07-2004, 08:29 PM
pmradio, thank you for that answer. it helped me to read the whole thread again with more comprehension. it seems to me that a WAP might be sufficient for my needs: one laptop without trailing that cumbersome blue wire around the house, and my ipaq that really is a definite 2nd for needing the internet. However, if i want to include our older desktop in my planning, so i'd have 2 'puters enabled, then i should get the router because it is smarter?
My son and family is stationed in Clarksville, and we have great friends in Knoxville.

Generally, because the prices of routers are inexpensive, go ahead and get the router. And yes, it is my understanding that with more than one device needing access, you will need a router. However, what's nice is if you don't need the routing functions, you can just turn them off. :)

p.s. I hope your son is safe and well. Pass along word of appreciation for his service.