View Full Version : connect to work or internet?

yournamehere
05-28-2004, 10:34 PM
can someone explain the differences of connecting to the internet and work? I've been lookin around and am not coming up with anything.

thanks

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 05:39 AM
It's a very poor distinction, one that I think most MVPs have complained about to Microsoft.

In any case, the idea is that "Work" has all the features of an "Internet" connection, but also has the ability to handle ActiveSync-over-network. Work can also use VPNs to connect to the LAN over which various services will be accessed.

The Pocket PC OS typically distinguishes between a "Work-only" connection and a regular "Work or Internet" connection by looking at the hostname of the service: if it's lacking a period (like SERVER as opposed to www.google.com), it'll try to make it go through Work. I think WM2003 allows you to use a different "distinguishing" metric, but I haven't played with that.

Anyway... what do you need? In general, the strategy is to play with Connection Manager, choose one "route", and fiddle until it works. And yes, I know that's not ideal. :|

--janak

Kowalski
05-30-2004, 08:10 PM
in wm2003 you can make entirely different settings for work and internet connections.
i use work for BT networking and internet for gprs

yournamehere
06-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Janak,
That is a much better description then what HP tried to explain and the document they e-mailed me.

Kevin C. Tofel
06-03-2004, 06:07 PM
In any case, the idea is that "Work" has all the features of an "Internet" connection, but also has the ability to handle ActiveSync-over-network.

Janak,

Can you reconfirm one item of note: in order to wirelessly synch you MUST use the Work connection. I've always thought that was the case and if so, I think it's an often overlooked cause of anguish when folks try to synch via WiFi.

Thanks!
KCT

Paul Martin
06-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Chris DeHerrera has a good technical explanation of what the different settings are supposed to do here (http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/connectionmanager.htm).