View Full Version : Poll criticism

pr0vider
05-27-2004, 04:04 AM
This thread split off from http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28394 for being insanely off topic.
Isn't this poll a bit early, considering that HP hasn't bellied up to the bar yet?

:?:

Ed Hansberry
05-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Isn't this poll a bit early, considering that HP hasn't bellied up to the bar yet?
:rotfl: It never fails. No matter how much you think about a poll or how simple it is, someone always has a complaint.

SeanH
05-27-2004, 05:09 AM
:?:

Not really... Consider that there have been a bunch of rumors/releases of PPC2003SE devices in the last few weeks and what we're seeing is a (to me VERY surprising) prevelance of the old QVGA screens. My personal attitude is that my 1910 is THE LAST unit I'll EVER own with QVGA. I'm going to VGA next and never coming back. It seems, however, that the manufacturers are betting that they can schlep at least one more generation of QVGA. This community's reaction to the issue is likely to be quite interesting.
“what we're seeing is a (to me VERY surprising) prevelance of the old QVGA screens” That’s because there is only one VGA PPC PDA shipping today. The survey should have been worded

How many people own a Toshiba e805
How many people own a PDA beside the Toshiba e805.
I don't own a Pocket PC but want to vote anyway

If you would like to send a message to the manufactures of PDA's stating we want VGA in future PDA’s the survey should looked like this.

How many people plan on upgrading there PDA for VGA (480X640) in the next 3 months.
How many people are happy with QVGA (240X320)

Sean

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 05:47 AM
sorry SeanH but your poll has more holes than the current one

Jonathon Watkins
05-27-2004, 10:22 AM
sorry SeanH but your poll has more holes than the current one

:huh:

Kacey, I asked a poll question, to which there were two genuine answers. Either you have a VGA device, or you don't, plus the 'just messing around' answer that folks want in a poll.

I am looking for this specific information, with a follow up poll later today.

I know all about what current VGA devices are out at the moment, and this is the question I chose to ask. Nice and simple. How is there a 'hole' in this question? :?:

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 12:55 PM
@ Jonathon Watkins, I agree with you, I thought it a perfectly valid, Poll, I was referring to the perceived hole that user saw.
Congrats on a poll that didn't have any valid rebuttes

pr0vider
05-27-2004, 05:51 PM

Bingo! :D

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 06:07 PM
:lol: that too would work

Ed Hansberry
05-27-2004, 06:37 PM

No, not bingo. There are VGA users out there with beta devices. Jonathan nailed the poll. Isn't there something else that needs micromanaging besides PPCT polls?

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I said it before and I'll reiterate this, I think this is a very well designed poll, it encopases all people without making people guess which choice they should make, and it's simplistic (that's a good thing too many choices can be confusing)

Kevin C. Tofel
05-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Isn't there something else that needs micromanaging besides PPCT polls?

I forsee a poll coming out to answer that question...... :wink: Just kidding Ed....sorry to go OT, but I couldn't resist that one.

Clearly based on the large number of responses, the poll is just fine!!!

KCT

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 07:10 PM
if I remember correctly they did do this before.

Tom W.M.
05-28-2004, 12:30 AM

Nononononononononono! That won't work.

See, I do own a PDA besides the Toshiba e805, yet I also don't own a Pocket PC and want to vote. Which option should I choose?

Let's stop criticising the poll. There's nothing serious wrong with it, and all this discussion has killed the real discussion the poll was meant for.

I'm in favor of the Nydidot poll that Vector suggested—that would be interesting.

SeanH
05-28-2004, 03:55 AM
See, I do own a PDA besides the Toshiba e805, yet I also don't own a Pocket PC and want to vote. Which option should I choose?
The poll was labed "Do you currently own a VGA Pocket PC?" If you have a VGA PDA but its not a Pocket PC the answer would be no.

It was pointed out that some of the votes maybe people with beta units. I am sure out of the 210 people the number of beta units has to be very small. Its amazing there are 210 people out of 1628 votes that have a Toshiba e805.

Sean

Jonathon Watkins
05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Guys, do you think that it's possible that maybe, just maybe, I actually asked the question I wanted to ask? :wink:

I am fully aware of the kinds of users that come to PPCT, which is (as Ed suggested) that I deliberately asked about VGA, rather than specific model numbers.

As mentioned, I am impressed by how many users with VGA units there already are. 8)