View Full Version : Would you play a game like this?

JakeP
05-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Hello, I am a bit new to Pocket PC software development, but I have started on a Project called Pocket Game Network. Basicly, it is an online game network allowing you to play turn-based games with other people on the internet using a Pocket PC 2003 device. It only works if you have a working internet connection on your handheld.

Here are some screenshots of what I have done so far:
http://www.ti-news.net/jake/PGN.jpg
http://www.ti-news.net/jake/Quadlinker.jpg

So far, I have one simple game done, Quadlinker, which is basicly a connect 4 clone. I am working on a very nice, HTML interface for the client program as well.

I am posting this just to see how much interest there is in the community for a game like this, and if anyone has any suggestions.

Blue Zero
05-28-2004, 01:04 AM
8O cool! This looks interesting enough...

but does it must be on a internet connection?
or can it be play via BlueToothy?

Jon Westfall
05-28-2004, 01:43 AM
It would be nice to support play by internet, wifi, bluetooth, or (shutter) IrDA. I would play it, providing the price was right.

Brad Adrian
05-28-2004, 02:13 AM
I think what you're doing looks great! Most of us are pretty new to remote gaming on our Pocket PCs, so I'm excited to see new stuff like this. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse. And, if you need any help with testing, feel free to drop the Thoughts readers or Editorial Team a line.

lmbranco
05-28-2004, 10:44 AM
It sure looks like a very interesting ideia. I am a big fan of network play, and if you add suport for bluetooth, irda and other modes, then you will have a winner!

Good job man!!

JakeP
05-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Here are answers to some of your questions:

1. It will be 100% freeware. No ads or subscription fees either.

2. It will only be playable over an internet connection, not with BT or IRDA. The reason for this is that I don't have a BT PDA nor do I feel like buying one. Also, it uses the central server to store stats and usernames as well.

Ecks
05-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Def a cool app! Well done.

JakeP
05-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Regarding testing, I will probably post another topic within a week or two. I will probably have ten or so people for the testing. The problem with such a game is that you can only play when other people are online, so play sessions will be organized weekly at a certain time. After that, I will take the bug reports, fix up the program, and improve the program before the next play test.

The game already has a nice patching system that keeps everything up-to date with a central server, so adding updates, even after release will be very easy.

JakeP
05-29-2004, 04:02 AM
I have filmed a live video Demonstration running on two Pocket PC 2003 emulators. It basicly shows the simple process of running the program, and playing through a game.

It shows the very nice patching system that's already in place and operational, then the user logs in, and joins a game. Once the system has paired up the two players, a connection is formed, and they are allowed to chat and of course, play the game :P

You can view the video here: http://www.ti-news.net/jake/livedemo1.avi

(DivX codex is required)

Zack Mahdavi
05-29-2004, 07:40 AM
I have filmed a live video Demonstration running on two Pocket PC 2003 emulators. It basicly shows the simple process of running the program, and playing through a game.

Jake, that looks very cool! Keep up the good work... I can see myself sitting at a doctor's office waiting in line... I could pull out my Pocket PC, connect to the internet, and play someone via PocketGameNet. That's a really good idea of yours... good luck with the game!

JakeP
05-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks, I am currently trying to port over the one game, Quadlinker to use the Game API. The client and patcher will still be regular programs though.

Ryan Joseph
05-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Since I got my Pocket PC Phone with GPRS Internet, I've been looking for something like this! I've always thought remote gaming was a cool idea. There was a post a while back about a turn based game similar to Civilization for PPCs that might work over GPRS, but I don't know what happened to it. This looks cool!

I volunteer to help with the testing if you need it. :mrgreen: