View Full Version : Wireless router / Access Point problem

popabawa
05-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I know the cleverest people on the internet are here so here's hoping.... :D

Here's what I have now;
I've just bought a D-Link Wireless ADSL Router. It works perfectly, connected to my main PC with a LAN cable and wirelesly to my laptop and Pocket PC. So there's no problems with settings etc.

What I'd like to do;
I have a spare Belkin Wireless Access Point. I'd like to connect to the Wireless Router using the Wireless AP instead of the LAN cable.

Hmmmm, tried it. Got ABSOLUTELY nowhere.

When I connect wirelessly with my laptop, it's easy, I get a list of available AP's, connect and I'm away. You don't get any of that with the Access Point as (I'm guessing) it's not expecting to have to look wirelessly for the internet connection.

I'm stumped, can anyone help?

Iain.

OSUKid7
05-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Not exactly sure what you want to do, but here's my guess.

You have a wireless router, and another access point. You want to connect the access point to your router via WiFi instead of Ethernet.

Right? I'm not entirely sure that's even possible. I think you can have your AP act as a wireless bridge, but then it cannot act as an AP. e.g. if you have two separate parts of a network, an AP can hook up to one, and use the wireless bridge feature to connect to the other part.

popabawa
05-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Yup, that's what I'm trying to do.

I'm also thinking it's not possible :cry:

that_kid
05-27-2004, 10:43 PM
It can be done but not with equipment you have :( .

popabawa
05-28-2004, 02:14 PM
That seems to have sorted that out then!

Thanks for the reply's guys :)

At least I should be able to sell the AP and buy a WiFi adaptor with the proceeds.

Iain.