View Full Version : Blah. Zires look awesome. my PPC looks...

wing
05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Wow! I was playing with the new Zires (rubberized exterior) and they are really cool!

I don't know why they "seem" more stable than my Toshiba PPC...they feel durable, look great, and switch between applications quickly. And they have a cameral on the back! And they do multimedia! Did i mention the screen looks phenomenal????

Hurm.

I am hoping my PPC is sluggish simply because I have hundreds of Tasks, Contacts, and files it it...

The main reason I love PPC is because of the integrated MS Office Applications and Transcriber all as basic tools. But I am getting bored with it...

BUT the new Zires really make me want to switch over.

keep me on the team! help!

Kowalski
05-27-2004, 05:48 PM
functionality is more important then looking!
there is no doubt that ppc s are far better than palms in most areas.
what is that you can do with a palm and cant do with a ppc
but i can make a very long list that pocket pcs do but palms dont

c38b2
05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
functionality is more important then looking!
there is no doubt that ppc s are far better than palms in most areas.
what is that you can do with a palm and cant do with a ppc
but i can make a very long list that pocket pcs do but palms dont
This is a little off topic (the right forum though) but here goes.

The fundamental difference in argument from the Palm camp as opposed the the PPC camp has been an issue of quanitity vs. quality. Pocket PC users are concerned with what is capable of doing (hence such mantras like W?BIC!) when Palm users emphasize that Palm handhelds do what they do well. Sure, there is some overlap, but for the most part PPC users (like Kowalski) are concerned with capability rather than the things mentioned by wing (more stable, fast app switching).

I went back to Palm because I felt that I didn't need the capability that a PPC offers beyond the essential PIM in addition to feeling like my PPC was sluggish and getting it to do anything when I wanted it to felt like an uphill battle (involving soft resets and hangs). My response to you wing is "to each his own" - I certainly don't miss my PPC and I'm happier now that I'm back in the embrace of Palm. :)

Oh, by the way, I had a Toshiba too. :wink:

Jon Westfall
05-27-2004, 08:15 PM
you couldn't pay me enough to use a zire... ;)

wing
05-28-2004, 06:16 AM
I'm seeing that the palms now are doing what ppc's have done.

and they really look/feel SLICK!!!!

I am starting to like my ppc more though...
after a few REG HACKS, it is starting to look fresh and exciting again.

What about the speed of it though? I think most of us are information herders...i keep a virtual encyclopedia, reading library, music library, and some images with me.

How can i speed things up? With overclocking the XScale, battery life suffers and you might crash. it's not worth it for me.

groan.

also, perhaps an exciting skin of some kind, that pervades all applications will get me excited. does such a beast exist? I would love to "imac"-ize my ppc...but i bet that it will slow down even more!

double-groan.

Alsicole
07-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I own both a Zire 72 and ipaq 4150. They each have different things installed and have different roles. The Z72 is pretty quick. In tests it's as quick as the Tungsten T3 which is the top of the line Palm. The Z72 has the new Intel PXA270 processor running 312mHz which is pretty quick for a Palm unit. The screen is nice, but you might miss having a rectangular screen. The camera is not a reason for buying this PDA, in the same way that you wouldn't buy a mobile phone to get a digital camera. It's adequate for quick snapshots in nice brightly lit conditions. It's pretty rubbish in darker conditions. It does, however, let you store a photo in your address book.

Anyway, this info is just supposed to be information and help YOU make a decision as to what PDA you'd like next whether it be Palm or PPC.

sylvangale
07-17-2004, 02:49 AM
I would like to hear about some of the vastly superior software that is available to only a PPC.

The only thing that sets a Palm and PPC apart to me is the file management system.

And quite frankly the Palm system is well designed for ANYONE. A non-PC person would be frustrated as all hell with a PPC unless they learn how to use "explorer" on their own and are guided to Wisebar by someone.

PPC Philosphy: What you see is what you get. Run a program, find your files. Find your files, run a program.

Palm Philosophy: Why see files you can't use. Run your program. See all files for program. Why search?

I will always recommend a Palm to someone new to PDAs/Computing, but I will recommend a PPC for computer control freaks.

If you are sitting on a fence between Palm and PPC. Choose the device that offers you the HARDWARE you desire. Someone will always come around and make the software later. :wink:

Note: When comparing square Palms to rectangle PPCs... pay notice to your resolution. You can see more on some screen than others regardless of shape.

shanipaqman
07-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Okay, I'm new to the forum but not to ppc and palm....I am in a new quandry that maybe you all can weigh in on...

I love my Ipaq 3955, before that I came from Palm Vx which served me more reliably I must admit. It serves my wife faithfully 5 years later.

I am a Sprint PCS customer and I now want a combined unit. The only decent combination pda/phone is the Treo 600 and I am seriously considering switching back due to the functionality of what I need.

I actually want to hold out for the new 610 that is supposedly coming this Fall, but here are my needs.

Basic PIM with Mp3 ability, web, phone, email.

Does that sound like it's worth switching back? I have a 2 year contract on 2 phones that I don't want to pay $300 to get out of to go to another cell company.

Thanks for the opinions.
shannon

sylvangale
07-25-2004, 06:33 PM
There are a couple things to consider if you want to pick up a Treo:

1) Yes it's all in one, but it's a phone first. Can you live with a substantially smaller screen?

2) What does the PPC offer for you that you cannot find on a Palm? If it's merely design... there are programs to make a Palm look like a PPC (and vice versa!).

Fishie
07-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Ive been playing around with the Zire 72 for about a week now and put it up for trade.
Its a nice and good feeling machine but the square screen for me just doesnt cut it, multimedia capabilities are incredible for a palm but I did manage to make the thing crash by simply runing bejeweld and an mp3 at the same time.

I mean WTF, on my e800 I could fire up 3 different MP3 players all playing a different song and still play the game simultanously.

shanipaqman
07-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Is it really worth it to have a combined unit? I understand that the web surfing is not as good as a pda, but better than a cell phone...I guess there's some room for improvement on these darn things eh?

thanks

sylvangale
07-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Oi! Fishie what are you doing to your poor PPC. I've had many a game crash without an Mp3 player running in the backgroung on my PPCs. If software is not well written it will crash your OS whether PPC or Palm.

A Zire 72 may not compare well to your VGA e800, but it's 320X320 square screen looks better than most PPC which are 320x240.

Fishie
07-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Oi! Fishie what are you doing to your poor PPC. I've had many a game crash without an Mp3 player running in the backgroung on my PPCs. If software is not well written it will crash your OS whether PPC or Palm.

A Zire 72 may not compare well to your VGA e800, but it's 320X320 square screen looks better than most PPC which are 320x240.

True true but the Zire 72 is still goin.
Ill probably get a PalmOS6 machine once those are out(only to get rid of it soon becouse of lack of true multitasking again im sure) :mrgreen: