View Full Version : Wireless web...

zoso1us
05-27-2004, 03:34 AM
I saw this thing mentioned here... Motorola MPX-220

But what I was wondering (and I am a very demanding consumer) is if anyone here can envision a day in which you can use your PPC and cell provider (Sprint in my case) to log onto the web, check e-mail and surf without incurring any EXTRA charges.

It could not be simpler... your "phone" part dials your ISP, and you log on. If you don't go over your allotted minutes...

Imagine, your surfing the web anywhere you want (without paying Starbuck $30 a month).

I know with Bluetooth, and before with wires this was theoretically possible, difficult at best to achieve for most folks. I'm sure there are problems I may not be aware of, like maybe a problem with staying connected with a poor signal... etc.

Just throwin' this out there...

Richard

Ryan Joseph
05-27-2004, 03:54 AM
This has been discussed here before (and I'm bringing it up again at the risk of another heated debate, but I'll do it anyway. :wink:)

T-Mobile offers free WAP access with all of their voice plans. I currently use it with my PPC Phone all the time. I check my email and web sites almost daily without ever incurring any additional fees.

The only problem with the free plan is that it doesn't allow all ports (for example, you can't go to secure sites for banking, etc.)

Also, it's slower than the pay-for service...but I'm willing to live with that because it's free. 8)

zoso1us
05-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Sorry to unwittingly rehash this, but I'm new here...

Ok, you’re saying its possible for your average Joe... that I didn't know.

My situation is that I have Sprint on an employee discount plan... I have more minutes per month than I ever use... $15 a month.

But, my point was that it seems to me that you should be able to do this with ANY cell provider, ANY pocket PC... as long as it's hardwired for your cell provider of course...

Your phone dials you ISP. Just like making any phone call. Your browser logs on. The device itself is the key. The cell provider shouldn't have to know or care that you’re dialing your ISP...