View Full Version : OMAP/XScale/ARM? - compatibility and comparisons?

galt
05-27-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm new to the PPC world, and in my ongoing research about PPC devices/OSs/software, I've noticed that many 3rd party programs for PPC devices often advertise compatibility with only certain processors. For example, web browser software Net Access 3.1 (http://nfppc.access.co.jp/english/about.html#04) mentions that the version of its software that has JV - Lite2 compatibility is only compatible with the XScale and ARM processors. It specifically states that it does not support MIPS and SH - 3 devices. I had e-mailed Access, the developers of this software, regarding MPx and TI OMAP support/compatibility and was sent a response stating that they "...don't plan to support the MPX on TI OMAP at this time.".

Here are my questions:

The yet-to-be-released Motorola MPx uses a TI OMAP processor. I've read up on the processor but I'm still confused... is OMAP truly ARM compatible? When I browse the TI web site (http://focus.ti.com/omap/docs/omapgenpage.tsp?navigationId=11555&templateId=5663&path=templatedata/cm/omapproc/data/integrated), it looks like at least some of the OMAP processors (http://focus.ti.com/omap/docs/omapgenpage.tsp?navigationId=9303&templateId=5663&path=templatedata/cm/omapproc/data/omap710) have integrated ARM processors.

In general in the PPC world, how often are there compatibility issues for software between processor types? Is the OMAP processor well supported?

In what I've read about the TI OMAP vs. the Intel XScale, true performance comparisons appear to be difficult, but it appears that the MHz # is not necessarily the sole factor by which the power of a device is accurately measured. The MPx (I know, I’m obsessed), is said to use a 200 MHz OMAP processor, is this at least fairly competitive? I’ve seen a few posts that frowned on the 200 MHz processor, but I’ve read a fair amount on the web that seems to say that a slower (MHz wise) OMAP processor can still compete with higher MHz XScale processors. Is this true, or am I just reading TI marketing hype?

arnage2
05-27-2004, 01:00 AM
ive never had any compatability issues with omap, xscale and arm. since they are all arm9 compliant

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 03:42 AM
The older devices did have program compatibility problems but since PPC 2002 OS, the devices have to be able to run ARM code, (unless they changed it and I missed the e-mail)

galt
05-27-2004, 03:48 AM
Very cool to hear, thanks for the help guys.

Anyone have any comments about the capability comparisons between different types of processors and specifically the news that the MPx will have a 200 MHz OMAP? Is that really underpowered?

Fishie
05-27-2004, 06:20 AM
Very cool to hear, thanks for the help guys.

Anyone have any comments about the capability comparisons between different types of processors and specifically the news that the MPx will have a 200 MHz OMAP? Is that really underpowered?

Compared to the OLD XScales running at 400MHz an OMAP 200MHz one was a little bit slower if im correct, compared to the newer ones its way behind.
Should still suffice for most things, just dont expect it to run snes games smoothly.

jnajera
05-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Not always true. Look at the 1945 ipaq, it has a 206 mz processor and it"s faster than most 400 mz xscale proccessors.

Fishie
05-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Not always true. Look at the 1945 ipaq, it has a 206 mz processor and it"s faster than most 400 mz xscale proccessors.

Its faster then the OLD PXA 250 400MHz XScale procesors.
Its slower then the 255 and higher model XSCale processors tough and thats running the same Win Mobile 2k3 OS.

jnajera
05-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Well I just happen to have a ipaq 2215 and a ipaq 1945, and alot of the times the 1945 sure does feel alot faster than the 2215!!!!

Kowalski
05-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Well I just happen to have a ipaq 2215 and a ipaq 1945, and alot of the times the 1945 sure does feel alot faster than the 2215!!!
there should be a problem with software configuration of 2215. normally 2215 is faster than 1945

TI is makes really good proccessors and especially DSP. i bealive that TI can make better proccessors than intel.

and for the compatibility most of the programmers use embedded visual tools. eVc has compilers for all the proccessor types and outputs exe files for all. then the installer chose the proccessor of the device and installs the compatible one. but the downside is you have to download the files which you'll never use. some people disturbuite them seperately so you have to know your hardware

Fishie
05-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Well I just happen to have a ipaq 2215 and a ipaq 1945, and alot of the times the 1945 sure does feel alot faster than the 2215!!!!

The 1945 has a 266MHz Samsung processor and yeah for some tasks it does beat the PXA 255 running at 400MHz, overall tough id say they are compareable with maybe a slight edge for the XScale.

Personaly I cant wait for the faster Samsung processors.

Kowalski
05-27-2004, 06:37 PM
the key is the sofware optimization! and the compilers who does the job.
i expect microsoft makes good optimizations for xscale but...