View Full Version : Flames vs. Lightning...

Janak Parekh
05-24-2004, 05:16 AM
Check it out:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5625

David's started up a Flames vs. Lightning thread. I have a feeling some of you will have an opinion on this. ;)

--janak

Kowalski
05-28-2004, 03:24 PM
I have a feeling some of you will have an opinion on this
seems that nobody has any :|

Jacob
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm hoping for the Flames.

I'd love to see a Canadian team(other than the Senators) win the cup!

JustinGTP
05-29-2004, 06:56 AM
Go Flames Go!

We have car flags and car paint and we have the red mile! Go Flames Go! 15 years baby!

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 06:03 AM
seems that nobody has any :|
I implied voting about it on the SPT thread, not necessarily here. ;)

Anyway, I see the Flames won today. I'm sure Calgary is quite the madhouse...

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-30-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm sure Calgary is quite the madhouse...

--janak

It's insane down here! We have a strip of pubs that has been dubbed The Red Mile. It's completely shut down after every game, espeically when we win. They've even banned parking on the street on game nights. 8)

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 06:50 AM
It's insane down here! We have a strip of pubs that has been dubbed The Red Mile. It's completely shut down after every game, espeically when we win. They've even banned parking on the street on game nights. 8)
I wouldn't want to be there the day the Cup is decided... one way or the other. 8O

(Oh, and it's technically "up there", not "down here". :P)

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-30-2004, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't want to be there the day the Cup is decided... one way or the other. 8O

I'm planning to head down there if I'm in town. I have faith that we'll keep things controlled though. I just missed the Vancouver riots by a week. I'm hoping I'm right in thinking Calgary will keep it civil.

(Oh, and it's technically "up there", not "down here". :P)

--janak

Good point. Maybe I didn't want to risk offending our Alaskan members. :mrgreen:

dh
05-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Yawn!
Does anyone outside of Calgary have the slightest interest? Pretty exciting for all you folks from that area though.

Jacob
05-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Yawn!
Does anyone outside of Calgary have the slightest interest?

Yes.

This is probably one of the better cup contests in a long time.

Jeff Rutledge
05-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Yawn!
Does anyone outside of Calgary have the slightest interest? Pretty exciting for all you folks from that area though.

I know there is a lot of interest in Canada. I'm not sure about the US. I heard that the first two games of this final round were the most-watched in the last few years. I don't know if that was a Canadian, US or NA stat though.

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 07:56 PM
I know there is a lot of interest in Canada. I'm not sure about the US. I heard that the first two games of this final round were the most-watched in the last few years. I don't know if that was a Canadian, US or NA stat though.
The insane ratings were in Canada. In the US, it's not doing much -- apart from Calgary not being the top US-watched market, the Lightning are playing in 80-degree weather, and it's not exactly appealing that way. ;)

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-31-2004, 02:26 AM
The insane ratings were in Canada. In the US, it's not doing much -- apart from Calgary not being the top US-watched market, the Lightning are playing in 80-degree weather, and it's not exactly appealing that way. ;)

--janak

That makes sense. The dismal contract from NBC for next year shows how large a gap there is between Canada and the US when it comes to hockey. Up here, if the Prime Minister had an important speech to make, he'd make sure he wasn't opposite Hockey Night in Canada. In fact, one of the "hottest" issues I can recall over the last couple of years wasn't political or financial, it was when CBC wasn't going to renew Ron MacLean's contract. :lol:

Janak Parekh
05-31-2004, 05:36 AM
That makes sense. The dismal contract from NBC for next year shows how large a gap there is between Canada and the US when it comes to hockey.
Well, the problem is that the big-market teams (like the Rangers) have been floundering. The worst part about it is the upcoming strike/lockout. They'll alienate the fanbase that watches along with the fanbase that doesn't. :(

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-31-2004, 03:37 PM
That makes sense. The dismal contract from NBC for next year shows how large a gap there is between Canada and the US when it comes to hockey.
Well, the problem is that the big-market teams (like the Rangers) have been floundering. The worst part about it is the upcoming strike/lockout. They'll alienate the fanbase that watches along with the fanbase that doesn't. :(

--janak

Agreed. Hockey isn't even top 4 in the US anymore. I think it's NFL, MLB, NBA and NASCAR (may have got the order wrong). Again, it's very strange to me because Hockey such a big part of Canadian culture. Hopefully they can figure something out to keep the league viable and attract new fans.

Janak Parekh
05-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Well, for what it's worth, a few Americans are noticing what's going down in Calgary. ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/31/international/americas/31calg.html?ex=1401422400&en=9e3c5ea1c4c73d39&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
05-31-2004, 07:08 PM
Well, for what it's worth, a few Americans are noticing what's going down in Calgary. ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/31/international/americas/31calg.html?ex=1401422400&en=9e3c5ea1c4c73d39&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

--janak

Pretty good article. It's interesting to see an outside perspective on things. I'm surprised to hear we're Canada's "annoying cousin." :)

Janak Parekh
05-31-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm surprised to hear we're Canada's "annoying cousin." :)
I found that funny too. Must be Jason's fault. :razzing:

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I'm surprised to hear we're Canada's "annoying cousin." :)
I found that funny too. Must be Jason's fault. :razzing:

--janak

:rotfl:

Sure, I'll go with that. :mrgreen:

Mark Kenepp
06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
...the Lightning are playing in 80-degree weather, and it's not exactly appealing that way. ;)

You know, a few years back, someone told me that someone did a study on the popularity of these warm weather hockey teams (i.e. Florida and Tampa Bay, Dallas, Phoenix, San Jose, etc.) and found that they were selling a fair amount of tickets but they were selling them to supporters of the opposing teams. There were enough transplants from hockey areas living there that they would come see their hometown team (not the home team) when they were in town.

I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I know a lot of Hockey fans here in San Francisco, most of them are from New York, and none of them are really Sharks fans, but when the Rangers are in town, they all make it a point to head down to HP Pavilion.

JustinGTP
06-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Go Flames! We just won Game 5 baby - that means that there is one more to go. Thats right, woo!

ale2999
06-04-2004, 08:14 AM
yes the cup is coming home. Calgarians cya on saturday on the red mile!

ctmagnus
06-08-2004, 04:30 AM
:mecry:

Jeff Rutledge
06-08-2004, 04:41 AM
:mecry:
I don't wanna talk about it... :cry:

Palmguy
06-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I know this is 10 days old, but hey, I've been gone for awhile.

That said, woohoo!!!! Go Lightning! Gotta love it when Florida beats Canada at hockey :)

Mike Temporale
06-17-2004, 10:39 PM
That said, woohoo!!!! Go Lightning! Gotta love it when Florida beats Canada at hockey :)

You do realize that there are 14 Canadian players on the Lightning, don't you? What's that, half the team?!

Palmguy
06-19-2004, 03:27 PM

You do realize that there are 14 Canadian players on the Lightning, don't you? What's that, half the team?!

Yeah, I know. There are probably more Canadians playing for TB than for Calgary...but still, a team from a state where 60 degrees is cold, and there is no natural ice; beating a team from Canada, where hockey is everything... :wink:

Mike Temporale
06-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I know. There are probably more Canadians playing for TB than for Calgary...

Yup, you're right. I think Calgary had/has 10 Canadians.