View Full Version : USB option for the sleeve?

AssetBurned
05-23-2004, 05:41 PM
hi

is it possible to put a PCMCIA USB card into a sleeve and connect a usb harddisk and usb cardreader to it?

if so what kind of usb cards could i use and where could i get them?

cu AssetBurned

OSUKid7
05-23-2004, 06:12 PM
I suppose, that is, if the USB card and USB device(s) have Win CE drivers.

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Your best bet, actually, would be to get a CF sleeve and a CF USB host card. We have mentioned two of them in the past. Here's one (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8625), and here's the other (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21945). To the best of my knowledge, both support Pocket PCs. I'm not sure which PC USB host cards, if any, support Pocket PC.

--janak

AssetBurned
05-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Both of them support PocketPC 2003.

but i was more thinking about PCMCIA cards. they sould be much cheaper than this two CF cards.

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 09:16 PM
but i was more thinking about PCMCIA cards. they sould be much cheaper than this two CF cards.
Possible, but again, find a PC card with Pocket PC support. ;) The few I looked at a long time ago didn't have it. Besides, the PC card sleeve costs more than a CF sleeve, so the cost difference balances out somewhat... and it's less bulky. (If you already own a PC sleeve, that may tip the factor somewhat, of course.)

--janak

AssetBurned
05-23-2004, 09:27 PM
it doesn´t cost more at ebay germany.
but my question has also another background. there are CF -> PCMCIA adapters out there (i have one of them). so that i could connect PCMCIA cards to a PDA that has only a CF-slot.

so i could test the harddisk and a cardreader with my casio and doesn´t have to buy a nother PDA. and so i could wait e.b. for the next ipaq generation. :-)

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 09:47 PM
it doesn´t cost more at ebay germany.
but my question has also another background. there are CF -> PCMCIA adapters out there (i have one of them). so that i could connect PCMCIA cards to a PDA that has only a CF-slot.
They work with some PC card peripherals. They're bulky and clumsy, however, and coupled with the fact that most USB PC cards don't have Pocket PC drivers... I'm not convinced it's worth it.

so i could test the harddisk and a cardreader with my casio and doesn´t have to buy a nother PDA. and so i could wait e.b. for the next ipaq generation. :-)
You're assuming the PC card would have a driver for Pocket PC 2000 MIPS, which it very well might not anymore.

--janak