View Full Version : Any good new pocketpcs planned soon?

chrisgeller
05-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi there

As a bit of a geek, I've been a little disappointed by how slowly
PocketPCs have been progressing.

In recent years, we really upped the stability, useability and
function. We got colour screens, and MP3 playing.

But recently the only development seems to be Bluetooth and Wifi, and
I couldn't care less about those. It seems the pace of development has
really slowed down.

I've got an Ipaq 1910 and can't really see anything coming along that
would be worth upgrading for. Can anyone tell me I'm wrong?

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 05:19 PM
What are you looking for?

The current trends are VGA screens, faster (~ 600MHz processors), integrated cameras, integrated thumbboards, and more interesting Phone Edition devices. A few sites have discovered HP's rumored upcoming lineup, Dell has just announced the Axim X30, and of course there's the Motorola MPx. Do a search and you'll find links on each of these. Personally, I think the future is quite exciting for Pocket PCs. 8)

--janak

chrisgeller
05-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks very much, that was very interesting to read! I still can't say
I'm all that excited though.......I see there's a new Dell out with a
624Mhz processor, but to be honest, my Ipaq 1910 does everything I
need at a fine speed.

I guess one of the features I'd really like to see improved would be
the memory, but even this top of the line Dell has 64MB, same as my
Ipaq (well, pretty much). Sigh.

Maybe I'll think of something else to waste money on. Suggestions?

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 11:17 PM
I guess one of the features I'd really like to see improved would be
the memory, but even this top of the line Dell has 64MB, same as my
Ipaq (well, pretty much). Sigh.
But how's that a revolutionary advance? There are already Pocket PCs with 128MB of RAM, and besides, there are always storage cards.

Get yourself a new memory card for your iPAQ? Get an iPod? There's always lots of new toys one can get... ;)

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
05-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Get yourself a new memory card for your iPAQ? Get an iPod? There's always lots of new toys one can get... ;)

Here's the thread about theTop 10 Gadgets list (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25298&) if you need any inspiration. :wink:

Welcome by the way, good to have you posting. 8)

ronaldo
05-24-2004, 03:45 PM
like chrisgeller i also agree that making processors for pocketpcs faster and faster doesn't really break the ice with the mainstream ppc users.

of course, video or image editing on a ppc which needs a powerful processor might be a nice add-on especially for people who are really spoilt with toys and need something else to show off.

i also believe that not just chrisgeller and me but also most of the rest of ppc users really need is much more memory - including a seriously improved memory management (as explained in more depth in the other thread "how to power off a pocket pc completely").

just additional memory cards as suggested won't really do the whole job.

rzanology
05-24-2004, 04:01 PM
how about putting a radeon in a ppc. Image an ipaq with a 32mb ppc radeon, 600 mhz chip, 256 onboard memory, Bluetooth, wifi, better ppc os...aaaaand a thingie (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20317&highlight=thingie). Hows that for something to waste your money on.