View Full Version : How to make a wireless ActiveSync?

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Hi, I know this subject was already discussed, but I want a simple way to make a Sync using my Linksys Wirelesss (Wi-Fi) Access Point Router (BEFW11S4) and my desktop pc using Windows XP Professional.

Oh, I have an iPAQ h4150.

So, how do I make the configurations on my desktop PC and on my iPAQ to make the AS possible?

Thanks, thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

OSUKid7
05-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Well, if it works, it really works. I have the same setup, only an iPaq H3870 and a second (WiFi-G) AP. If both your PPC and comp are on the same subnet, you should just be able to start ActiveSync on your iPaq, hit Sync, and have it work. Check Tools > Options if you want to customize anything.

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Do you have WM2003?

When I had my h5450 with PPC2002 I was able to do the AS without any problem. But with WM2003 I can't do it.

I read about a ¿VPN?, but: How to set it up?

ctmagnus
05-23-2004, 05:14 AM
I just turn on wifi, tap sync and it works. Are you near your desktop when you're having issues? Maybe there's something happening (firewall pop-up waiting for input, etc) on the desktop end.

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 05:18 AM
I just turn on wifi, tap sync and it works. Are you near your desktop when you're having issues? Maybe there's something happening (firewall pop-up waiting for input, etc) on the desktop end.

I don't have any firewall. --- Hackers step a side :)

ctmagnus
05-23-2004, 05:53 AM
I see.

Here's how I set up my Wifi ActiveSync:

1) make sure iPaq can access Internet through access point (ie, WEP keys, MAC address filtering, etc all set up and functioning) by going to any given site in Pocket Internet Explorer.

2) Turn on Wifi on iPaq.

3) Open AcvtiveSync on iPaq.

4) Tap on Sync button.

5) Make sure I'm in front of my desktop in order to intercept anything my software firewall throes at me.

6) Intercept everything my software firewall throws at me, telling the software to create a rule permitting all of the actions involved.

7) Sync again and smile broadly as it all happens so smoothly this time.

I also sync through a BEFW11S4 and the only two pages in the browser-based setup that I had to pay attention to were the first one (Setup) and the last one (Advanced then Wireless). If you're having a MAC filtering issue, the last page is where to go to correct it.

Kacey Green
05-23-2004, 06:19 AM
so for my dad's X3i he just has to be on the same subnet, and press sync to sync with the partnered device?, what if there are two partnered devices on the same subnet?

Edit: woohoo philisopher(sp)

Pony99CA
05-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Hi, I know this subject was already discussed, but I want a simple way to make a Sync using my Linksys Wirelesss (Wi-Fi) Access Point Router (BEFW11S4) and my desktop pc using Windows XP Professional.

Oh, I have an iPAQ h4150.

So, how do I make the configurations on my desktop PC and on my iPAQ to make the AS possible?
Make sure that you can ping your desktop PC by name. That's a big step.

If you still can't get it to work, read the "Setting Up a Wireless LAN, Part 2" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2785&highlight=activesync+wifi). I couldn't sync over WiFi, but finally figured it out thanks to that thread.

Steve

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Im new to wireless networking, and im trying to connect my 4150 via wifi to my laptop runing xp to sync them, and ive being trying for days and i cannot for the life of me do it,

at the moment im using pocket boingo, it finds the laptop but when i click connect it says connecting, renewing ip and then says cannot connect, ive tried loads of settings, is it possible some1 could help me plz.. it would be very must appreciated as im at the end of my tether. thanks..

Pony99CA
05-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Im new to wireless networking, and im trying to connect my 4150 via wifi to my laptop runing xp to sync them, and ive being trying for days and i cannot for the life of me do it
Did you read the thread that I linked to above?

at the moment im using pocket boingo, it finds the laptop but when i click connect it says connecting, renewing ip and then says cannot connect, ive tried loads of settings, is it possible some1 could help me plz..
From what I've seen, Pocket Boingo doesn't explicitly support the HP 4150. However, you really shouldn't need it; you should be able to use the iPAQ Wireless program and that will detect local access points.

Are you trying to connect in infrastructure mode (with a router) or ad hoc mode (directly to your PC)?

Steve

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Yes ive tried both ways , neither the ipaq or the laptop will connect to each other.

What do i type in file explorer, in network option to access my lap top,?

:-small hand holding , what looks like a battery..

if u can understand that...

OSUKid7
05-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Do you have WM2003?

When I had my h5450 with PPC2002 I was able to do the AS without any problem. But with WM2003 I can't do it.

I read about a ¿VPN?, but: How to set it up?
I upgraded my 3870 to WM2003. Actually, I had more problems with PPC2002 than now with 2003. A VPN is used if you want to sync outside of your network. Not really needed for the average user.

so for my dad's X3i he just has to be on the same subnet, and press sync to sync with the partnered device?, what if there are two partnered devices on the same subnet?
I haven't tried, but AFAIK since you select what PC to sync with wirelessly on your Pocket PC, it should work fine. Would be good to know for sure though.

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Is it possible some1 could give me step by step instructions on how to connect both ipaq and laptop wirelessly.. that would be very much appreciated.. thanks.

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 01:03 PM
OK, ive finally got them connected but how do i set them up so i can activesync and drag and drop files, it says exellent connection but it refuses to connect via activesync..

do i have to set up a network or somthing?

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 01:25 PM
YEA BABY ! ive done it, the thing i was doing wrong is , on active sync not putting the correct name to connect to, thanks for everybodys help..

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 01:29 PM
OK, ive finally got them connected but how do i set them up so i can activesync and drag and drop files, it says exellent connection but it refuses to connect via activesync..

do i have to set up a network or somthing?

My problem is the same, I'm able to transfer files, connect to the Internet, view videos, play MP3... but I cannot ActiveSync.

Any trics?

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 01:32 PM
YEA BABY ! ive done it, the thing i was doing wrong is , on active sync not putting the correct name to connect to, thanks for everybodys help..

Where did you put the "name" to connect to?

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 01:55 PM
When u put activesync on on your ipaq go into, tools, options, server, then server name..

Got another problem now, how do u connect to the internet through active sync wirelessly, is it possible??

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Got another problem now, how do u connect to the internet through active sync wirelessly, is it possible??

What?

BTW, I coudn't make it work, I place the name of my computer at "Server", but didn't work :(

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 02:14 PM
If you go into settings, connections, connections, advanced, networkcard and it should bring up the name of your comp..

What i was saying before is that it does sync with my laptop, but thats all, u cant go onto the internet through your ipaq, dont no why its synced?

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 02:19 PM
You are a genius. I'm able to AS my iPAQ (the ActiveSync on my desktop pc was wrong).

Yes, i can go onto the internet.
But that's easy for me because i use my Access Point Router to connect.
I mean, I don't need to configure nothing in my computer to connect to internet.

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 02:23 PM
So the internet to your ipaq runs through your router not your pc/laptop?

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 02:24 PM
If you go into settings, connections, connections, advanced, networkcard and it should bring up the name of your comp..

What i was saying before is that it does sync with my laptop, but thats all, u cant go onto the internet through your ipaq, dont no why its synced?

I think you should check something about Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Or in your notebook Wi-Fi card, something about sharing the resources that you have in your notebook with the "Wireless client"... or something like that.
Just a thought.

pepemosca
05-23-2004, 02:24 PM
So the internet to your ipaq runs through your router not your pc/laptop?

Thats right.

OSUKid7
05-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Do you mean setup an ad-hoc WiFi network? Eh...enable ICS on your PC.

BTW, I coudn't make it work, I place the name of my computer at "Server", but didn't work :(
No, you're NOT trying to sync with a (Windows Mobile) Server. I already told you...go into ActiveSync on your PPC, Tools > Options, and on the PC tab, select your PC under "When syncing remotely with a PC, Use this PC:" and it should work. You can also setup other options. Just play around with it. Once it works, there's a lot you can customize.

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 05:49 PM
ICS ?

The main problem is that i have a new laptop, with prism wifi card built in, ive bought a netgear router, and want to go anywere in the house and use my laptop, as with the ipaq, but it wont connect to the router, its says its connected but no signal strenth, like i said above ive been trying for days and its really starting to p**s me off, i dont understand it..

Ive set up the wep on both laptop and router and nout..

could some1 plz help im desperate.. THANKYOU!

OSUKid7
05-23-2004, 06:09 PM
ICS ?

The main problem is that i have a new laptop, with prism wifi card built in, ive bought a netgear router, and want to go anywere in the house and use my laptop, as with the ipaq, but it wont connect to the router, its says its connected but no signal strenth, like i said above ive been trying for days and its really starting to p**s me off, i dont understand it..

Ive set up the wep on both laptop and router and nout..

could some1 plz help im desperate.. THANKYOU!
ICS...wow, Internet Connection Sharing. It's been in Windows since 98SE.

But since you have a router, there's no need for ICS. Routers are incredibly easy to share Internet connections. So you setup WEP...type the code that you used into the appropriate places on all wireless devices that you want to use on your network. If you don't, of course it will tell you it found the WiFi network, but you won't be able to do anything.

Just think for a second - if you don't understand something, READ. I know most techies wouldn't admit it, but we've all read the manual/setup instructions at some point. Heck, I usually end up just browsing the web or :google: ing for the answer if I can't get something to work.

Wildchild121007
05-23-2004, 06:13 PM
yes ive read everything, but still nothing..

Ok, ive hooked up my modem to my router, setup my router in windows, yes ive got a connection, but as soon as i take out the line it goes it wont connect to the router once the line has been taken out..

is there any step by step pages for setting 1 up in xp, like i said ive tried everything, maybe my laptops knackered..

OSUKid7
05-23-2004, 06:22 PM
yes ive read everything, but still nothing..

Ok, ive hooked up my modem to my router, setup my router in windows,
Hooked up your modem to your router?? :!: Please tell me you're joking. :wink:

yes ive got a connection, but as soon as i take out the line it goes it wont connect to the router once the line has been taken out..

OK, so I'm going to assume you hooked up your computer via ethernet to your router. Correct? Then set it up via the web based config. And when you take what out, what won't connect to the router? Are you doing this wired or wireless? I can barely understand what problem(s) you are having.

is there any step by step pages for setting 1 up in xp, like i said ive tried everything, maybe my laptops knackered..
Eh...that should be included in the box for the router. If not, visit the manufactuer's website.

BTW, what is the exact router model that you have? I can give you a direct link if you don't want to search through the site.

Kacey Green
05-24-2004, 02:00 AM
:google: ing for the answer if I can't get something to work.
I don't remember where but Google asked the world not to use their name as an adjetive, sot they didn't loose their copyright, because if it is just an ordinary word in the english language they don't own it anymore or something like that. :?

Not getting on to you but just trying to elicit some thoughts , if the mods need to move/split this they can so long as they remove the mod section from my words.

Pony99CA
05-24-2004, 02:24 AM
I don't remember where but Google asked the world not to use their name as an adjetive, sot they didn't loose their copyright, because if it is just an ordinary word in the english language they don't own it anymore or something like that. :?
First, OSUKid7 used Google as a verb, not an adjective.

Second, Google would lose their trademark, not their copyright. In fact, I don't believe that you can copyright a single word. Imagine any use of the word Google getting people sued for copyright violation.

If you have to play Google IP lawyer, at least get the facts straight.

Steve

Kacey Green
05-24-2004, 03:00 AM
First, OSUKid7 used Google as a verb, not an adjective.

Second, Google would lose their trademark, not their copyright. In fact, I don't believe that you can copyright a single word. Imagine any use of the word Google getting people sued for copyright violation.

If you have to play Google IP lawyer, at least get the facts straight.

Steve
I wasn't playing IP lawyer and, you're right, about the verb thing, I think it still applies though. When did they ever try to sue their enthusiastic users?

OSUKid7
05-24-2004, 03:05 AM

Not getting on to you but just trying to elicit some thoughts , if the mods need to move/split this they can so long as they remove the mod section from my words.
Isn't "googling" a verb? e.g. to google? anyway...yeah, it's not propper english, but it's not gonna stop people from calling it xeroxing, etc.

Kacey Green
05-24-2004, 03:12 AM
I think thats what they were afraid of,
xerox= to copy anything in any copy machine
xerox= electronics co.
xerox= xerography

so you don't need a xerox to xerox, so if this gets out of hand you might use microsoft search to "google" or in their eyes god forbid yahoo to google

Pony99CA
05-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Isn't "googling" a verb? e.g. to google?
Yes, which I had already pointed out.

anyway...yeah, it's not propper english, but it's not gonna stop people from calling it xeroxing, etc.
No, but Kacey had a valid point. Google probably doesn't want the term Google to become common usage because they would lose their trademark status. That happened to things like Zipper and Aspirin, if I recall correctly. I believe the legal term is "trademark dilution" (http://www.ladas.com/BULLETINS/1996/FederalDilution.html); once that happens, anybody could use Google in the name of their search engine.

Anyway, this doesn't really have anything to do with the thread's topic, so can we let it drop? The point has been made, but I think we'll still probably use :google: as a verb if we want. :-D

Steve

Wildchild121007
05-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Ok, its now connecting to my laptop, (after ive updated the firmware) but still cant connet to the internet, think im going to give up and take it back..

Kacey Green
05-24-2004, 08:11 PM
This does require a prior partnership? no? just for clarification, no one here said it, (well me but that may be an extra step) can you create the partnership over wifi?

Steven Cedrone
05-24-2004, 08:38 PM
can you create the partnership over wifi?

No! You have to physically connect the Pocket PC to the computer to establish a partnership...

Steve

mattp
05-24-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm glad to see this topic revived a bit. I tried once before to set up a vpn, thinking that was necessary to Activesync. That was unsuccessful and I realize from this thread that I don't have to.

I still just can't quite seem to get it though.

I have a netgear router and my ppc had no problem detecting and connecting to the router -- web browsing and e-mail work perfectly.

Also, when I go into the Activsync options on the PPC, my computer name is already entered, as suggested earlier. When I try to connect, however, the ppc activesync tells me that I need to name the server and credentials (the tab after you identify the computer name).

So . . .

What do I use for a server name?

Are my credentials that same user and password I use to log onto XP? When I enter my password in the ppc, save it, then re-open it, the password gets butchered (should be eight or nine asterisks to be correct, when I reopen it is more like twenty or so.)

I'd love to get this thing working once and for all.

Kacey Green
05-25-2004, 01:26 AM
No! You have to physically connect the Pocket PC to the computer to establish a partnership...

Steve
I guess this makes sense espically with MS trusted computing platform on the horizon? if you have to encrypt keyboard traffic, you would want to perform a physical handshake and certificate transfer before you let the device connect to all that sensitive info. Or did they just mess up and all of this wifi syncing stuff will be easier with longhorn (hopfully XP SP2)

ctmagnus
05-25-2004, 01:57 AM

Steve
I guess this makes sense espically with MS trusted computing platform on the horizon?

Actually, it's so the Pocket PC knows that a PC to sync with even exists.

Pony99CA
05-25-2004, 02:05 AM

I guess this makes sense espically with MS trusted computing platform on the horizon?
Actually, it's so the Pocket PC knows that a PC to sync with even exists.
I don't think so. The Pocket PC could easily scan a network for PCs and allow the user to choose one to sync with (at least logically; whether it actually does, I can't say :-)).

I've heard that requiring a physical partnership was to prevent any old bozo from syncing with your personal data wirelessly. If you require a physical partnership first, you can be pretty well assured that the person should have access to the data.

Steve