View Full Version : Ipod or Ipaq?

jbachandouris
05-20-2004, 11:11 PM
I am interested in an MP3 player, and no, just like my Ipaq, I don't 'need' one. There are many players out there would any of you recommend an SD card for my Ipaq 4155 or a standalone player?

Stand alones: Ipod, Iriver, and Dell's player?

Whatever happened to HP making an Ipod? I read the article, but I haven't seen any?

OSUKid7
05-20-2004, 11:25 PM
So what's your question?? The subject's a little confusing.

jbachandouris
05-20-2004, 11:32 PM
The question is stand alone MP# player of Ipaq with SD card.

If stand alone, then which one?

upplepop
05-21-2004, 12:33 AM
I recommend using your PDA as your mp3 player... it's fewer devices that you have to maintain and carry around. I'm all about minimalism!
However, there are many reasons you would want to get a dedicated mp3 player; the two biggest ones are that (1) it is (probably) smaller, and (2) the ones you list have more memory than any current SD card. It's really up to you and your listening habits.

As for a recommendation to a mp3 player, try looking into the Archos (http://www.archos.com) line of mp3 players. I find them to be much more of a value than the iPod.

Don't Panic!
05-21-2004, 02:57 AM
iPOD or Windows based MP3 player for quantity, iPAQ and memory card for quality and functions.

HTH

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Gremmie
05-21-2004, 04:41 AM
iPOD or Windows based MP3 player for quantity, iPAQ and memory card for quality and functions.

Why only quality on the iPAQ? The iPOD has plenty of room for large quality. Don't forget, beyond 128kbps, increasing the quality doesn't matter as much.

I'd say iPOD. Trying to control your music through software can be annoying. Transferring music is quicker with the iPOD unless you want to buy a card reader. iPAQ can do more, but would you use it?

A PDA isn't minimalistic if you're only going to listen to music--just more confusing.

Janak Parekh
05-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Why only quality on the iPAQ? The iPOD has plenty of room for large quality. Don't forget, beyond 128kbps, increasing the quality doesn't matter as much.
I've used both, and I think the iPAQ's audio circuitry is slightly better. Plus you can have a custom EQ.

I'd say iPOD. Trying to control your music through software can be annoying. Transferring music is quicker with the iPOD unless you want to buy a card reader. iPAQ can do more, but would you use it?
That's the key question. I personally carry both, because the capacity of an iPod is critical for me.

--janak

Zack Mahdavi
05-21-2004, 05:04 AM
I carry both as well. I like my iPaq for music because you can sit somewhere in campus and tune in to your favorite internet radio station with WiFi. I use the iPod, however, for all other times. It has a much longer battery life, and it's much easier to transfer music to an iPod then it is for an iPaq.

So my opinion is... if you want to get an iPaq mainly for music and nothing else, then go for the iPod instead. You'll definitely use it more...

SHC
05-21-2004, 09:03 AM
I use my 2210 with large CF cards, I did have a ZEN jukebox but the iPAQ sound was better. If you can only use SD cards then I'd go for an iRIVER, better build, better sound and better battery life than an iPOD and usually cheaper too.
There is also the debate about WMA files being of better quality than MP3 files, and the iPOD cant use WMA.

jbachandouris
05-21-2004, 11:21 AM
I already own an Ipaq 4455. So the reason I asked the questions was to decide on if it would be worth it to buy a memory card for MP3 purposes. Perhaps a better question would have been memory card or MP3 player?

But, from what has been posted so far the Ipod is the recommended MP3 player? I realize the Nomad series are cheaper, but they're huge.

SHC
05-21-2004, 01:45 PM
I would look at iRiver before buying an iPOD

Zack Mahdavi
05-21-2004, 04:31 PM
But, from what has been posted so far the Ipod is the recommended MP3 player? I realize the Nomad series are cheaper, but they're huge.

I'd have to say so definitely. The iPod is by far the best digital music player out there, in my opinion. It makes it extremely easy to browse through a large music catalog.

nosmohtac
05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
If you had a dual slot iPAQ, or a Sleeveable iPAQ, I would recommend the PC card expansion pack and a portable hard drive. The PC card sleeve, and HD would still be cheaper than an iPOD. Although, you would still have something more to carry, and battery life wouldn't be as good.

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 02:49 PM
if you had CF you could consider buying a microdrive but in this case a standalone mp3 player with enough storage can be a good solution.

Veggie_Musician
05-24-2004, 09:47 AM
If you already own a 4155 Id just get a large SD card and not bother with an iPOD. The sound quality is better on the ipaq anyway! why waste ur money when you have a divice that can do mp3's well.

ChristopherTD
05-24-2004, 10:30 AM
If you already own a 4155 Id just get a large SD card and not bother with an iPOD. The sound quality is better on the ipaq anyway! why waste ur money when you have a divice that can do mp3's well.

The iPod can play MP3 files as well. Either iPod or iRiver are possibly more suitable solutions for people with large collections who want access to all of their collection at one time. Shuffling songs on and off SD cards depending on mood/location/situation is (for me) very tedious.

Trimac20
05-25-2004, 04:22 AM
Forget about the ipod, as I've already mentioned the iriver has far more features for a comparable (actually lower) price. Yet it does not compromise on quality, with excellent build-quality. Also, the iriver sounds much better than the ipod with far more eq options.

Zack Mahdavi
05-25-2004, 05:47 AM
Forget about the ipod, as I've already mentioned the iriver has far more features for a comparable (actually lower) price. Yet it does not compromise on quality, with excellent build-quality. Also, the iriver sounds much better than the ipod with far more eq options.

I thought we already discussed this in another topic. The iPod has incredible sound quality.. in fact, that's one of the reasons why it became so popular. Some music DJs around the world have switched to using iPods during their performances.

Both have their pros and cons, so it's up to you to figure out which you'll like better.

jbachandouris
05-27-2004, 12:59 AM
lower price? where? I've found the Iriver to be more expensive not less,

Buy a big SD card? $512MB for $109? How many songs can you really store on 512 MB?

ctmagnus
05-27-2004, 03:15 AM
How many songs can you really store on 512 MB?

Depending on bitrate, quality, format..., I'd guess possibly 100-150. Some could get more on, some would need fewer to stay at their preferred quality level in that space.

GoldKey
05-27-2004, 01:25 PM
lower price? where? I've found the Iriver to be more expensive not less,

Amazon

20 GB
ipod - 379.99
iriver - 336.04

40 GB
ipod - 463.14
iriver - 446.14

Plus the iriver has some features (if they are important to you) that cost extra to buy for the ipod (fm tuner, remote, voice recorder?) making the cost difference more.