View Full Version : where do I go to make sure all my software is upto date?

bradgigalo
05-20-2004, 01:44 PM
also what is tthe best web browser out there?

Pony99CA
05-20-2004, 02:44 PM
The best browser for the Pocket PC or the PC? Assuming you mean the Pocket PC (after all, this is Pocket PC Thoughts :-)), I use Pocket Internet Explorer with MultiIE 3.0 (http://www.southwaycorp.net). I can't say that it's the "the best", but it works well for me.

Steve

P.S. It's not a good idea to put questions in the Subject that aren't in the body of the post. Many people don't see the whole Subject. See Pony's Posting Proverbs (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11413) for more suggestions.

Darius Wey
05-20-2004, 02:58 PM

You can try NetFront...I use that and it works well.

And in reference to your question about making sure you have all of your software updated, I suppose you could check the website of every software that you have installed...otherwise, Handango is pretty quick to update recent releases.

iant54
05-20-2004, 03:30 PM
...otherwise, Handango is pretty quick to update recent releases.

However, be aware that some software producers keep their offerings in the public eye by continually re-submitting them as updates, although nothing has been changed. To avoid being duped, ensure that you know the version number of each program!

Ripper014
05-20-2004, 04:08 PM
There is ThunderHawk or NetFront which are commercial applications... ThunderHawk you will also need to pay for a yearly subscripition...

Something that is free would be ftxPBrowser which is an add-on to your PocketIE... and does a relatively good job...

As mentioned many people like Multi IE...

buzzard
05-20-2004, 05:07 PM
I currently use ftxPBrowser and don't see much difference between it and Netfront or Multi-IE other than the obvious, it's free. Can someone tell me why the other two are thought to be better ?

bradgigalo
05-20-2004, 05:47 PM
so there isnt like a windows update for the pocket pc?

Janak Parekh
05-20-2004, 08:22 PM
No. Unlike PCs, the operating system is installed in ROM, and is heavily customized by the Pocket PC manufacturer. Updates are released through them.

--janak

socrates63
05-20-2004, 09:42 PM
That's right; there's isn't. Since it is the manufacturer's responsibility to release updates for the PPC, you will need check with your PPC's manufacturer for availability of updates. Or, you can do what I do, and just check places like PPCT on a regular basis, and when new updates are released, you will hear about them. It's much more entertaining than scanning HP's web site for updates on my 2215.

But even if you do find updates for your PPC, you should check the forums at PPCT or other places to gauge feedback on the updates. Blindly updating to the latest patch may not be the best thing to do.

In other words, for the PPC, you need to be educated and diligent if you're interested in keeping up to date on OS service releases.

Pony99CA
05-20-2004, 09:47 PM
No. Unlike PCs, the operating system is installed in ROM, and is heavily customized by the Pocket PC manufacturer. Updates are released through them.
That's true, and there's another issue -- most Pocket PCs aren't connected to the Internet all (most?) of the time.

However, Microsoft and the OEMs could do something similar. Microsoft could put in an Update program, and the OEMs could customize it to check their Web site's list of updates.

In fact, my iPAQ 3870 and 5550 have a hidden settings applet called Updates. I have enabled it in the registry, and it shows up in the Connections settings. When I tap it, it shows a list saying "For more information, tap an update", but nothing is ever in the list. (Perhaps it's for Pocket PC Phone Edition devices?)

Steve

ctmagnus
05-23-2004, 05:39 AM
In fact, my iPAQ 3870 and 5550 have a hidden settings applet called Updates. I have enabled it in the registry, and it shows up in the Connections settings.

You're obviously braver than me, so is this enabled by deleting the Redirect value under HKLM\ControlPanel\Updates?

And what does doing the same thing under HKLM\ControlPanel\AdminPassword do?

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 05:42 AM
However, Microsoft and the OEMs could do something similar.
Well, the EUUs were an attempt to do just that. Microsoft appears to have abandoned that strategy for WM2003, though.

(Perhaps it's for Pocket PC Phone Edition devices?)
I don't think so -- have never seen it in the two PPCPEs I've used.

--janak

Pony99CA
05-23-2004, 06:35 AM
In fact, my iPAQ 3870 and 5550 have a hidden settings applet called Updates. I have enabled it in the registry, and it shows up in the Connections settings.
You're obviously braver than me, so is this enabled by deleting the Redirect value under HKLM\ControlPanel\Updates?

That will work, but it's better to just change the name of Redirect to RedirectX or something. It makes it easier to restore the original settings if you don't like the change.

And what does doing the same thing under HKLM\ControlPanel\AdminPassword do?
That enables the Policy settings applet (also called the Administrative Password). The Policy applet allows you to prevent people from installing things on the Pocket PC. If you look in \Windows\ctpnl.htm (at least in Windows Mobile 2003), there's even help about it; check the end of the file.

Steve

Pony99CA
05-23-2004, 07:27 AM
However, Microsoft and the OEMs could do something similar.
Well, the EUUs were an attempt to do just that. Microsoft appears to have abandoned that strategy for WM2003, though.
EUUs still required the user to search for them. It would be nice if the Pocket PC would check whenever you connected to the Internet.

(Perhaps it's for Pocket PC Phone Edition devices?)
I don't think so -- have never seen it in the two PPCPEs I've used.
Have you tried activating the Updates applet on a Phone Edition device?

On my iPAQ 3870, I noticed a lot of phone-related registry entries (things like SMS settings), so I probably assumed it had something to do with that. My iPAQ 3650 doesn't have the Updates registry key, and that probably came out before Phone Edition devices were planned.

Another thing that I thought of was that Updates could be some sort of XIP manager. Of course, I'm just guessing. :-)

Steve

Stephen Beesley
05-25-2004, 08:51 AM
That's true, and there's another issue -- most Pocket PCs aren't connected to the Internet all (most?) of the time.

However, Microsoft and the OEMs could do something similar. Microsoft could put in an Update program, and the OEMs could customize it to check their Web site's list of updates.

In fact, my iPAQ 3870 and 5550 have a hidden settings applet called Updates. I have enabled it in the registry, and it shows up in the Connections settings. When I tap it, it shows a list saying "For more information, tap an update", but nothing is ever in the list. (Perhaps it's for Pocket PC Phone Edition devices?)

Steve

The Newtons, as far back as the mid 90s, had a system just like that for system updates built into them. The idea was that updates to the system software could be done by connecting your modem and dialing an 800 number - the update package would download automatically.

As far as I know, however, Apple never really used the system certainly not outside the US and, I think, only in the earliest days of the Newton. Still it certanly shows that it could be done.

Kacey Green
05-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Shoot, they could build it into activsync and Windows update, it would keep track of what devices your activesync install has and their last recorded stats, and then offer you the update if it finds one, they used to do this for some of their larger OEMs PCs (chough compaq cough)
Then on next connection AS tells you you downloaded an update, reminds you to backup, and since it is XIP it doesn't erase your data, but it would still have to ask if you had time for the update, and tell you to put the deevice in the cradle.