View Full Version : Getting "Mobile Device" on desktop like "My Computer"

insaneperson
05-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know a way to display the Mobile Device icon on your desktop like that of the My Computer icon? It would be nice to drag files to it and have easy access to it.

word.

Brad Adrian
05-19-2004, 11:09 PM
On your PC, open Windows Explorer so you can see the "Mobile Device" entry in the file tree. Make sure that window isn't maximized, so you can see a bit of your desktop underneath. Then, while holding down the CTL key, drag the "Mobile Device" icon to your desktop.

OSUKid7
05-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Or even easier, open My Computer, right-click and drag the Mobile Device icon to your desktop. Then click Create Shortcuts here.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/assets/common/FileObject/png.gif mobiledevice.PNG (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/12845/mobiledevice.PNG) (Size: 150.1 KB)
(had to try out the new media folder) ;)

insaneperson
05-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Both of these methods did in fact create a shortcut to Mobile Device for me. Unfortunately Microshoft has not made the shortcut functional. That is, when I drag files to the icon no file copy occurs.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Do you sync files? That puts a Mobile Device My Documents folder on your desktop onto which you can drop files. If you notice, when you double click the Mobile Device in desktop explorer, you get the My Documents folder on the PPC, so that is essentially the same place you would be dropping the files.

If you don't like the Sync Folder Icon, you could replace that with a mobile device icon and have basically a suitable substitiute for what you wanted.

Steven Cedrone
05-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Instead, make a short cut to your "device My Documents" folder in "My Documents" on the desktop and try dragging to there instead...

Damn, that's what happens when you walk away from your machine in the middle of a reply. Do what Sven said! :wink:

Steve