View Full Version : Download Yahoo to Outlook for free

goirish!!
05-19-2004, 02:15 PM
About a year ago Yahoo started charging ($20?) for accounts that download to Outlook.

Just ran across this program while watching TechTV.:
http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/index.php

I installed it and set it up in about three min. It works perfectly. Now I can download my Yahoo through Outlook and sync to my 1910 for reading later.

:way to go:

drop
05-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Sounds great. I would definitely give it a try this evening.

Thanks a bunch, goirish!!.

goirish!!
05-19-2004, 04:06 PM
BTW - Their site appears to be hammered so take heart, opening the site and downloading may take a min to complete but it's worth it!!

jali-p5
05-19-2004, 10:02 PM
hmmmm......looks promising........

This application emulates a POP3 server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc., to download email from Yahoo! accounts. We do not go against the license agreements of Yahoo! Mail. This application is completely legitimate and well within the realms of legal software.

How do we do it you ask? Well, this application is more like a gateway. It provides a POP3 server interface at o*ne end to talk to email clients and an HTTP client (browser) interface at the other which allows it to talk to Yahoo!

anyone know anything about the security of doing this.......not saying that yahoo is super secure itself, but if this little plugin for outlook makes use of a gateway to download the email, could it not also copy your emails if they wanted to? or am i totally out there?? 0X

goirish!!
05-19-2004, 10:34 PM
hmmmm......looks promising........

This application emulates a POP3 server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc., to download email from Yahoo! accounts. We do not go against the license agreements of Yahoo! Mail. This application is completely legitimate and well within the realms of legal software.

How do we do it you ask? Well, this application is more like a gateway. It provides a POP3 server interface at o*ne end to talk to email clients and an HTTP client (browser) interface at the other which allows it to talk to Yahoo!

anyone know anything about the security of doing this.......not saying that yahoo is super secure itself, but if this little plugin for outlook makes use of a gateway to download the email, could it not also copy your emails if they wanted to? or am i totally out there?? 0X

Excellent question. I'm not too experienced in this type of thing so I too would be interested to know the answer to this.

Generally anything that TechTV spotlights is pretty secure. They usually inspect programs before promoting them.

Jon Westfall
05-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Sounds like a winner. Do they have any programs (or does anyone know of any) that can download hotmail in this manner?

Veggie_Musician
05-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Outlook still works with yahoo mail with me (free) - here are the pop3 settings I use

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk

smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

Just add your username and password :)

goirish!!
05-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Outlook still works with yahoo mail with me (free) - here are the pop3 settings I use

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk

smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

Just add your username and password :)

Odd, I can not get this to work. Set up a new email account using the pop. and smtp. settings you list but will not connect.

The UK setting you are using, are you actually in the UK or is this just the setting you use? I remember just after Yahoo! went to the pay service people were saying that as long as you connect through a Yahoo! Japan, you would still be able to down load your email. I don't know how long that lasted though.

Stephen Beesley
05-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Just tried this with a Yahoo Australia account using

pop.mail.yahoo.com.au
smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au

and it worked perfectly. I also tried using the Australian server addressess for a standard yahoo account but no joy... :cry:

jali-p5
05-20-2004, 02:55 PM
i think the problem with the yahoo mail thing has to do with anyone that uses a yahoo.com account because i've heard that people w/ yahoo.ca, yahoo.co.uk, etc seem to still have pop access, but anyone w/ the yahoo.com ones don't........which totally sucks!

i was reading some of the issues that they are having with this program and it seems to have a few bugs that still needs working out, a new version 0.6 is in the works and should be out shortly that incorporates a lot of the patches you need to get version 0.5 to work properly w/ some OSs........

goirish!!
05-21-2004, 02:55 AM
i was reading some of the issues that they are having with this program and it seems to have a few bugs that still needs working out, a new version 0.6 is in the works and should be out shortly that incorporates a lot of the patches you need to get version 0.5 to work properly w/ some OSs........

So far the only issue I seem to have is that although I have the program set to leave my messages as "Unread" on the Yahoo! server they are showing as read mail. Not a big deal unless I want to down load the message to both my desktop and later on my laptop.

Also, some people have said that they can not send mail from Outlook through Yahoo! I personally do not see this as an issue yet since I am only using it to read mail mostly. If I need to reply I don't mind it coming from my Outlook account.

The program has a lot of benefits. Hopefully they are close to getting the bugs out.