View Full Version : WM2003SE upgrade for ipaq 2210

vting
05-18-2004, 04:29 AM
Does anyone know if there is going to be upgrade for ipaq 2210 to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition? :?:

ctmagnus
05-18-2004, 06:10 AM
I believe so.

Pony99CA
05-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Does anyone know if there is going to be upgrade for ipaq 2210 to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition? :?:
I don't think anybody outside of HP actually knows the official answer. The rumor is that all Pocket PCs that originally came with Windows Mobile 2003 except the 1900s with have an upgrade. Expect to pay about $30 unless you got your iPAQ 2210 a month or less before Windows Mobile 2003 SE was announced.

Again, this is just speculation; reality may vary.

Steve

Kowalski
05-18-2004, 09:58 AM
why do we have to pay for an update! this bugs me alot
i hope some people put the upgrade on warez pages for free

Pony99CA
05-18-2004, 10:24 AM
why do we have to pay for an update! this bugs me alot
i hope some people put the upgrade on warez pages for free
Why do you have to pay for anything? Because people had to do work to create it. I think HP's free upgrade period is much too short, but that's just my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't encourage stealing somebody's work. Warez are for loserz. :lol:

Steve

Kacey Green
05-18-2004, 11:00 AM
In the past did registered, refurbished units in the upgrade period get a free upgrade too? or did they have to pay?

Pony99CA
05-18-2004, 12:23 PM
In the past did registered, refurbished units in the upgrade period get a free upgrade too? or did they have to pay?
I have no idea what HP's policy is regarding refurbished units. I assume that HP would treat them as any other Pocket PC, so your date of purchase would be all that is significant.

It would be nice if HP would issue some kind of statement about Windows Mobile 2003 SE upgrades so we wouldn't have to speculate.

Steve

Kacey Green
05-19-2004, 04:08 AM
Do you remember what Compaq did when 2002 came out? or HP when WM2003 did?

jblodgett
05-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Why would HP do this???

Giving 2003 SE to current model owners will be direct competition for the new handheld which HP will no doubt be debuting in the next few months. i.e. why would an Ipaq 4155 owner want to buy one of the new machines when it essentially has the same technology, the same OS, and costs $500+??

HP would much rather sell a $500+ handheld than give current owners a $30 upgrade.

Pony99CA
05-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Do you remember what Compaq did when 2002 came out? or HP when WM2003 did?
Yes, and I've discussed it in other threads recently. Compaq only gave a free upgrade to people who bought a Pocket the day Pocket PC 2002 was announced or later. That got me mad, because I had bought an iPAQ 3650 fewer than three months before that..

HP gave a free upgrade to people who bought a month before Windows Mobile 2003 was announced or later.

However, I don't know whether those policies applied to refurbished iPAQs.

Steve

Pony99CA
05-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Why would HP do this???

Giving 2003 SE to current model owners will be direct competition for the new handheld which HP will no doubt be debuting in the next few months. i.e. why would an Ipaq 4155 owner want to buy one of the new machines when it essentially has the same technology, the same OS, and costs $500+??

HP would much rather sell a $500+ handheld than give current owners a $30 upgrade.
They offer upgrades to avoid angering their customer base. Look how people responded to Toshiba abandoning their Pocket PCs to see how angry people can get.

HP also realizes that not everybody can afford a new Pocket PC. Also, if sleeves are finally dead, they realize that people who need sleeves aren't going to upgrade. Offering an upgrade allows HP to get some money that they might not have gotten otherwise.

Yes, HP would like you to buy a new device, but they can convince people to do that by making a compelling device. They also tend not to release the upgrade for older Pocket PCs until the newer devices have been out for a while.

Steve

CapRiker
05-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Why would HP do this???

I think HP realizes that many people will not simply plunk down $500 for a new OS. Most of the new IPAQs have other features to encourage upgrades that an older model will never have, even with WM2003SE like VGA, dual slots with WiFi etc.

HOwever, none of these will encourage me to abandon a 4155 I purchased last December.

Kowalski
05-20-2004, 08:32 AM
i bought my device this autumn, the new upgrade comes and i have to pay.
i use an HP, yes i like my device alot but i dont like the company!
since they have a big value of brand they have a very bad attitude and they dont care about costumers like dell and asus
this is the reason why i hate nokias too

Pony99CA
05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
i bought my device this autumn, the new upgrade comes and i have to pay.
So you've had your iPAQ for about 8-11 months, and you don't want to pay for the upgrade?

While I think a year of free upgrades would be nice, I think 3-6 months is more reasonable. How long do you think you should get free upgrades?

i use an HP, yes i like my device alot but i dont like the company!
since they have a big value of brand they have a very bad attitude and they dont care about costumers like dell and asus

I've heard some really good things about HP's support, hardly something you'd hear if they didn't care about customers. I've also heard some bad things about Dell, so it's not like they're perfect.

Let's be honest -- most companies wouldn't give any customer support if it didn't earn them money in the long run. Most companies are in business to make money, and they do whatever they can to maximize their profit. While I don't necessarily agree with that attitude, that's capitalism, and I only complain if something seems excessively greedy or short-sighted.

Steve

Kowalski
05-20-2004, 11:11 AM
in the guarantie period you can update your firmware for free in the case of cellular phones.
this is the responsibility of the company because firmware update means bugfixes and corrections which the company has to do. a reasonable period must be more than 1 years.
and for the hp company, i have some complaints. they can do better products but they dont!
for example why didnt they put jog dial to 2210? is it so much diffucult?
and why they dont use CF in any model other than 2215?
the 1945 is off for less than 1 year but there wont be an upgrade
damn! i dont like HP policy

Pony99CA
05-20-2004, 11:35 AM
in the guarantie period you can update your firmware for free in the case of cellular phones.
this is the responsibility of the company because firmware update means bugfixes and corrections which the company has to do. a reasonable period must be more than 1 years.
You need to learn the difference between an upgrade and an update. An update fixes or improves an existing system; an upgrade gives you a new system.

HP does provide numerous updates for its Pocket PCs -- for free -- for a year or more. Your iPAQ will still be running the same OS, though.

HP may or may not provide upgrades to new versions of the operating system. When they do, they reasonably expect some money for the R&D work they did.

Steve

Kacey Green
05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
yeah, the upgrades only run $30, Thanks MS, if you have to pay at all, there is no good reason to get a free upgrade past a certian point, definitely not a whole year.

mrkablooey
05-21-2004, 11:09 AM

Firmware updates are available on HP's website for free, regardless of when you bought the iPaq.

Kacey Green
05-21-2004, 01:59 PM
right, but UPGRADES are bought on a CD after the cutoff period for a free ROM, if the OEM even offers it at all.

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 02:54 PM
i surrender. you are right and i am wrong
there is a big difference between and update and upgrade.
i am an engineer too, so i dont think of stealing anybodys work...

Pony99CA
05-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Really? So why did you hope that somebody would post the upgrade to a warez site? Just because you hate HP?

Steve

mrkablooey
05-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Really? So why did you hope that somebody would post the upgrade to a warez site?

:deal:

Kowalski
05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Really? So why did you hope that somebody would post the upgrade to a warez site? Just because you hate HP?
yes this is one and the only reason. i like reverse engineering and if i managed to do something for rom upgrade, i certainly would do but i dont have enough knowledge and tools.
this is the bad thing about pocketpc OS. most of the things are stored in rom so the only thing you can do is a runtime patch in order to change the behavior of the programs and there is only one tool for doing such job:embedded visual c++ which is just an ordinary debugger.

AssetBurned
05-23-2004, 09:44 PM
why donīt you use linux on your pda?
you HP supports communitys like handhelds.org which provide linux for pdas. so the ipaq serie is the best supported series ever.

ok i tryed linux on a ipaq and i donīt like it. but only because it doesnīt support some of the functions i need. so maybe later it will support it.

btw i also donīt like the idea to buy a device and have to see that i could get the same device some month later with more functions. but hey thatīs the system in whitch we live.
that kind of Star Trek live in which everyone could everything for free... takes some more time and i hop it doesnīt need a third world war like in Star Trek :grumble:

Janak Parekh
05-23-2004, 09:49 PM
btw i also donīt like the idea to buy a device and have to see that i could get the same device some month later with more functions. but hey thatīs the system in whitch we live.
It costs money to develop a new OS for an existing device. That said, HP and other companies typically have a "grace window" for which they offer free upgrades (i.e., for very recently-purchased devices). Of course, we don't know their SE plan yet.

--janak

Kowalski
05-27-2004, 06:20 PM
why donīt you use linux on your pda?
simple: i hate linux

and for HP, if HP engineered windows mobile instead of microsoft, they would deserve money for sure but they are only adapting the software!!!
if i'll give money to someone for an upgrade, this must be microsoft, not HP

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 06:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken Microsoft gets a cut, because this voids your license to the previous version, (which means you need a new one) MS makes money off of each new license.

Kowalski
05-27-2004, 06:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken Microsoft gets a cut
this is not true i think because if this was true, all other companies would sell the upgrade.
this is the case for OS itself. HP pays money for every license to microsoft for sure

Kacey Green
05-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Why do nearly all of the companies that do charge charge $29 or $30 ?

ctmagnus
05-27-2004, 10:01 PM

Marketing: $29 and $30 appear at first glance to be cheaper than $28.97.

:mrgreen:

Pony99CA
05-27-2004, 11:41 PM

Actually, it's the other way around. That's why so many prices are $29.95 or $39.99 instead of $30 or $40. It's also probably why gas has the 0.9 cents instead of being rounded to the penny.

Steve

Pony99CA
05-27-2004, 11:47 PM
and for HP, if HP engineered windows mobile instead of microsoft, they would deserve money for sure but they are only adapting the software!!!
So I guess you don't think adapting a complicated software package like the Pocket PC OS to a hardware platform, testing it on the device, setting up the ordering mechanism and distributing the package costs money, eh? :roll:

Do you think your admitted dislike for HP could be biasing you at all?

Steve

ctmagnus
05-28-2004, 03:34 AM

Actually, it's the other way around. That's why so many prices are $29.95 or $39.99 instead of $30 or $40. It's also probably why gas has the 0.9 cents instead of being rounded to the penny.

Steve

:oops:

I was basing my statement on number of digits. Given a quick glance (really quick, in order to not notice the decimal), a price with two digits will seem much cheaper than a price with four numbers in it. But yours is what I had heard/read so many years ago and since forgot.

Kati Compton
05-29-2004, 05:29 AM
The "charging extra for the brand name" discussion has been moved to here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28478&highlight=

RobertS
06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
My question is this....

If I buy a h2210 next week, will it have 2003 SE installed?

If not, will it come with the update CD?

If not, when the CD is released will I get the update free since the update was announced before I purchased the unit?

Just curious....

Pony99CA
06-02-2004, 11:38 AM
If I buy a h2210 next week, will it have 2003 SE installed?
Probably not. HP would have to change their production to do that. Besides, they're probably more interested in getting new iPAQs with WM 2K3 SE out there; they typically make upgrades available well after the new machines.

I'm not even sure you'd get any ROM updates to WM 2K3 already installed. Does anybody know if HP does that?

If not, will it come with the update CD?

Again, probably not, for the reasons mentioned above.

If not, when the CD is released will I get the update free since the update was announced before I purchased the unit?
Probably, based on HP's past trends.

However, I haven't heard any announcements about WM 2K3 SE updates from HP, so this is all just speculation.

Steve

Darius Wey
06-02-2004, 02:12 PM
I think with the boom of broadband and all that, there is little expectation from a consumer point of view that companies will have their updates preinstalled on devices or on the CD as it requires altering the entire production line to accomodate for such changes. Although...(as an example), MS does slipstream their Windows products with new service packs, this is a costly process, and I'm sure not all corporate companies would want to fork out money to update all devices sold in the market. For all ROM updates and new OSes, I'm sure they (including HP) would expect you to download it rather than expect it to be available when you purchase the device.

It's all a monetary issue - why else do you think they don't include manuals in a lot of software now (apart from the environmental issue)?

$$$ - it's all centred on this now! :roll:

Sven Johannsen
06-02-2004, 03:30 PM
$$$ - it's all centred on this now! :roll:

And it wasn't before?

milkman dan
06-02-2004, 03:59 PM
this is slightly off topic, but what exactly would one gain by the update? 99% of windows updates (that don't deal with security issues) are compleatly useless

Pony99CA
06-02-2004, 05:36 PM
this is slightly off topic, but what exactly would one gain by the update? 99% of windows updates (that don't deal with security issues) are compleatly useless
If you're asking what the Windows Mobile 2003 SE upgrade adds, there are two main features -- support for 480x640 displays (and other resolutions, actually) and on-the-fly switching between portrait and landscape mode.

There are other changes, too, but I think those are the biggest. See Brighthand's review (http://www.brighthand.com/article/Brighthand_Review_Windows_Mobile_SE) for more details.

Steve

RobertS
06-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Yes, the resolution and orientation changes are big....but useless on the 2210.

It seems that many of the other features I have heard mentioned (the once I was really interested in), such as WPA support and improved BT abilities are included in a firmware update that went up for the 2210/2215 on HP's site today. It's free but not up in English yet. If you are a portugese speaker you are in luck though.

Here's the URL

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21001.html

I imagine the English version will be up soon.

RobertS

ddavtian
06-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Yes, the resolution and orientation changes are big....but useless on the 2210.

why is the orientation change useless on the 2210?
For me that's the biggest reason to get the update.
David

zcmc1066
06-02-2004, 11:53 PM
1.10 update Is not SE this one was out in english awhile ago

milkman dan
06-03-2004, 04:43 AM
I don't see how the resolution could add ANYTHING to the 221X, but I can see the portrait/landscape mode beinfg handy. Does it offer ANY speed increased at all? I notice PPC's are still kinda chuggy when playing SNES roms, and will take any speed I can get

Darius Wey
06-03-2004, 06:38 AM
And it wasn't before?

Fine...ditch the use of my word 'now' :p

BanjoFrog
06-03-2004, 06:38 PM
The HP salesperson I just talked to said "I have no information on that" when I asked about an SE upgrade. Bummer...

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:30 AM
The HP salesperson I just talked to said "I have no information on that" when I asked about an SE upgrade. Bummer

Yeh, the sales people tend to be limited on their knowledge of upgrades compared with the people on the inside (the techies). I guess all we can do is wait huh?