* D-Pad will apparently be replaced with a touchpad navigation system
* New casing material unlike any of the current models
* Powered by a 1800mAh lithium Ion battery with an option for a 3600mAh
* Dimensions would be 129 X 77 X 14.7 mm

Image:

http://gaudi.fa.utl.pt/~bfigueiredo/vgaipaq.jpg

Sven Johannsen
05-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I like it. 'bout time the standard RAM got upgraded. The dual slot will make a lot of folks happy, me included. So far there is no SD ethernet, modem, or VGA out card, all of which are very useful.

townsendtribe
05-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Very sweeeeeet! Looks kinda like the toshiba... nice sleek lines. I think I need to update my Christmas List!

Paul P
05-17-2004, 05:25 PM
8O

Those specs are killer, the wait was definitely worth it. The coolest pocket pc yet. Hopefully nothing changes between now and the time of release. Touchpad navigation system? Can't wait to see how that works.

dochall
05-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Touchpad navigation system? Can't wait to see how that works.

I'm more worried that it does work. Seem weird to me.

edit - and the speaker looks too small again. The 5550 is not :bad-words: loud enough.

Steven Cedrone
05-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Looks hot! I hope the casing is the metal case like the old Jornada 5xx series had. I like the touch pad as well (but I'm not really a gamer)

Steve

townsendtribe
05-17-2004, 05:41 PM

edit - and the speaker looks too small again. The 5550 is not :bad-words: loud enough.

Doesn't look too complicated to me... in fact, it seems like there is less to break. I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of the response of the D-Pad on my Axim, and I went through two of them on previous iPAQs.

I am concerned with how it will affect gaming though... I know I like a game or three while waiting in line somewhere...

Pony99CA
05-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I posted about this at pocketnow (http://www.pocketnow.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15719), and I wondered how a touchpad would work without a cursor/pointer.

I suppose that dragging your finger down could represent a press of the down side of a directional pad, but, for long sequences, you'd have to keep moving your finger up and down instead just holding the d-pad down. Maybe the edges would allow repeating, but it seems more complicated than a d-pad.

Steve

netboy_my
05-17-2004, 06:05 PM
I guess I'm not regretting having bought my h4150 few days back. This new model is rumoured to be the same price of the current h55xx series and I wouldn't want to spend that kind of amount on a PPC.. ;)

Anyhow, this design do have a Toshiba-feel. Probably the touchpad is for fingerprint scanner?

Pony99CA
05-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Probably the touchpad is for fingerprint scanner?
No, I believe the hx2700 is the only iPAQ rumored to have a fingerprint scanner. I haven't seen any indication that the hx4700 would have one.

Steve

Paul P
05-17-2004, 06:18 PM

I think it's save to say that this will not go well with gamers (at least considering those games that you cannot play without a normal dpad). We'll see. I would imagine this would be a more user friendly touchpad than that of a laptop - as it would be easier to use with a thumb. It may also be more sensitive and reponsive than your average touchpad with respect to the speed and accuracy of the navigation. At any rate, it's good to see new innovation in ppcs.

Pat Logsdon
05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I've just posted about this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28074&highlight=) on the front page, so please post any replies in that thread. Thanks!