View Full Version : Hard-drive for a e740

Fredde87
05-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi

I am sorry, I know this has probebly been asked several times.. But I searched but couldnt find a exact answer...

I would like to invest in a hard-drive for my Toshiba e740. I have found drivers for usb hard-drives.. But I am going to use it when I am in the car. So I need a usb hard-drive that can run of the power from the usb cable (no external power is acceptable)...

Is there any? And is there anyone who has some experience in this area? Hopefully with a toshiba pda as well :)

Thanks

Janak Parekh
05-16-2004, 11:41 PM
I would like to invest in a hard-drive for my Toshiba e740. I have found drivers for usb hard-drives.. But I am going to use it when I am in the car. So I need a usb hard-drive that can run of the power from the usb cable (no external power is acceptable)...
I don't see this happening. USB, especially on a PDA, doesn't have enough power to support an external hard drive. :| Your best bet is to get a 4GB Microdrive instead...

--janak

Fredde87
05-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Okej,

thanks... thats what I was expecting :/

And there isnt a battery powered one that will last for at least 4 hours?

Janak Parekh
05-18-2004, 02:15 AM
And there isnt a battery powered one that will last for at least 4 hours?
I haven't heard of one. It might be possible to manually build a battery pack that would work with an enclosure, but I don't know where to point you for that. :|

--janak

Gen-M
05-20-2004, 05:35 PM
ANYPAK http://www.anypakusa.com/ has a hard drive that works with the e740 and instructions for building a battery pack for it.

GoldKey
06-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't something like an iriver hard disk mp3 player that is accessible directly as a hard disk work since the drive is powered by its own battery. I am thinking about trading my axim for a toshiba to get the usb host capability so I can have 40 GB to hook to my PPC.

yankeejeep
06-16-2004, 08:57 PM
My question would be whether there is a PPC USB driver to support the iriver. Anyone know if the ratoc mass storage driver supports this?

GoldKey
06-16-2004, 09:22 PM
If a regular external HDD works, than this should, because for all intents and purposes it is just a HDD.