View Full Version : Dead Pixels

deadfolk
05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I just got my second e800 after returning the first one due to it having four or five dead pixels on the screen.
Charged it up, and guess what? :bad-words: That's right...more dead pixels. Different supplier, too - so unlikely to be a bad batch.

I don't know if I might get lucky the third time, or I should just cut my losses and go for an iPaq. That would be a shame, as I love the VGA screen and the inbuilt CF slot - not to mention money spent on a case and screen protectors.

Has anyone else heard of problems like these on Toshiba devices? Is this common, or have I just been REALLY unlucky?

Jason Dunn
05-16-2004, 04:18 PM
The higher the screen resolution, the higher the chance of dead pixels, because the screen is more difficult to get flawless...but it does seem strange that you've had two bad units. :(

deadfolk
05-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Exactly - four times more likely.
I think I will try once more, as I do like the e800.

Janak Parekh
05-16-2004, 09:32 PM
I have one dead pixel on my e800, as far as I can tell. I've decided to keep it, though, since it's nearly impossible to notice.

--janak

deadfolk
05-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Well, thanks for the input, folks.
I tried another e800, and it was the worst one I'd seen. Someone obviously didn't want me getting a Tosh - that's three for three.

My new iPaq is charging up...

deadfolk
05-19-2004, 07:21 PM
...and going back to the store.

Seems no-one can make a PocketPC with 100% working pixels.
Or did I offend the god of PocketPCs somehow?

I'm starting to lose my sense of humour about this whole sorry affair.
That's four (I kid you not) devices returned.

I've never had a PPC before, and when I started playing with the first Toshiba, I realised how cool they were, and how much it would (literally) change my life to have one of these things at my fingertips all the time.

I've spent quite a bit of cash (which I can't really afford) on software, but I am seriously considering forgetting the whole idea and just getting a refund.

Hugely disappointed,

DF

Janak Parekh
05-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Or did I offend the god of PocketPCs somehow?
This is indeed very weird. 8O I've only had one dead pixel amongst the four Pocket PCs I've owned, and I've seen many others without any problems whatsoever. Maybe the store you're going to is storing them in poor conditions, which is leading to failure?

Actually... on second thought, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the store is just resealing up the defective units. :roll:

--janak

full-auto
05-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I've owned two Toshiba's (e750 and a new e800) and no dead pixels.

On my e800 I have two 'dark' spots. The pixels are there, and are viewable, but there is a like a little shaddow over two regions of the screen, and they're about 1/8th of an inch in diameter.

You can only see the dark areas when viewing white background screens. Here's what's strange, when the device is off you can see the dark spots if you hold the screen at an angle to your eyes.

Anyone else seen this? It's not a major problem as there are no dead pixels, but it seems as if something is on the inside of the screen.

Tim

deadfolk
05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Oddly enough, I got the machines from three different shops! And they were all sealed.

I finally have a device with a fully working screen (an iPaq 5550), and am satisfied, but worried about the future.
The guy in the shop said that in order to return a device to HP, it had to have SEVEN bad pixels. That's right - SEVEN!!

I really had to fight for a replacement, and it was only threats of contesting payment with the credit card company that got him to relent.

Has anyone else heard about this happening? Is buying a PPC really a game of roulette where if you get a bad screen, you're lumbered with it? I'm happy with what I have now, but what when it comes time to upgrade - am I going to have to worry that these companies can legally supply us defective goods and refuse to replace them?

Surely the criteria for what is acceptable should be defined by the customer, not the manufacturer.

full-auto
05-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah... upgrades.

I fear my new e800 will be replaced in a few months with the new e830 just announced. It has a Xscale 520mhz and will run Moblie PC 2003 SE (second edition). It will have native support for VGA mode built into the OS.

Looks like VGA isn't going to be a Toshiba only thing in the next few months. HP/iPAQ announced they are making new and smaller models running the new VGA standard with MPC SE... and will be selling them I think by July or before fall.

Oh yeah, and the new e830 will have Bluetooth support with WiFi... CRAP!

I just blew $500 down a hole... and I was thinking of buying a $100 Bluetooth card. Not now... I'll just put the money towards the new e830 and sell this one on eBay.

The technology race sucks.

Tim

Janak Parekh
05-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Oddly enough, I got the machines from three different shops! And they were all sealed.
Weird!

Has anyone else heard about this happening? Is buying a PPC really a game of roulette where if you get a bad screen, you're lumbered with it?
It's extraordinarily rare, actually. I've seen, as I said, one bad pixel TOTAL amongst perhaps 10 or more Pocket PCs. I guess you're balancing out the average. :|

I fear my new e800 will be replaced in a few months with the new e830 just announced. It has a Xscale 520mhz and will run Moblie PC 2003 SE (second edition). It will have native support for VGA mode built into the OS.
I believe the e830 is still a rumor and not officially confirmed, though. See this link (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27133). In the meantime, I'm eagerly awaiting an SE upgrade for my e805. :)

--janak