View Full Version : Connection Toggling?

yanathin
05-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I use the internet all the time on my 4150 because of it's Bluetooth and WiFi built in. The only thing I don't like is that you have to do a little more than anybody should have to for it to connect anywhere. To connect to my T610 via bluetooth, I have to hit the bluetooth icon, turn bluetooth on, go into the bluetooth manager, double click the icon that connects to my phone, select the internet connection to use, click OK and close the bluetooth manager. I may be really picky, but that seems like a lot more work than it should be to connect with bluetooth. WiFi is a lot less work, but you still have to open up the iPAQ Wireless program to turn it on.

Is there a program out there that has the ability to just do everything all at once? For example, if I put the program on my Today screen with SPB Pocket Plus 2.0, all I would have to do is click a "bluetooth" icon and it automatically turns on bluetooth and connects to my phone. Same with WiFi, all I would have to do is click the WiFi icon and wifi automatically turns on. In short, something that can toggle a connection on or off. If anybody could direct me to a program of this kind, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Pony99CA
05-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I use the internet all the time on my 4150 because of it's Bluetooth and WiFi built in. The only thing I don't like is that you have to do a little more than anybody should have to for it to connect anywhere. To connect to my T610 via bluetooth, I have to hit the bluetooth icon, turn bluetooth on, go into the bluetooth manager, double click the icon that connects to my phone, select the internet connection to use, click OK and close the bluetooth manager. I may be really picky, but that seems like a lot more work than it should be to connect with bluetooth. WiFi is a lot less work, but you still have to open up the iPAQ Wireless program to turn it on.

Is there a program out there that has the ability to just do everything all at once? For example, if I put the program on my Today screen with SPB Pocket Plus 2.0, all I would have to do is click a "bluetooth" icon and it automatically turns on bluetooth and connects to my phone. Same with WiFi, all I would have to do is click the WiFi icon and wifi automatically turns on. In short, something that can toggle a connection on or off.
I can't help directly with your question, but I may be able to save you a couple of steps. On my iPAQ 5550, starting Bluetooth Manager turns Bluetooth on automatically, so you can skip your first two steps (assuming the 4150 Bluetooth Manager works the same way).

Steve

Jason Dunn
05-16-2004, 04:19 PM
No, there's no easy way to do this. It's yet another shortcoming of Connection Manager - Microsoft didn't seem to envision people using multiple forms of wireless. :?

Kowalski
05-16-2004, 06:36 PM
this seems interesting. you'll probably tap your screen 10s or 100 times when you get online but you are asking a way to reduce 4-5 taps to less? :|

Zack Mahdavi
05-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, here's what I do... I keep bluetooth on all the time (it drains the battery more, but it's not a noticeable difference... especially if you charge every night). In the Connections panel (which can be accessed from the settings menu), I created a connection called "Bluetooth Settings." In there, I added the number to dial (*99#) to connect to the internet through my cell phone.

Then in the Connections "Advanced" tab, if you click, "Select Networks", select "Bluetooth Settings" to connect to automatically when a program tries to connect to the network.

So now... if you want to get internet access, you can click the connection icon with the X at the top, and select the connection you just set up. It will automatically connect through your bluetooth phone. If you'd rather connect via WiFi, just turn on WiFi and wait for a network connection to be established. Now, your Pocket PC will use WiFi instead of trying to dial via bluetooth.

So things are simplified a lot. No taps necessary to establish a bluetooth connection. 1 - 2 taps to establish a WiFi connection.