View Full Version : PPCW.net Reviews Spb Pocket Plus 2.0

Jason Dunn
05-15-2004, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1915&catid=60' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1915&catid=60</a><br /><br /></div>"When you hear the name Spb Pocket Plus, the first thing that comes to mind is usually the task switcher/killer add-on for the Pocket PC. But even with the previous versions, Pocket Plus was never just a task switcher/killer. It was a collection of handy utilities that extended the Pocket PC's capabilities. It added a Today plugin, repeating alarms, extended the Pocket Internet Explorer's capabilities and provided a fix for the notification problems of Windows Mobile 2003 devices. Spb Pocket Plus 2.0, promises to do that plus a lot more. We take a look at Pocket Plus 2.0 and see what's new with and if it stands up to what it claims to be..."<br /><br />Looking for another viewpoint on Pocket Plus 2.0? Carlo Guerrero at PPCW.net has written a very detailed review of this program. Check out out, then <A HREF=http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&productId=50351" target="_blank">buy it here</A>. ;-) [Affiliate]

mmidgley
05-16-2004, 12:18 AM
8O It couldn't have been coincidence that a day before 2.0 was released, I was thinking about trying Battery Pack again (I own it also). I thought, "I would really like to be able to drag all these icons around." Well, the next day I saw the announcement for 2.0 and I bought it before even downloading (something I would normally never do).

So far so good! I am very pleased with SPB for their 2.0 update to Pocket Plus. The upgrade for 1.3 owners is very generous at $4.95 (althought that's for a limited time if I remember right). That low price includes Pocket Plus 2.0, 12 extra super themes, and the Arkaball game! (I haven't tried the game yet as I've been occupied with Pocket Plus).

The only issue I've seen yet with Pocket Plus 2.0 is with *.exe files that are directly in the Windows Start Menu structure that I wanted to add to the today plugin. I added three of them, and when I tapped on the icon Pocket Plus ran the wrong one of the three! (I even double checked that I was tapping on the right icon). Pocket Plus seems to expect (or at least work best) with only shortcuts in the Start Menu, so I moved the *.exe files off into \Program Files land, and made shortcuts to them. That also seems to work better since the program's native icon is used when its a shortcut, but a generic icon if its a .exe. Ok, that took more words than I planned to use to explain that. Also, it did work to leave .exe in the start menu and use the custom add file feature to display them in the today plugin.

m.

mrkablooey
05-16-2004, 02:25 PM
this is definitely a great update! i got arkball with the first version and play it quite often. it's a blast--only wish you could save where you are so you don't have to start at stage 1 again. maybe there is and i just missed it. :wink:

shawnc
05-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Great service + great features = Tremendous Value. I wasn't overly impressed at first only because I'm not as technical as most. But after playing with this for a couple of hours, it is a fantastic product.

What I like most is the ease of installation as well as the friendly emails from their customer service.

One question - "Why don't all software developers get it??" Customer service is an intgregal part of the purchase. Pay as much attention to it as you do to software development and your chances of success increase exponentially.