View Full Version : Gadget durability

Robb Bates
05-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I was just wondering why PPCs have to be so delicate. I mean when I get home and "unload" I take off my watch and toss it on my dresser. CLUNK! I take my keys out of my pocket (with my car remote) and toss it on my dresser. CLUNK! I take my cell phone out of my pocket and toss it on my dresser. clunk! (slightly less of a clunk) and then I pull my PPC off my belt and gently place it on my dresser. (insert sound effect for leatheroid belt case delicately being placed on wooden dresser)

I know there are ruggedized PPCs out there, but why is it so hard to make a PPC that I can beat up and abuse and have it still work like my watch, key remote and almost my cell phone. If one of these three were to fall out of my hands and onto a tile floor I'd just bend over and pick it up without even worrying if it was still working. If my PPC were to fall out of my hands, time would slow to a crawl while I watch my PPC tumble slowly end over end to it's doom.

Just griping,
Robb

Kevin C. Tofel
05-14-2004, 11:16 PM
I don't disagree as I dropped my Axim x5 a whopping 3 inches and cracked the screen in two places! You have to get the angle JUST right and I couldn't do it again if I tried!!! This is the price we pay for mobility of data and functionality.

If you're serious about giving up some functions, but gaining some durability, there are a few options. Here's (http://www.panasonic.com/computer/toughbook/learn_more_tbP1.asp) one possibility if you don't mind something slightly larger and running PPC2002.

I think it really comes down to the display....we can buy cases, rubber grips, etc....to help cushion the unit, but the screens are so darn fragile! Perhaps the new OLED or some other screen technology will give us a strong screen that can still "read" screen taps..... 8)

KCT

Zack Mahdavi
05-14-2004, 11:30 PM
I think it's your punishment for buying an expensive device. :)

Seriously, though, you can't throw around a PDA. You can't throw around a laptop either (unless you get the rugged kinds). Why? The LCD screens are too fragile.

Sure, you might argue that a cell phone has an LCD screen as well, but those screens are also susceptible to screen cracks. However, the manufacturers generally put a lot of effort in shielding the LCD from shocks. Why don't the PDA manufacturers do the same thing? Maybe it would make the case too thick? Maybe we've just grown so accustomed to babying our PDAs that manufacturers just don't want to put the time into making the devices stronger?

I really don't know the answer... my conspiracy theory is that manufacturers do it on purpose so we have to pay big bucks when the screen breaks! :)

ctmagnus
05-15-2004, 01:34 AM
...and in my experience, no matter how hard I try to prevent it, it will hit the floor at one point or another. ;)

The drawback being, since I own an iPaq 5550, it will always land on the corner with the Wifi antenna and the volume up/down control, regardless of how durable the case it's in is. I recently had one replaced due to this very thing, rendering the volume up button useless.