View Full Version : clie th 55 wifi testdrive

bjornkeizers
05-14-2004, 02:23 PM
hi all!

yesterday i boght a sony clie th55. Yes thats right; a palm :D

I love it to bits. its got bleutooth, 320x480 res screen, camera and, best of all... Built in wifi!

im sitting on my couch pecking away with the stylus... ouch i have a cramp like you wouldnt believe. But its well worth it. :-)

ta ta im in the bathroom sending mails to china if anyone needs me.

Stephen Beesley
05-14-2004, 03:04 PM
hi all!

yesterday i boght a sony clie th55. Yes thats right; a palm :D
I love it to bits. its got bleutooth, 320x480 res screen, camera and, best of all... Built in wifi!
im sitting on my couch pecking away with the stylus... ouch i have a cramp like you wouldnt believe. But its well worth it. :-)
ta ta im in the bathroom sending mails to china if anyone needs me.

Sort of ties in with what I mentioned HERE (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27968) about some of the innovative and tempting hardware coming out of the Palm camp (and others). Your post prompted me to read the Brighthand review (http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sony_Clie_TH55_Review) of the th55 and there definatley is a lot I like about this one. In particular I am very interested in what Sony has done with the PIM apps to make them more like a paper dairy. This is very reminiscent of the built in PIMs in the good ol' Newton and something I like the look of. The only two things that would really put me off this device are the lack of a real dpad (I love my games) and the incomplete support for landscape mode.

Ohh yeah ..... that and the fact that I would be stuck with Graffiti 2 or Decuma - neither of which cut the mustard for me.

Still I can see why you went for one of these.

jnajera
05-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Where did you get the dual wireless version and how much?

bjornkeizers
05-14-2004, 09:52 PM
It's a european version [E2]. I bought it here in Enschede, The Netherlands. I paid 449 euro for it. If I was you, I wouldn't convert that to dollars - it's likely to give you a seizure :D

Still, it's more then worth it mind you. Dual wireless, a camera, a huge, high resolution screen, a camera...

I have it tweaked to hell and back already. I installed WiFile which lets me remotely access shared folders on my laptop. I was sitting downstairs in the kitchen, downloading documents and wallpapers from my laptop sitting in the attic on my desk!

And to top it all off, I installed PocketTunes and started streaming shoutcast radio over WiFi. The speaker is tiny and tinny, but with headphones it sounds just like my PC! 8O

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? You bet. Even after only 24 hours I consider this the best 450 euro I ever spent :-) I'm in love. If I could, I would marry it. I'll still use my PPC of course, but the next one would have to have WiFi, cause right now - I don't know how I could do without it :D

Zack Mahdavi
05-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Yes, the Palm OS camp keeps pumping out some very intuitive hardware. It really amazes me what devices are available now.

However, I myself wouldn't buy a Palm until Palm OS 6 is available. OS 6 is just too big of an upgrade to skip over.

But there's a problem. Now that I've switched to the Pocket PC camp, I can't see myself switching back to the Palm OS. I've spent so MUCH money on 3rd party applications that switching would burn a real hole in my pocket.

For the most part, I'm really happy with Windows Mobile, but there are some weird inconsistencies that make me want to switch back at times... :?

Anyway, have fun with your new CLIE!

bjornkeizers
05-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Personally, I can't choose between any one platform. Both are totally different. If I need absolute bang for my buck and compatibility and ease of use across the board, I'd go for PPC.

But name me one PPC with these features! I can't think of one that has BT, WiFi, and a camera all in one. And it's in a tablet shape with virtual graffiti, so it's pretty much all screen in the front. It doesn't even have a D-pad. There are four tiny app buttons on the very front [at an angle] and there's a jog wheel and three buttons on the back. You can't even use it if you're left handed.

It's a gutsy move I'll give them that. It's totally unusable for gaming with buttons, and the button layout will take a few days to get used to. But the rest of the package more then makes up for it. I don't play many games on it, mostly bejewelled or whatnot, and I'd rather have pixels then buttons.