View Full Version : How important are the available input methods to your choice of PDA

Stephen Beesley
05-14-2004, 10:33 AM
leading on from some other discussions here about new Pocket PC devices, and some of those from the competition, it got me thinking about the main factor that I have not jumped ship (although often very tempted) to a competing device.

I realised that, for me, it comes down to the input methods that are available. As it stands, only the Pocket PC (of devices still being manufactured :D ) offeres me the option of real Handwriting Recognition. Even with Graffiti 2 or Jot on a palm platform it is still really a souped up character recogniser and the Decuma HWR on the Zaurus also forces you to write one charecter at a time in an input panel at the bottom of the screen. What I want is to be able to write anywhere on the screen in whole sentances, using my normal handwriting. At the moment only Transcriber/Calligrapher give me that option.

So, for me at least, it is the lack of proper HWR that has so far stopped me jumping over to something like the Palm T3 or a Zaurus - both of which I consider to be very nice PDAs in pretty much every other sense.

For other people I am sure the lack of what I call "proper" HWR is of little importance, but maybe it is an integrated thumboard that they really desire. Others may be just as happy to conform to whatever input method a particular device offeres if the other features are what they are after.

So how important are the available input methods to YOUR choice of PDA?

Talldog
05-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I've just never warmed up to handwriting recognition, even though I own Calligrapher. There are just too many things I have to go back and correct. I always end up going back to Fitaly which, as luck would have it, is available for both PalmOS and PPC. However, if I could get a PPC roughly the size of my 4155 with a thumbboard, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and never look back. It took a while, but I've really warmed up to the thumbboard on my BlackBerry. The 4355 is just too damn long, and the two tone color scheme makes it look weird, like the keyboard was glued on.

Zack Mahdavi
05-14-2004, 04:45 PM
The only two input methods I look for are Graffiti (I love Grafitti....) and a Fitaly keyboard. As long as those two are available, then I am happy.

I also like to make sure a Stowaway keyboard is available for a new device before I buy one. Hopefully this problem will be solved with the new upcoming Bluetooth stowaway. :)

Jeff Rutledge
05-14-2004, 05:09 PM
For me, it's FITALY all the way. Since it's a third party app, it's not really a consideration for me.

I wouldn't mind an external keypad if one was available, but I would categorize that as a nice-to-have.

dmjames
05-14-2004, 07:49 PM
FITALY for me too, it is easy to use.