View Full Version : Dream World: 1 USB PDA and 1 Bluetooth PDA sync?

atwnsw
05-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Okay, I know that variations of this topic have been covered but it seems that solutions are different, depending on the need. So, I am going to explain my needs, and hope/pray that there is a solution.

A) I have 2 1945 PDA's for me and my wife. I am the only one using outlook at home and would like to have both contacts/calendars/to do list synced on my computer with both her pda and mine.

We share everything so there is no chance of her running a separate outlook with her own contacts.

B) Syncing at Home
I have a desktop at home with outlook. I have been syncing with a USB cradle for my pda and would like to be able to sync her pda using bluetooth from her room remotely to my computer. Is this possible while my PDA is in the cradle? Can I have them both setup at the same time?

C) Syncing at Work
I have a desktop at work and have been syncing only my To-do list and calendar. If I do both A & B at home, would I be in trouble trying to sync my work contacts (which are totally different) w/ my home contacts lists? Would it merge them or possibly lose one?

D) Software issues

I am looking for the following software and could use some help:

1 ) Battery Viewing Software
2) PDA Soft/Hard Reset Software
3) Backup Software so I don't lose everything with all my syncing

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Janak Parekh
05-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Re B: no, ActiveSync can only handle one partnership at a time, no matter the connection type. :|

Re C: ActiveSync can't handle separate sets, so it'd merge them (after prompting you whether or not that's what you want).

For D: Pocket Plus handles #1 nicely, while Sprite Backup is probably the best for #3.

--janak

Pony99CA
05-14-2004, 04:16 AM
I am looking for the following software and could use some help:

1 ) Battery Viewing Software
2) PDA Soft/Hard Reset Software
3) Backup Software so I don't lose everything with all my syncing

Janak answered #1 and #3 for you, so I'll answer #2. PHM Task Manager (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/TaskMgr) allows both soft and hard resetting of your Pocket PC. (I haven't actually tried the hard reset capability, though. :-))

Howver, the rest of the Task Manager may or may not work properly. I recall having problems displaying processes, for example.

Steve

Pony99CA
05-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Re B: no, ActiveSync can only handle one partnership at a time, no matter the connection type. :|
Actually, you can sync another Pocket PC while one is in the cradle as long as the one in the cradle isn't the active device. If atwnsw turns the iPAQ in the cradle off after he synchronizes, it will keep charging and another Pocket PC can synchronize. I do this with my iPAQ 5550 and 3650 regularly.

Of course, if atwnsw was actually asking if two Pocket PCs can synchronize at the same time, you are completely correct.

Steve

Janak Parekh
05-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Actually, you can sync another Pocket PC while one is in the cradle as long as the one in the cradle isn't the active device. If atwnsw turns the iPAQ in the cradle off after he synchronizes, it will keep charging and another Pocket PC can synchronize. I do this with my iPAQ 5550 and 3650 regularly.
Right -- in fact, you can have both cradles plugged in.

--janak

Pony99CA
05-14-2004, 05:13 AM
Right -- in fact, you can have both cradles plugged in.

That's exactly what I do -- both of my iPAQs' cradles are connected to my laptop.

It would be nice if they could both sync at once, though. Having a tabbed interface where each partnered or connected Pocket PC was represented by a tab would allow easily seeing what was happening with multiple devices.

Steve

atwnsw
05-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all your input..........Anthony