View Full Version : When are the next generation iPaq's due to be released?

Maleboligia
05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
I am looking at a iPaq 2210 but I want to make sure a bigger & better one doesn't come out right away.

Robb Bates
05-13-2004, 05:18 PM
The next ones that come out are going to be much better. VGA screens are what I'm looking forward to.

On a side note, why the 2210? I have one and as much as I love it, the 4150 sure looks sweet. I got my 2210 thinking the CF slot would come in handy, but I haven't used it at all. And I sure would like to have that built in WiFi.

If I could do a one for one swap, I'd get a 4150, but other than that, the 2210 is a winner in my book.

Robb

Kati Compton
05-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Keep in mind that unfortunately (or fortunately), USUALLY a "better" PPC comes out shortly after you buy one. It's the law of technology. ;)

Maleboligia
05-13-2004, 05:21 PM
The main reason is because it has SD and CF because I have plans to use both for sure. VGA screens as in VGA out? Or just VGA display?

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 05:30 PM
VGA screens as in VGA out? Or just VGA display?
He means a 480x640 display. Two devices already have them (the e805, currently shipping, and the announced Asus A730). I have no concrete details on HP's upcoming devices, but you'd assume they'll eventually feature a VGA unit...

--janak

Robb Bates
05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
The main reason is because it has SD and CF because I have plans to use both for sure.

What are they?

Robb

Maleboligia
05-13-2004, 06:49 PM
CF I plan to get the Sandisk WiFi card with 128MB of memory and for SD 256MB more memory. I guess both are not vital but I figured why not have the option just in case.

Robb Bates
05-13-2004, 06:59 PM
If you get the 4150, it has built in wifi and then you can use the SD slot for up to 1GB of memory.

Robb

Ripper014
05-13-2004, 07:54 PM
The CF slot always opens up alternative options... I like the fact that my main applications can stay on the SD card... while i dedicate my CF card to mass media storage... things such as audio books... music... video... books.. etc...

In addition I can use Wifi... Modems... Lans... GPS... and other assorted cards made for the CF format... Besides... CF memory is a heck of a lot cheaper than SD...

But my dream device at this point going strictly by the data sheets would be the Asus A730... who would not want 4 times the display area...

Robb Bates
05-13-2004, 08:13 PM
I hear that!

CF? No CF? It's one of those never ending questions. I think my next PPC is not going to have a CF. I just can't think of anything I need that I can't do some ohter way. Wifi, Modem, LAN, GPS, Memory, VGA out... All of these can be done with either Bluetooth, Wifi or SD card.

Name one MUST HAVE that only comes in a CF format. Probably not impossible to do, but I'm just curious. I know there are Cool WANNA HAVEs that come only in CF but MUST HAVEs? I can't think of anything.

Robb

Ripper014
05-13-2004, 08:33 PM
As a geek when has it ever been about must haves...??? It's about can do's... agreed that things like GPS can be done through Bluetooth.. but you would need to a seperate device... it would be difficult to do any GeoCaching with it. In a car it might even be a better solution.. but it does limit you. Anytime that you might need to remove your SD card to use an accessory for me would be an issue... since I keep all my main applications on the SD card.

But as a uber geek... I like to have as many options available to me as possible... the Hp2210 is not the perfect device... but it does give me the most options, and this is why I choose it over the current batch of PocketPC's available... though the Toshiba E805 would have been perhaps on the top of the list if it was available in Canada at the time... and if the price of it was projected to be lower than the $900 mark...

As it is I am satisfied with my Hp2210 at this point and look forward to the next wave of PocketPC's... Personally I have not been wowed since the Casio E-100... everything since then has been small increases in the evolutionary process... Sure the difference between the E-100 and the Hp2210 may be substantial but it has evolved over a long period of time. I am waiting for the large leap between devices that makes me sit up and take notice.

I am hoping that device is the Asus A730...

Kati Compton
05-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Name one MUST HAVE that only comes in a CF format. Probably not impossible to do, but I'm just curious. I know there are Cool WANNA HAVEs that come only in CF but MUST HAVEs? I can't think of anything.
One thing I like about dual-slot is that you can get 2 memory cards. Your reaction at this point of my statement might be "duh", but this is what I mean:

At one point, 512MB was the biggest and best for a "reasonable" price. So maybe you get that in CF. Later, when you need more room, you can get a 512MB SD for a "reasonable" price, and have 1GB total. Or get a 1GB SD when they're cheaper, and have 1.5 total. Instead of replacing, you supplement.

So, if you have 512MB already, it's a lot cheaper to go to 1GB in a dual-slot machine than a single slot machine where you have to basically replace a perfectly functional 512MB card with a 1GB SD card to get any jump on storage. True, you can swap the cards in and out, but if programs are installed on them, it might be a bit difficult/annoying.

I like having the SD card for programs and the CF card for mass media storage (I think someone else said this too). If I want WiFi or a camera or something in my Axim, I can do without the mp3s and flash anims for that length of time. But I still get to keep my expansion memory for programs.

Maleboligia
05-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Did some quick checking and the A730 definitely looks good. Is there any timeframe for it's release? My quick search just turned up 2nd half of 2004 for Asia.

Ripper014
05-14-2004, 12:11 AM
There has been no news regarding the A730... it would be at least a few months yet in North America... but in Asia I would assume that you would see it sooner.. maybe in the next month or so... well we can dream right...???

nosmohtac
05-14-2004, 12:17 AM
I would guess that no one here knows, or isn't talking about when the next iPAQ's are coming. There is very little about iPAQ in this thread, considering it's in the iPAQ forums. :wink: