View Full Version : Nintendo's new gameboy... a PDA too!

sylvangale
05-13-2004, 04:14 AM
Nintendo has released details on it's upcoming gameboy DS. It will feature dual screens. One of the screens will be touchscreen and it will come with a stylus. It now looks like the gameboy will be entering the PDA realm! :D

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/img/games/main_DS_lrg.jpg

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/index.jsp

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004May/bga20040512025109.htm

Zack Mahdavi
05-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Looks very nice! It will be interesting to see how the portable game market develops this year... I personally don't think that both the Sony PSP and Nintendo DS will be able to survive together.

kosmicki
05-13-2004, 09:08 AM
I feel Nintendo will win the portable wars. Why? First off, current owners of ANY game boy system can upgrade to this and still play their games. Nintendo has over a decade of working with portable units. They have learned some things. They have pretty much two products at the moment, Gamecube/games GBA/games. That is all they do. They are not a division of a larger company, so personally I think they would be more likely to last longer if an unfavorable market came along.

(Did you also know Nintendo is over 100+ years old? ;) Started out making playing cards.)

Not being flamebait or anything, just something I've thought about.

karan_c1990
05-13-2004, 05:09 PM
its not a gameboy- nintendo says- its completely different from the gameboy.

then- look at the psp- man the graphics are so cool
plus the games are good too- like metal gear solid etc
and- the psp- is way better- it can play movies, music etc. plus it has wi-fi.

but ninty ds- is not bad- its damn cool too- it also has wi-fi

but i prefer psp-
sony RULES!! :P

karan_c1990
05-13-2004, 05:11 PM
the plus point of the DS is the touch-screen :cool:

kosmicki
05-13-2004, 06:12 PM
its not a gameboy- nintendo says- its completely different from the gameboy.

Well it plays gameboy games, shares nearly every other trait. It may not be called a 'Gameboy' but it will forever be known as one.

Zack Mahdavi
05-13-2004, 06:51 PM
but ninty ds- is not bad- its damn cool too- it also has wi-fi

Take a look at the geek.com article.... it has bluetooth.. so the battery will last more than a touple hours. :)

Don Tolson
05-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Actually, there's an update to the Geek.com article in The Register, that corrects the 'bluetooth' thing. It's 802.11 with a special, proprietary protocol which will enhance battery life (and allow multi-player gaming!)

phritosan
05-14-2004, 09:57 AM
its both IEEE 802.11B and another seperate proprietary setup, if im remembering one of the dozen websites ive read on it in the last few days

dean_shan
05-14-2004, 06:01 PM
I think it will be cool. The Mario 64-4 (http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_software_02.jsp) looks really fun.

Zack Mahdavi
05-14-2004, 07:55 PM
its both IEEE 802.11B and another seperate proprietary setup, if im remembering one of the dozen websites ive read on it in the last few days

Oopps.. sorry, I only read that geek.com article.. :)

Aerestis
05-15-2004, 08:23 AM
I am banking on this device being the first portable gaming system that I ever buy. They are starting to actually... be cool.

I want a 3d secret of mana :) If Sony or Nintendo makes one, I will buy their device. This one looks soooOooo cool though so I want it.

sylvangale
05-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Personally I found that owning a PDA has made my gameboy advance sit more than it should. If some decent contact management app came out for the gameboy DS I'd probably switch to a gameboy for my PDA. :)

Wiggster
05-15-2004, 06:57 PM
What we need is faster PDAs, especially if I'm to believe the GameSpy article which claims that the DS uses SD for its new games.

Fishie
05-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Played it lots at the Nintendo ViP area at E3.
Had most fun with the Mario64-4 and Sonic demo´s.

Accepts both legacy Gameboy cards(GB, GBC, GBA) as wel as a new property SD like card format(its thicker then SD tough).

Sweet lil machine.

Cant wait till Nintendo gives me one.

Oh BTW microphone as well so it has the standard 6 button controller setup, the touchscreen as well as voice.