View Full Version : Replacement for Outlook

MagicConch
05-12-2004, 04:11 PM
I understand that there are replacements for the PocketPC side (Pocket Informant, etc right?) but is there replacement for the PC side. Thanks!

SHoTTa35
05-12-2004, 08:15 PM
tons of them... umm.. can't even think of names now but definitely lots..

MagicConch
05-13-2004, 12:53 AM
that's cool. if someone has the name for one or more, that would be great.

webagogue
05-13-2004, 07:41 AM
If you're like 95% of people who use Outlook and never see anything past email and maybe an appointment or two, there are replacements. If you're looking for a near 100% replacement (on a feature by feature basis) then, no, nothing compares to Outlook. Sad, but true.

For the PocketPC, Activesync is the worst sync software made - except for everything else. And it only works with Outlook. If you want to synchronize your PDA with anything other than Outlook... well... hope you like gnashing your teeth and gnarled data.

The open source PIM by Ximian (now owned by Novel) called "Evolution" is a pretty feature-rich replacement for Outlook. That is, if you're part of the 95% above. A Windows version should be coming soon, I hear.

I've heard good things about the Thunderbird email app and that is ready to roll on Windows immediately.

Any reason why you're trying to get away from Outlook? It is a oft misunderstood application. It has some pretty nice features and capabilities. Just try to get v2003 so you can turn off that wretched HTML mail.

MagicConch
05-13-2004, 11:46 AM
I thought I'd enter an appt, but it's not worth dealing with that whole program to do it. I never liked the email side of it or the interface in general, and I am guessing the others aren't simpler and definitely more of a pain to implement from what you wrote. I am sticking with thunderbird which I like a lot; I found a web email appt thing I also like a lot, so I'll use that as a replacement I think.

Thanks very much!