View Full Version : Question about ringtone "bug" (?) -- Help requested

MissTinkerbell
05-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi there,

I'm brand new to this forum and so am not sure if this is the right place to post a 'need help' question.

I've had a T-mobile (US) PPCPE for over a year now and I love it. The biggest gripe I had was that it didn't have Bluetooth.

So now that I moved to HK I discovered much to my joy the O2 XDA2 had BT and promptly bought one.

Odd as it sounds, I love the default ringtone on my old PPCPE. I copied the ringtone over to the XDA2 and followed all the instructions on setting a custom ringtone, but no joy.

It's in the list under "add ring tone" in the system tab, and I have it checked off in the check-box. But when I go over to the phone settings and look for it there, it's just the standard factory rings that are listed.

What am I missing?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

~Tink

PS... As a newbie to O2 XDA2, what else should I know/do/fix/be aware of?

Chris Spera
05-11-2004, 05:10 PM
You might want to check via File Explorer where the WAV files that the XDA2 uses as ring tones are located.

I'd bet you just don't have the file in the right place.

MissTinkerbell
05-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip. I think I've got the ringtone file in the right location (according to the manual), but it still isn't working. Either that, or I didn't read the manual correctly.

Maybe you can help further? Here are the details: The ringtone file I want is in the folder Window/Rings. If I go there and open the folder and double click the file, it will play (so I know it's the right one).

Now according to the trusty manual it says that if I go to:
Start/Settings/System (tab on the bottom)/ and click on the 'Add Ringtone' icon, a list will pop up and the file will be listed there. The file I want fails to appear in that list.

Furthermore, in that very same 'Add Ringtone' list, if I select any of the sounds by checking the box, they will not play when I hit the play button on the bottom of the screen. They also don't show up in the ringtone list in: Start/Settings/Personal (tab at the bottom) and then select the phone icon.

What am I doing wrong? :|

Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

~Tink

Chris Spera
05-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Tink,

A couple of things...

1. Try a soft reset. Maybe the files have to be read into the list box control. That will usually happen during a soft reset. Doink the button, and see if that clears things up. You may need to soft reset more than once...

2. Where did you get the WAV files? you may want to check the encoding of the files in question. It may be that they are incorrectly encoded to be used as a ring tone. You would think that ANY WAV file should be usable...but you never know.

If you can reencode the WAV files using a lower bit rate, give that a shot and see if that doesn't clear things up.

Let me know how things go.