View Full Version : USB ThumbDrive for Pocket PC???

kahchong
05-11-2004, 11:32 AM
May I know whether I can connect my USB ThumbDrive to my pocket pc so that it is easier for me to store my data.

Using a HP IPAQ h4150 Pocket PC

pivaska
05-11-2004, 01:22 PM
I have a toshiba E800 and called them for drivers. They asked what kind of a thumb drive I have and told them Dell. They said to call Dell. I emailed Dell and so far (1 week) no response. I have the attachement that will let me plug the thumb drive in. When I do it is recognized but is asking for drivers.

Kacey Green
05-11-2004, 01:53 PM
kahchong you will need an adapter cable or a Compact Flash card with USB host support and the ports, oops you're using a 1940 no cf port, hmm... you will need to find drivers and an adapter cable to get the usb pinout from your sync connector. Unless you can find an SDIO usb card.

Robb Bates
05-11-2004, 02:35 PM
I don't think you'll be able to do that. In order to use your PPC with a thumb drive, your PPC has to have USB host capability. Not all do. I'm pretty sure the 1940 does not. Some higher end Toshibas do. The only way around it is to get a USB host card, which as far as I know only comes in CF format. Do a search on this web site for USB Host and I'm sure you'll find many other discussions. You're not the first, nor will be the last to want to try this.

Trying to hook it up through your sync port won't work. It doesn't act as a USB host.

Robb

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 02:02 AM
I have a toshiba E800 and called them for drivers. They asked what kind of a thumb drive I have and told them Dell.
Neither Toshiba nor Dell will be of help.

You can find unofficial drivers -- do a search on this site for "USB mass storage driver" (without quotes, and choose search for all terms). There are a number of relevant links there.

And as for the original poster -- no iPAQ has USB host functionality built in, so it's a no-go. :( The CF-capable iPAQs could use a USB CF card, but as of this moment there are no USB SDIO cards that I know of. Your best bet is to shift strategies so you use SD for memory and carry a compact SD-to-USB adapter around with you.

--janak

kahchong
05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Many thanks a lot for your help on guiding me about my problem.

Kah Chong.

DiGiTYZED
06-20-2004, 08:02 AM
This adapter cable is essentially a USB gender changing cable, correct?

Janak Parekh
06-20-2004, 08:26 AM
This adapter cable is essentially a USB gender changing cable, correct?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. For the e805, you can either get a cable which extracts the USB pins from the bottom or the presenter pack, which provides a standard USB interface.

--janak