View Full Version : Speed-up my USB 1.1?

pepemosca
05-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi, I have an iPAQ h4150 and on my desktop computer I have an USB 1.1.

I have this problem, it takes me an hour to upload MP3s to my 256MB SD card using my HP cradle.

Is that ok? Should it go faster? I'm sure that if I buy a USB SD card reader will be faster; but can I speed-up my SD-Cradle-USB1.1 conection?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jacob
05-08-2004, 10:10 PM
I think you'd have to get a card reader (maybe USB 2.0?) to speed this up. Even a USB 1.1 card reader would be faster.

pepemosca
05-08-2004, 10:15 PM
I think you'd have to get a card reader (maybe USB 2.0?) to speed this up. Even a USB 1.1 card reader would be faster.

Yes, I know, thanks.
But is "256MB - 1 hour " right for an USB 1.1?

Zack Mahdavi
05-08-2004, 10:28 PM
But is "256MB - 1 hour " right for an USB 1.1?

I would expect a 256MB transfer to take about a half hour to complete. Transferring files through the cradle slows things down significantly (I don't know why), so an hour actually seems very reasonable to me.

I suggest buying a card reader and a USB 2.0 card if your computer doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports. You can find the USB 2.0 card for around $10 at places like eBay. You can also generaly find good deals on card readers online.

I recently purchased an 8 in 1 USB 2.0 Belkin reader from CompUSA for $19.99 on sale. So just be on the lookout for good deals.

pepemosca
05-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I would expect a 256MB transfer to take about a half hour to complete. Transferring files through the cradle slows things down significantly (I don't know why), so an hour actually seems very reasonable to me.

I suggest buying a card reader and a USB 2.0 card if your computer doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports. You can find the USB 2.0 card for around $10 at places like eBay. You can also generaly find good deals on card readers online.

I recently purchased an 8 in 1 USB 2.0 Belkin reader from CompUSA for $19.99 on sale. So just be on the lookout for good deals.

Thanks for your comments, as I see my USB port is not working wrong.

Janak Parekh
05-09-2004, 12:42 AM
It's because of the way ActiveSync works over USB.

pepemosca, just go out and buy a card reader -- they're not expensive -- and you'll be much happier.

--janak

delfuhd
05-09-2004, 05:26 AM
WHat Janak said.

I just purchased a USB card reader last week and it was wonderful, I uploaded a 192 meg video file onto my CF card in such a short amount of time. It just made me feel good inside..

Kacey Green
05-09-2004, 05:42 AM
It's because of the way ActiveSync works over USB.

pepemosca, just go out and buy a card reader -- they're not expensive -- and you'll be much happier.

--janak
From what I've seen by going through Rex's windows dir. and registry it seems that AS uses the old CE services, and emulates a serial port over any connection it makes USB, BT, If you can get WIFI to work for AS, etc.

Janak Parekh
05-09-2004, 05:44 AM
From what I've seen by going through Rex's windows dir. and registry it seems that AS uses the old CE services, and emulates a serial port over any connection it makes USB, BT, If you can get WIFI to work for AS, etc.
Almost. It does emulate serial for USB and Bluetooth. WiFi, on the other hand, uses its network "stack" and is extremely fast.

--janak

Kacey Green
05-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Wifi isn't emulated thats Fr'awsome! :D

pepemosca
05-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I'll try to download the files to my SD over Wi-Fi then :)

Stephen Beesley
05-10-2004, 02:23 PM
I'll try to download the files to my SD over Wi-Fi then :)

A good example of the speed difference between a wifi connection and AS is when doing an AS backup. If I do a backup through the cradle on my Jornada it can take an hour of more, while the exact same backup over wifi will often take only minutes. I have had the same experience when copying files over wifi. Unfortunately as the Jornada's only expansion slot is needed for the wifi card - I have not been able to use this method for copying over really big amounts of data.

David Prahl
05-10-2004, 02:52 PM
I'd run over to your local geek store and drop $40 on a USB 2.0 card and SD card reader. My new PC has 2.0 and It's MUCH faster.

Janak Parekh
05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
I'd run over to your local geek store and drop $40 on a USB 2.0 card and SD card reader. My new PC has 2.0 and It's MUCH faster.
It's a good point, but it's less of an improvement than switching from ActiveSync to a card reader. I've found that AS => card reader is probably a 10-20 times performance boost, while switching from a 1.1 => 2.0 card reader is < 2 times, since the maximum transfer rate of the CF/SD card is rapidly saturated.

--janak

pepemosca
05-11-2004, 02:52 AM
It's a good point, but it's less of an improvement than switching from ActiveSync to a card reader. I've found that AS => card reader is probably a 10-20 times performance boost, while switching from a 1.1 => 2.0 card reader is < 2 times, since the maximum transfer rate of the CF/SD card is rapidly saturated.

--janak

That's a point of review.

I think I'll try to get a SD card reader, because my brother's computer (is in the other room) has USB 2.0 :D