View Full Version : Invalid Pocket PC Application - HP ipaq 2210

melb_angel19
05-08-2004, 02:34 AM
No matter what I try to install, it says it's not a valid pocket PC application. I have tried software from the HP site. I have a HP ipaq 2210 with Pocket PC 2003. Does anyone know of any free software that is definately compatible with this device so I can try installing it as I'm starting to worry that something is wrong with it.

Steven Cedrone
05-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Most software requires being installed from a PC. You wouldn't be able to just copy it to the Pocket PC and run it.

Steve

melb_angel19
05-08-2004, 06:03 AM
Silly me! I have never used a pocket PC before so I was unaware of that. The installations all work via my laptop. Thats for the tip!!!
:D

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Silly me! I have never used a pocket PC before so I was unaware of that. The installations all work via my laptop. Thats for the tip!!!
:D
Of course, there are a few applications that you just copy to the Pocket PC. In general, trying running them on the PC first. If that gives you some error saying the program can't run, then you should try just putting the program on your Pocket PC. For those programs, you'll also probably want to create a shortcut in your Programs folder (or a sub-folder).

Steve

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Don't forget .cab files, which you copy to the device and run there. Most of the time they delete themselves after installation is complete.

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Don't forget .cab files, which you copy to the device and run there. Most of the time they delete themselves after installation is complete.
I didn't forget them; in fact, I thought of mentioning them, but chose not to because I figured that people knew what to do with them. I also didn't mention ZIP and MSI files for the same reason.

Of course, I also thought people knew how to install Pocket PC software from EXE files, which this thread has shown was a bad assumption. :-D

Steve

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I didn't forget them; in fact, I thought of mentioning them, but chose not to because I figured that people knew what to do with them. I also didn't mention ZIP and MSI files for the same reason.

Of course, I also thought people knew how to install Pocket PC software from EXE files, which this thread has shown was a bad assumption. :-D

Steve
.exe and .msi are treated the same from an end-user standpoint
.zip is a little bit easier on the desktop than the PPC.

Lets not mention programs you have to compile yourself.

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 06:01 PM

I wouldn't say either of those statements is generally true.

All Windows systems can run an EXE file (assuming it's made for Windows, of course). Not all Windows systems can "run" an MSI file; many require you to download the Microsoft Installer support.

Similarly, many Windows systems don't have ZIP support included, so you have to download a ZIP program (like WinZip), just like you do on the Pocket PC.

Steve

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't say either of those statements is generally true.

All Windows systems can run an EXE file (assuming it's made for Windows, of course). Not all Windows systems can "run" an MSI file; many require you to download the Microsoft Installer support.

Similarly, many Windows systems don't have ZIP support included, so you have to download a ZIP program (like WinZip), just like you do on the Pocket PC.

Steve
I was talking about currently supported versions of desktop Windows 2000 is the only one without zip support built in and Me, 2k, and XP all support the msi.

Pony99CA
05-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I was talking about currently supported versions of desktop Windows 2000 is the only one without zip support built in and Me, 2k, and XP all support the msi.
Well, you didn't say "currently supported". Even so, there are lots of Windows 98 systems still in use (and some Windows 95 systems, I bet). Also, Microsoft recently extended Windows 98 support (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];LifeAn1) through June 30, 2006 (at least for security fixes), so I would say Windows 98 qualifies as being supported.

As for ZIP support, I just checked a Windows ME system, and it didn't seem to support ZIP files directly (showing them like folders). As the system has WinZip on it, I can't be sure that there isn't some ZIP support, though.

Steve

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 07:22 PM
My sister runs ME without zip programs and she checked and says it has zip support just like xp but less robust

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 07:23 PM
sorry about the currently supported thing I read (present tense) too many MS OEM news updates, I keep loosing focus on the older OSes unless someone is talking about them in particular