View Full Version : Inexpensive Entry-Level Pocket PCs

Jason Dunn
05-07-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php/form_keyword=Pocket%2520PC/form_page_id=12/topcat_id=1/' target='_blank'>http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabbe...12/topcat_id=1/</a><br /><br /></div>I've seen some price shuffling lately with Pocket PCs, and it seems like a steal to get a <a href="http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=1358810&prsrt=1">Toshiba E400 for $199 USD</a> or an <a href="http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=1772944&prsrt=1">iPAQ 1945 for $205 USD.</a> Maybe mom needs a Pocket PC? :mrgreen:

OSUKid7
05-07-2004, 11:08 PM
I gave my mom my old iPaq 3650, and she barely uses it. She's not anti-computer or anything, but I can never get her to convert from her day planner to it, let alone use other programs. She carries it around a lot, but prolly only uses it once or twice a week. :|

that_kid
05-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Guess i'm lucky, both my parents are Techie. My mom already has an 5555 and so does my dad. This mothers day my mom is getting an ipod, my dad has one already. It's surprising how much my mom uses here ppc too, she's come a long way cause I started her off with a palm m100 which lasted all but a week then I got her a Hp 525, from then on she was hooked.

bkerrins
05-08-2004, 12:26 AM
I wish either of my parents would use a PPC. My mom has come a long way on using a PC, but still won't even use a cell phone (and I pay the bill). She hasn't even put her address book into the PC which is beyond me.

David Prahl
05-08-2004, 12:47 AM
My mom has been using my old Palm m105 for a year or so now. Just got my dad a Zire 21 for Christmas, and they're both taking to them surprisingly well.

I know, I know -- the whole "dark side" thing. Don't worry, I'll get them into Windows Mobile Land sooner or later. :lol:

Zack Mahdavi
05-08-2004, 02:26 AM
My parents are both electrical engineers... no matter how hard I try, I don't think I'll ever be able to pry their old Palm IIIs out of their hands. They love those simple devices to death.

Kacey Green
05-08-2004, 04:37 AM
I gave my mom my old iPaq 3650, and she barely uses it. She's not anti-computer or anything, but I can never get her to convert from her day planner to it, let alone use other programs. She carries it around a lot, but prolly only uses it once or twice a week. :|
We got my mom to switch by taking away her day planner and leaving her with just with her palm IIIc and her Dell Axim X5 for a week.

She now uses the day planner for other people to input appts, because she doesn't want people touching her axim. She uses the axim for everything else, she makes me beam my week's schedule to her.
Edit: I forgot to mention that we installed Pocket Informant and TextMaker, etc.

ctmagnus
05-08-2004, 04:41 AM
imo, the built-in pim apps aren't much better than a paper-based dayplanner. The third-party pim apps are what really make Pocket PCs shine if all a user uses them for is pim-type stuff.

Ryan Joseph
05-08-2004, 02:05 PM
My mom's been using an old IIIc for years...and the thing is starting to die. I keep trying to tell her how much better a PPC would be: it could be read in sunlight, pictures would look way better on the hi-res screen, etc. But she likes it and keeps using it.

But, here's the cool part...we got her an h1945 for Mother's Day. I can't wait to give it to her! :mrgreen:

kevdawg2003
05-08-2004, 02:12 PM
hehe i bought my mom a 1910 about 10 months ago. she had been using a palm III for atleast 3 years before that. i've been using pocket pc's for about 2 and a half. i thought it was time to convert her :lol:

Ryan Joseph
05-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Well, we'll see what my mom thinks of the 1945. I know she'll like the size, but the PPC OS may take a little longer to get used to. But she'll love the idea of multitasking. :wink:

And great Avatar, KevDawg! It goes great with mine! :mrgreen:

Paul Martin
05-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I've wanted to get my wife a PocketPC for a long time. I took advantage of the great deals to pick up a 1945 for her, the Mom of our kids! Hopefully she'll like it...we'll see tomorrow. :D

kevdawg2003
05-08-2004, 05:59 PM
My mom likes it so far. As will yours i bet. I laughed after i posted my last post and saw your avatar :P .

guilmon
05-08-2004, 07:52 PM
I bought a supposedly "Refurbished" Axim x3 basic to replace the e-310 that I killed, for 130 us dollars, thanks to a 50 dollar-off rebate offer on their refurbished handhelds. They get this offer quite frequently nowadays, so if you need a new pocket pc, this is the way to go, since the one I received had no signs of previous use, at all.

Ryan Joseph
05-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Hopefully she'll like it...we'll see tomorrow. :D

Indeed. I can't wait for tomorrow! When others in my family get new tech devices, I feel like I'm getting a new toy, too. 8) :mrgreen:

OSUKid7
05-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Hopefully she'll like it...we'll see tomorrow. :D

Indeed. I can't wait for tomorrow! When others in my family get new tech devices, I feel like I'm getting a new toy, too. 8) :mrgreen:
LOL...see I'm the only one in my family who really loves technology...so that doesn't happen too often. ;)

Paul Martin
05-09-2004, 02:56 PM
I've wanted to get my wife a PocketPC for a long time. I took advantage of the great deals to pick up a 1945 for her, the Mom of our kids! Hopefully she'll like it...we'll see tomorrow. :D

She likes it! :D :D :D

Ryan Joseph
05-09-2004, 11:57 PM
She likes it! :D :D :D

Yep, my mom likes her's too. But she's a former Palm user and told me that she won't carry the 1945 around until I get all of her data moved from Palm Desktop to Outlook. :wink: Guess I have some work to do. :mrgreen:

But she really likes the size and functionality. And when I showed her she could get GPRS Internet by linking to my bluetooth phone, she was even more impressed! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BevHoward
05-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Might want to review the details in the listings under that pricegrabber link... verry interesting from refurbs with less costing more to a $498 Jornada 564.

Was about to send to someone who was a new buyer, but glad I took a look first.

Beverly Howard

Sheena
05-14-2004, 03:32 PM
On behalf of women everywhere (techies or not), kudos to you all wonderful kids for not only giving your lucky moms neat presents, but willing to tempt, coax, or push them to catch up with times, sharing your knowledge, sharing your gadgets, sharing your enthusiasm. It's lovely to hear about. :clap:

Rosie

:grouphug: