View Full Version : Warranty question

jblodgett
05-07-2004, 05:08 PM
I am giving some thought to purchasing an ipaq 4155 which is used.

Are the warranties transferrable??

I.e., if this guy just bought it 3 weeks ago, and it still has warranty for him until Aprl 15, 2005, will I be able to assume that warranty if he sells the machine to me?

Or will I be without warranty?

Kacey Green
05-07-2004, 07:31 PM
I am giving some thought to purchasing an ipaq 4155 which is used.

Are the warranties transferrable??

I.e., if this guy just bought it 3 weeks ago, and it still has warranty for him until Aprl 15, 2005, will I be able to assume that warranty if he sells the machine to me?

Or will I be without warranty?

Generally warrenties are non-transfererable, but it should say in the warranty agreement. Also depending on the local laws they may give you more rights.

Deltrevan
05-07-2004, 07:58 PM
It may also depend on whether or not he has yet registered the device. If he hasn't yet gone through the registration process, then HP will never know that you weren't the original owner.

jblodgett
05-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I thought about that--

But wouldn't you have to send in some type of proof of purchase when you registered the machine??

kellybelly
05-08-2004, 02:27 AM
But wouldn't you have to send in some type of proof of purchase when you registered the machine??
I registered my device online, and I was just asked the place and date of purchase. I didn't have to send in any hard proof that I was telling the truth (which I was :D ).

jblodgett
05-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Following up on these questions (and thank you for the answers, btw)

How does the warranty service work?

I.e.- the ipaq breaks- what do I do?

Pat Logsdon
05-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Following up on these questions (and thank you for the answers, btw)

How does the warranty service work?

I.e.- the ipaq breaks- what do I do?
Just call HP. They'll ask for a serial number, which will be on the unit. That's all they really care about. The warranty on my Axim was transferred to the person who bought it, and the refurbished HP keyboard I bought on eBay was replaced by HP with no problem. You should be fine as long as you're within the warranty period and nothing has been done to the unit to violate the warranty.

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 01:42 AM
In general, companies only ask for proof-of-purchase if you a) haven't registered the unit and b) it's more than a year from the manufacturing date (at which point they get "suspicious"). So, if it's near the purchase date it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

--janak