View Full Version : Batch encode into wmv files

sebjo
05-06-2004, 11:13 PM
I have mpeg videos which I have encoded successfully into wmv with the windows media encoder 9 series. Now I need to be able to batch encode several files overnight. Does anyone know of a utility that will let me do this easily.

Sebastian

suddenly_ike
05-07-2004, 06:54 AM
I have mpeg videos which I have encoded successfully into wmv with the windows media encoder 9 series. Now I need to be able to batch encode several files overnight. Does anyone know of a utility that will let me do this easily.

Sebastian

you can use windows media encoding script (part of windows media encoder) to encode a full folder.
Use the following commandline in the msdos command prompt

cscript.exe wmcmd.vbs –input C:\My Videos\video.avi -output C:\My Videos-encoded\video.wmv -loadprofile C:\My Profile\pocketpc.prx

Ike

sebjo
05-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not really a programmer. How easy is it to use this command. I mean where exactly would I enter the code (msdos command line??)

Seb

Tom W.M.
05-08-2004, 05:44 AM
To get a command line window, click on Start > Run or press [Win]-[R], and then type "cmd" (without the quotes) in to the text box, and press [Enter].

Ike, it's not clear how that command works. Is "video.avi" just a placeholder that will be replaced in turn with the names of each of the videos, or should it be "*.avi" (or "*.mpg" or "*.mpeg" for Sebjo, since he's doing MPEG videos)?

suddenly_ike
05-08-2004, 06:26 AM
sorry ,
the command I gave was to convert the sample file "video.avi" to video.wmv
This "video.avi" can be almost any video file type. (the same as supported by windowsmedia encoder)

To convert a whole folder you just have to specify the folder... type:

cscript.exe wmcmd.vbs –input C:\My Videos\ -output C:\My Videos-encoded\ -loadprofile C:\My Profile\pocketpc.prx

before you type in the command, make sure you are in the windowsmedia encoder directory.
in the command prompt you have to go to the directory where windowsmedia is located.
type:
cd program files\windows media components\encoder
(this is the default directory of windowsmedia)

For more details you can take a look at the help file that comes with installation of windowsmedia encoder...

Ike

sebjo
05-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanx! I'll give that a try.

:wink: