View Full Version : Dead Jornada 568

cdavis
05-05-2004, 01:26 AM
I recently got a Jornada 568 that was hardly used. Maybe a total of 10 hours since it was purchased a couple years ago. It has been working fine although the battery needs to be replaced, as expected. Today when I went to turn it on I got a plain white screen. It has subtle lines going up and down. I can turn backlight off and I still see the lines a bit. It syncs fine so I knew the device was working fine other than not being able to see it. I decided to do a hard reset and the problem still persists. I can hear it beeping on startup but I get nothing but a white screen.The device was never dropped that I know and has had no history of being in rough situations. Is this a common problem with the jornada? has anyone heard of this happening before? What is the issue? Is it worth fixing or buyin a new pda?

Any help would be appreciated!

--chad

mara6
05-05-2004, 03:00 AM
It probably is just a screen problem, there is nothing you can do. Unless you send it in somewhere for like $100 at least. I don't think you should pay that much for a old Jornada. Sorry about your misfortune! :lol:

Deltrevan
05-05-2004, 06:33 AM
I can tell you that this is not common among these units. We have had two, one of which my son still uses without problems. And, the other unit we had also worked reliably with no problems or issues.

Stephen Beesley
05-05-2004, 08:56 AM
I recently bought a dead Jornada off ebay (I wanted it to swap the casing with my rather worn ol' workhorse!) with the same problem. As I was only using it for spares I spent a bit of time trying to get it to work without any luck. It would seem that it is a problem with the connecter ribbon going to the screen - I could get a screen image on the far right of the screen by pressing in a particular point on the cable.

As the ribbon is not something that could be replaced I am guessing that you are out of luck with this. That said there seems to be a fair ol' supply of "dead" Jornada's on ebay with a variety of problems. You could probably pick up one with a working screen and swap over the screens.

In fact this is what I ended up doing with mine. Only days after I got the one off ebay my ol' 568 developed the "missing Safe Store problem" (discussion about this problem on Brighthand HERE (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=0bc190fd4f1b63e044d4f2459cb6fa47&threadid=37032&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) if anybody is interested) so I ended up putting the screen of my old unit inplace of the dead one.

Not sure if this was a case of good timing or of my old machine getting jealous and chucking a bit of a hissy fit :D

airconvent
05-05-2004, 04:20 PM
you can try pushing the soft reset button a few times after the hard reset.
it worked for me once with an older unit I had previously.

btw, how did you hard reset? you need to take the button cell and main battery out and let it stand for 10-15min to make sure all memory is flushed.

I also know that if you don't use an lcd screen for some time, it degrades..not sure why..my casio lcd tv screen deteriorates even when I don't use it...

else, how about going back to HP? since its no longer in production, they do a one-to-one exchange with their ex-stock units. that's how I was able to change 4 new sets in 3 years! I bought my J568 around 3 years ago but the current set is only about 5 mths old...heh heh
each time a dust speck appeared, I bring it back for exchange due to my extended warranty but i heard they recently stopped extending the warranty which means their left over stocks are low...

cdavis
05-05-2004, 04:50 PM
I did hit the soft reset a few times, quite a few times. Sometimes the display turns blue. I have taken both batteries out to flush the memory. A weird thing is after hitting soft reset a few times I can see the imprint of my old wisbar theme on top vaguely. Almost as if it's stuck in the video memory or something. I am not under any warranty at all. I am sure a HP warranty has run out. It was purchased 12/01. HP will charge me an arm and a leg to do a one-for-one exchange on it, i am sure?

Oh, and I shall add I got the Jornada to replace a ipaq 3835 that the internal battery died after just a year of use. Looks like I will be replacing either a screen or a battery or buying a new pda.

airconvent
05-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I did hit the soft reset a few times, quite a few times. Sometimes the display turns blue. I have taken both batteries out to flush the memory. A weird thing is after hitting soft reset a few times I can see the imprint of my old wisbar theme on top vaguely. Almost as if it's stuck in the video memory or something. I am not under any warranty at all. I am sure a HP warranty has run out. It was purchased 12/01. HP will charge me an arm and a leg to do a one-for-one exchange on it, i am sure?

Oh, and I shall add I got the Jornada to replace a ipaq 3835 that the internal battery died after just a year of use. Looks like I will be replacing either a screen or a battery or buying a new pda.

its normal to see the screen like that. when you remove the battery, the residue charge holds the last image and begins to fade as the charge is dissipated. does your pda work when you connect to the ac?
if yes, then maybe the battery has gone to that special place in the sky...

regards

cdavis
05-07-2004, 06:05 PM
It doesn't appear to be a battery issue because the same thing happens when on ac power. I may open it up and see if anything is loose...

When I say the screen is imprinted there I dont mean when it fades away. If I take batteries out for 3 hours and then power it up it is still there.

airconvent
05-08-2004, 07:45 PM
It doesn't appear to be a battery issue because the same thing happens when on ac power. I may open it up and see if anything is loose...

When I say the screen is imprinted there I dont mean when it fades away. If I take batteries out for 3 hours and then power it up it is still there.

very odd...it should not be since there is no power to hold it.
are you sure you took out the CR2032 backup button cell as well and made sure the ac is not connected ?

cheers

cdavis
05-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Yep, backup battery is out.

airconvent
05-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Yep, backup battery is out.

mm..then I'm lost on this...perhaps it would be better to just look for another second hand one?
cheers

ncc123
05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Once upon a time I had a problem getting my 568 to boot properly. taking out all the batteries for 10 mins didn't help.
What I finally had to do is take them out and leave it in a drawer overnight. Rebooting went fine then, no issues since.
BTW, I also saw "ghosting" of a screen image when I had the batteries removed briefly, it went away after the prolonged sitting sans power.