View Full Version : I got my g-mail account!

JackTheTripper
05-04-2004, 11:03 PM
I just signed up for my g-mail account. They are beta testing and I know the guy who is the sysadmin for google so he got me an account.

Looks pretty nice so far. I'll have to give a write up after I've used it for a week or two.

Until then I just wanted to brag. :devilboy:

KenClunk
05-04-2004, 11:08 PM
I call dibbs on next account. I CALLED IT. Why are you so lucky??? If you can pass the word along... GIVE ME AN ACCOUNT!!!

Wiggster
05-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Until then I just wanted to brag. :devilboy:

:bad-words:

Anyways, I look forward to the writeup about it. I can't wait to sign up for mine, and don't think that having targetted adwords is a security concern for me.

upplepop
05-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Well, we could always buy (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=gmail) one!

jake080
05-04-2004, 11:17 PM
HAHA!!!
buy one, ebay, just goes to show, everything IS on ebay!

Jason Dunn
05-04-2004, 11:17 PM
I got mine last week too. I haven't signed in again though since then - I have Webmail for my domains, so I don't plan on using this much at all...

JackTheTripper
05-04-2004, 11:20 PM
hahahaha too funny

choosing a name was dificult. They require 6 letters minimum and it seems as though all common first names are taken. Even mine... Preston... which I don't think is TOO common is taken.

Though they may be holding those until live release to be fair. Don't know.

I forwarded this thread to my friend and let him now if he has any other accounts to give out to think of you guys. But I'm sure he has tons of people wanting them.

Good luck!

Kevin Remhof
05-05-2004, 01:18 AM
I got mine last week. So far, it's pretty slick. It won't work on my iPAQ (browser restriction) but besides that, it's great. After using it for about a week, I was able to invite two other people to join. My buddy signed up right away. My wife though... she can't figure out what her account name should be.

Via la Google!

juni
05-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Does it add "smart-ads" based on the contents of the emails you write like they threatened it would?

Zack Mahdavi
05-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Dang, I've been wanting to try it out so badly! As with Jason, I wouldn't use it much since I have webmail attached to my web hosting. Still, it's a great concept that I really want to try out. :)

Kacey Green
05-05-2004, 10:33 AM
what's it like?

Kevin Remhof
05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Does it add "smart-ads" based on the contents of the emails you write like they threatened it would?
Yes, it does. I wouldn't call that a threat though. Google was very upfront about how they fund Gmail. The ads are very unobtrusive and only appear on the right hand side of every 3rd or 4th email.

For example, here are the ads on a Pocket PC Thoughts e-mail I had:

Sponsored Links
Pocket Pc Sync
Shop for deals on Computers here! Simply Fast Savings
www.Shopping.com
Official HP Store.
Find deals on HP & Compaq Computers and Supplies
www.hpshopping.com
Wal-Mart Electronics
Great selection & Always Low Prices All at Wal-Mart. Shop Now!
Walmart.com

No complaints from me. I don't find these to be a distraction at all. Compare that to Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail which are littered with ads. Hotmail is my least favorite. I still haven't figured out how to tell if I have new mail from the "main" page. The ads in Gmail are very similar to the ads in Google. If those bother you, Gmail won't be for you. I'm comfortable with their privacy policies and targeted ads. The interface is very nice and easy to use. Plus 1000MB is a lot of mail.

hindencm
06-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Anyone that doesn't have a gmail account can get an aventure mail account offering 2 GB of Storage 8O at aventuremail.com. I don't think too many people know about it yet. 8)

Edit: Site is slow because of a tremendous amount of new users.

ale2999
06-03-2004, 07:23 AM
congrats Jack
now I need to make a speech lol:
as we have many gmail users here:

I beg one of you pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have an invite? the reason why I want gmail instead of spymac or w/e else is that I know google wount be going out of business for a long time and I really need a reliable email address with lots of space and that it will work in 6 years from now still. I plan to make it my new central account, just as hotmail was. the 2 meg limit is gay!

Darius Wey
06-03-2004, 07:45 AM
I beg one of you pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have an invite?

I second that! Please...an invite...anybody? A lot of current web-based email companies give you absolutely nothing in terms of space storage! I can see Google as being one of my new central email accounts for its space!

Because space = convenience! :D

David Prahl
06-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Can't active Blogger users sign up without an invitation? Or do they need be to "popular"? Hopefully someone around here will write up an in-depth review when it goes gold.

I'd love an account as well, but so would about 30 million more people. :lol: I wonder if the massive flow of people signing up for G-Mail will phase Google's 100,000 servers. That's a lot of traffic!

JackTheTripper
06-03-2004, 07:03 PM
I haven't been offered to invite anyone yet. :( I've got one friend who I promissed one to first, but after that I'll put them up for grabs here. That is.... if they ever offer me to invite.

billbuckner
06-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Big deal. Had one when they first came out. :mrgreen: