View Full Version : Enter: Stage Left

marlof
05-04-2004, 01:00 PM
About a year ago, on May 6, 2003 I <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12105">announced my retirement</a> from the daily posts on this site after two years of being a contributing editor. I became an "editor emeritus" but didn't disappear completely from the stage. From the limelight I moved to the background as an extra, only to come to the front for my lines when Macs were mentioned. ;) Around that time, I was working very hard to get to the next level in the game that's called my day job. I can inform you that I've reached that level, and it's a great level. But now I have familiarized myself with that level and I have some time left for my great passion: mobile devices! So as of today you'll see more of me again, as the reinstatement of my rank of "contributing editor" shows. I am really looking forward to playing a more active role in our community again!

Evee Ev
05-04-2004, 01:09 PM
marlof...you rock! welcome back, bro. the party's just getting started!

Kacey Green
05-04-2004, 01:21 PM
welcome back

Anthony Caruana
05-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Good to have you back - a geat community just got better.

DaleReeck
05-04-2004, 03:13 PM
...and you are? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jake080
05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
...and you are?
yeah really, tis cool youre back though!

Evee Ev: is that avatar something of the lockergnome genre? cuz it looks it, highly resemblant of Chris Pirillo :P
what ever happened to him? is he behind the seens at TechTv or whaT?

~Jake

Mike Temporale
05-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Congrats on the game play. Sounds like it was a difficult level to pass. :lol: and welcome back!

arnage2
05-04-2004, 04:07 PM
y not try for 1000 posts?

Jon Westfall
05-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Welcome Back.

Master O'Mayhem
05-04-2004, 05:33 PM
you should concentrate on your darts!! :P

gorkon280
05-04-2004, 05:48 PM
As a fan of your Mac/PocketPC postings I did not know you had even left! :D Just letting you know Marlof you are not alone! Since January I have been using mostly a Mac in my personal life and I have to say your Mac articles are very welcome on my end! Is there a site for those of us using PPC's and Macs? I wish that all software for PPC's have CAB's available. I also think that application speciific conduits will slowly go away especially those like includeed in past versions of Worldmate. Why use a conduit to get stuff form the net if these things have a WiFi or a GPRS radio?? Anyway, welcome back Marlof!

Jeff Rutledge
05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Welcome Back, although you were around so much, it hardly seems like you left. 8)

Shadowcat
05-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Welcome back!

marlof
05-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the nice remarks everybody!

...and you are?

happy to be back. ;)

you should concentrate on your darts!! :P

i am. i am. not practicing much, but concentrating a lot. just wait until we meet next. ;)

Is there a site for those of us using PPC's and Macs?

This is it! If you want a specific topic addressed, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

jake080
05-04-2004, 06:54 PM
...and he is obviously a nice guy at that!
:) :) :)

Zack Mahdavi
05-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Marlof, I've only been an active poster on this site for a few months now, but your posts are what convinced me to buy my first Pocket PC for my Mac. I really appreciate it!

Welcome back.. I hope to see some great articles from you in the future! :)

Elad Yakobowicz
05-04-2004, 11:31 PM
I had to resurface from the murky depths in order to say hello ;)

Welcome back! :beer:

yvilla
05-04-2004, 11:59 PM
I can only echo all the welcoming sentiments already expressed! It is great news to hear you're planning to be around more again.

Mike Wagstaff
05-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Welcome back, Marlof. :)

bmhome1
05-05-2004, 03:21 AM
Marlof,

One rarely addressed subject for Mac users with PPC's here is about using Virtual PC for full Activesync functionality and the simplicity of using .exe installers.

There seems to be a widely held belief that USB Activesyncing in Windows running on a Mac via VPC is unreliable at best and impossible to achieve usable results.

Nothing is further from the truth, I run AS in VPC and have 100% success with all syncs and installs, and have helped numerous others get past the frustration and seemingly insurmountable obstacles with USB AS in VPC with some simple techniques.

Maybe useful Mac/PPC subject for a future article?

Bruce

Zack Mahdavi
05-05-2004, 03:30 AM
One rarely addressed subject for Mac users with PPC's here is about using Virtual PC for full Activesync functionality and the simplicity of using .exe installers.

There seems to be a widely held belief that USB Activesyncing in Windows running on a Mac via VPC is unreliable at best and impossible to achieve usable results.

Nothing is further from the truth, I run AS in VPC and have 100% success with all syncs and installs, and have helped numerous others get past the frustration and seemingly insurmountable obstacles with USB AS in VPC with some simple techniques.

I'm glad you have had good results. My results are not nearly as good. I have a dual 1ghz g4 w/ 768mb of ram. Virtual pc rus incredibly slowly with win xp and 98. Activesync works, but it is too slow for me to be usable.

That is why I purchased PocketMac in the first place.

bmhome1
05-05-2004, 03:52 AM
The keys for usable speed with VPC are also simple: the drive image should be as small as possible, don't install any non-essential applications (such as Acrobat Reader in Windows which will destroy speed).

Have at least 512MB RAM running OSX freely available and 256MB RAM allocated to the Windows OS. Close down all other running Mac applications except VPC to avoid page-outs to virtual memory at all costs.

Win2000 runs vastly faster than 98SE or XP in VPC. If using XP, disable every single animation effect and run desktop as classic.

I only have a 900mz G3 Powerbook and have no problems running 2000 as long as it doesn't involve graphics, audio or video. Certainly fast enough to Activesync (faster syncs than MS or PocketMac from what I've read, never 10 minutes).

marlof
05-05-2004, 07:54 AM

Sure, it sounds great. Check you PM box. ;)

van_mierlo
05-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Marlof,

Boy, am I in the same situation as you are. Moved overseas, new job, new house...new eveything....take it easy on writing articles and reviews....but I see myself soon in the same situation again....my fingers ae itching too.

JvanEkris
05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Welkom terug Marlof!

Jaap

PS: Johan, waar blijven die artikelen dan ??

elehcdn
05-05-2004, 05:45 PM
It's great to find a resource like you!

I'm a Mac user who was intrigued by the Palmuptrade program. I have invested in an iPaq 2215 and am exploring it's use. I am loving the WiFi which has continually been promised and not delivered on the Palm platform, as well as the better handling of a/v media files.

As I am making the transition, I am finding that I can run most everything that I used to be running on the Palm. The one big snag that I am hitting is that I am a big user of PocketQuicken on my Palm that I sync to Quicken on my Mac.

Has anyone come up with a reasonable way to do this on a PPC? I know that I can export/import, but doing that on a daily basis is going to be a pain. What financial tracking program do you use and how do you sync to your Mac?

I'm sure that I'll think of other things, but I hope that there is a PPC/Mac user out there that can help me out with this.

Zack Mahdavi
05-05-2004, 06:53 PM
As I am making the transition, I am finding that I can run most everything that I used to be running on the Palm. The one big snag that I am hitting is that I am a big user of PocketQuicken on my Palm that I sync to Quicken on my Mac.

Has anyone come up with a reasonable way to do this on a PPC? I know that I can export/import, but doing that on a daily basis is going to be a pain. What financial tracking program do you use and how do you sync to your Mac?

I'm sure that I'll think of other things, but I hope that there is a PPC/Mac user out there that can help me out with this.

Unfortunately, at this time, I don't think there's a better way. In fact, now I just use my PocketPC program (SPBFinance) to manage all of my finances. I realized I didn't need all the extra doodads that come with Quicken.

If you're not willing to completely give up Quicken, then I guess your best bet is to just import/export all the time. It can get very annoying... but I haven't found a better way.

Oh, here's another idea. You could use Virtual PC to sync your Pocket PC with the windows version of Quicken.. then, transfer the file to the Mac side. That probably wouldn't work very well.

Sorry I couldn't be any more of a help!

gorkon280
05-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Marlof,

Bruce

If I had wanted to use Outlook, I would! :D There's no way I would run VPC on my Mac so long as I have access to a PC as well (and I will always have that). I would not do this even if I wanted to install a app. If the developers would just bring out CABS, we'd be ok.

ctmagnus
05-05-2004, 08:25 PM

There's Pocket Quicken for the PPC platform as well. I don't know if it will sync with Quicken on a Mac, though.

Hal Goldstein
05-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Nice to "see" you again, Marlof. I always remember our interesting philosophical discussion some years back.

Hopefully, you will be able to help judge our Pocket PC magazine Best Software Awards this year after your year sabatical.

Hal Goldstein, Pocket PC magazine

Zack Mahdavi
05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
There's Pocket Quicken for the PPC platform as well. I don't know if it will sync with Quicken on a Mac, though.

It won't, unfortunately... :(

Sheena
05-10-2004, 02:48 PM
This is it! If you want a specific topic addressed, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Welcome back to the fold, Marlof. As an old PC user ready to take the plunge into a Mac (but not willing to give up my beloved iPaq), I'll take any advice, links, rec'd software, etc, that you guys can dish up. :werenotworthy: Thanks!

Rosie