View Full Version : message boards?

jake080
05-03-2004, 05:27 PM
I was considering setting up a little Forum on my personal site. How do I go about this? i dont want like a cheesy free hosting thing, i want to host it myself with the rest of my site... what do I need?

~Jake

jake080
05-03-2004, 05:32 PM
oh, and please spare me of saying, google for it, im too lazy to google right now ;) i do it like all day as it is :P

Jason Dunn
05-03-2004, 05:38 PM
phpBB is what we use, and it's free. Some Web hosts, like the one I'm using now for my personal sites (www.webhostingbuzz.com) offer a one-click install of phpBB. Nice and easy!

jake080
05-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks Jason for a quick responce... i guess ill google phpBB ;)
hehe

~Jake

Zack Mahdavi
05-03-2004, 05:47 PM

I second phpBB. It's a great forum system that's extremely easy to install.

Kevin Remhof
05-03-2004, 05:54 PM

I second phpBB. It's a great forum system that's extremely easy to install.

Yup, it's shockingly easy to install. I installed it on my home website just last week. Took about 10 minutes (including FTPing it up).

The nicest thing about phpBB is that "most" people already know how to use it. It's very popular. Try this link to it and enjoy: http://www.phpbb.com/

jake080
05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
gag, it was seeming easy, but I cant get it installed :P
how do I know what type of database to use? and is there a was that all the post data and stuff post-install be stored on my ftp here at home instead of the server my whole site is on?
also... Database Server Hostname / DSN whats that? does it have to do with my question? lol
Whats the 'prefix' thing for?

I am feelin' a little dumb, maybe im just tired, but either way, TH4NK5!
~Jake

Zack Mahdavi
05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
If you're using a free hosting site, do you know if they provide database support? You need MySQL support. Most free sites don't give databases for free, nor even the ability to run PHP scripts.

What free site do you use?

jake080
05-03-2004, 10:17 PM
well its jakeodonnell.com
and its on my friends dedicated server in Austin.
and at that, now a free service

he is in London now, and I cannot simply ask him about the php and db stuff, but im sure with all the people on the server, im not the only one doing this.

Zack Mahdavi
05-03-2004, 11:24 PM
You need to use something like "phpMyAdmin" to create a database. You'll use this database name for the setup part. Also, you'll supply it a username and password for that database you created.

i don't recall a prefix setting though... sorry... have you looked at the phpBB documentation?

jake080
05-04-2004, 02:59 AM
well, after several diffenent shots... i still get the following error set:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'jakedb@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/www/jakeodonnell.com/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/www/jakeodonnell.com/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/www/jakeodonnell.com/html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

---------
any knowledge of the direct issue?

ive tried selecting mysql 3.x as well as 4.x

~Jake