View Full Version : rhinoskin metal case for 4155

zilla31
05-03-2004, 12:04 AM
anyone using this with their 4155? thinking about getting it but want to make sure it doesn't add to much to the size/weight.

thanks!!

targetdrone
05-03-2004, 02:50 AM
I have the RhinoSkin for my Dell Axim X3i and have been very unhappy with it. It opens from th side, which leaves the lid in the way of your hand when trying to hold it in your hand while using it. When you use the case, the size increases just enough to make it uncomfortable in your pocket. And then there is the knob on the back of the case. My has come unscrewed twice already, both times causing the case/pda to fall on asphalt and concrete. The second time it actually tweaked the aluminum case a bit.

If I had to do it again, I would definately NOT buy the RhinoSkin case.

targetdrone

zilla31
05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
do you think the side opening problem would still exist for a left-hander (me) who would generally hold it in their right hand?

thanks!

Mobile_Bear
05-03-2004, 02:36 PM
I have one for Peep (my Ipaq 2215). I have found that the right hinge actually enables your left hand and left finger tips with more control, as oppose to have the lid uncomfortably "swinging" on top of your wrist.
I am right-handed and comfortably use it.

However, the screw/knob is a very poor design. The only plus that I see is that the case really protects Peep. I hope :(

zilla31
05-03-2004, 02:41 PM
i don't plan to use the screw piece at all - i'm not going to wear this on my belt pretty much ever. i'm most interested in something that will keep it protected in my laptop bag, pants or shirt pocket. does it add much to the overall size/weight?

mdavidm
05-03-2004, 04:37 PM
I am using the Rhinoskin aluminum case for my h4155, and it is wonderful. It adds some weight, but it is not much different than a leather case in terms of weight. It adds very little to the dimensions of the PDA, so it still fits easily in my pant pockets. The one convenience I never considered before buying the case is that is slips in and out of the pockets of my blue jeans much easier than leather cases do. The size, weight, and durabililty make the Rhinoskin aluminum case well worth the price.

David

zilla31
05-03-2004, 05:01 PM
thanks david exactly what i'm looking for and my exact model to boot. do you find that you can carry the 4155 in the rhino in a shirt pocket (like a dress shirt for example) w/o too much sag?

thanks again!!

mdavidm
05-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm glad I could help. I have found the case a little too heavy and bulky for carrying in a shirt pocket, but it is acceptable in the interior pocket of a sport coat or suit coat. When I carry it in a pocket of slacks or jeans, I forget it is there. Also, when I first bought the case I tried the belt clip, but it just seemed like it was in the way, and it was even too geeky for a geek like me!

David

Mobile_Bear
05-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Not much for weight, not noticeable.
As for dimensions, it is fitted with a neoprene inner layer, so it does adds up a little bit.
Thickness increase is more noticeable.

zilla31
05-03-2004, 05:16 PM
ha i agree. society hasn't quite accepted the PDA on the belt look yet. so how do you feel about the 4155 in a shirt pocket without the case? i haven't gotten mine yet (in the mail) but just curious... that's where i love to carry mine while at work :)

mdavidm
05-03-2004, 05:28 PM
I guess it kind of depends on the shirt. It seems okay in the pocket of a dress shirt, but it is a little too heavy in the pocket of a polo/golf shirt. But with the case, it is too heavy and bulky either way.

Andy Whiteford
05-04-2004, 05:13 PM
You can find out a bit of blurb about the h1900 case which is almost identical to the h4100 case here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,23385

I have the h4150 case too so if you have any unanswered questions let me know.

rugerx
05-05-2004, 10:18 PM
warning... some people with rhinoskin type metal cases are complaining of scratches to the IPAQ paint job...

jhuddle
05-07-2004, 05:29 AM
I love my 4155 rhinoskin combination. I've had the rhinoskin fro two weeks, one look at the scratches and dings in the case I'm shocked my IPAQ made through the first month alive. The only draw back is I can not sync in the cradle with removing the case.

Mobile_Bear
05-07-2004, 05:26 PM
There is drawback on my metal rhino skin:

The case allows access to the cards slots on the top, even closed.
A couple of times I have accidentally pressed the SD slot (which eject the card) and turn the unit on and I did not noticed.

The first time some battery was drained out of the unit, until it shutted off.
The second time the SD card slipped on my pocket and I almost send it to the cleaners.

jbachandouris
05-10-2004, 01:04 PM
warning... some people with rhinoskin type metal cases are complaining of scratches to the IPAQ paint job...

Anyone else out there have this problem? I understand the case scratching, but the Ipaq? Please advise.

jali-p5
05-10-2004, 08:15 PM
do you think the side opening problem would still exist for a left-hander (me) who would generally hold it in their right hand?

thanks!

i don't have the rhinoskin case, but i have the innopocket one, which is pretty much the same.......anyways.....good investment for me

CON:
- adds only a little bit more weight
- slippery to hold for the first bit, but you get used to it
- syncing via cradle requires you to remove it everytime (solution: wifi activesync, which totally rocks!! or sync cable)

for a left-hander like you, i tried holding the case in my right hand and have to admit, it might be a little uncomfortable for you, i couldn't quite hold it right because of the lid getting in the way.....

hope this helps!