View Full Version : Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!! 5455 wlan driving me nuts!

hogger_jeff
05-02-2004, 08:15 PM
I've read everything I can find about using the Wlan on the 5455. I've updated firmware and drivers. I've tried all the configurations I can think of, but I still have 2 major problems:

1. I cannot set the adapter to automatically get an IP from my wireless router. Well, I can, but it won't take the IP my router tries to give it. It just uses what seems like a random private IP. The router shows a wireless PC connecting and assigns an IP, but the ipaq won't take it. I have to manually assign a static IP, and that does me no good for connecting to hotspots or other wireless networks.

2. Once connected with the static IP I assign to the ipaq, I am unable to do a network activesync. I can connect to the PC, copy files to and from it, but I cannot do a hotsync. The ipac activesync screen just says "connecting" while the PC activesync says "connected". As I said, I can copy to and from the ipaq, but I can't do a sync.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As mentioned, all firmware, drivers and software is current. I've been reading and working on this for weeks. I've even purchased the WM2003 upgrade from HP and installed that. The driver updates etc were installed after.

Please, can someone help?? I am so close, but just can't get to where I need to be with this thing....!!!!

Thanks very much in advance.

bdavidson9554
05-03-2004, 01:28 AM
What wireless router are you using? I have a Netgear MR814 that will not play DHCP nicely with the iPAQ 5450. Can't get an IP address, need to assign a static, as you mention.

I can, however, take the iPAQ to work and get a DHCP address from a different wireless router, so DHCP does work on the 5450 with WM2003 -- just not with my choice of router at home...

Today, I use Kelbran IP Manager to switch between a static profile and a DHCP one.

More background on the testing I did:

At one point I reset the router to factory settings and reconfigured from scratch, leaving the router unplugged from my cable modem until finished with the wireless setup. I was astonished to discover that the iPAQ would successfully pull a DHCP address from the MR814 as long as I didn't plugin the router to the cable modem. Once I made that final connection to the public internet, DHCP stopped working between the iPAQ and the MR814.

I reported this to Netgear twice, but the most help I received was a suggestion to configure a static IP address (duh), and a suggestion to set my DNS servers to 4.4.2.1 or something equally offbeat.

Can't help much on the ActiveSync part, other than asking if you've been to cewindows.net and read FAQ's there.

Best of luck,
Brian

hogger_jeff
05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm using a Dlink DI-614+ Rev A with udated drivers. I won't bother resetting like you did and setting up without the internet connected, because even if it works, once I connect the internet I'll be toast again anyway. Besides, I've got a whole bunch of custom settings that I would hate to have to enter again - and no, none of them SHOULD be affecting the 5455. Perhaps the software that you mentioned that will allow me to switch from static to dynamic IP's will work. That was going to be my next question - how to do that.

As for the sync thing, I'll have to look up that FAQ, but as I said, I've been reading and tinkering for 2 months now with no success. Back to the boards, I guess.

pdsluk
05-11-2004, 10:52 AM
See my post on changing the channel number, it may help.

Regards

pdsluk

Janak Parekh
05-13-2004, 01:55 AM
1. I cannot set the adapter to automatically get an IP from my wireless router.
I've heard of some incompatibilities between the DHCP server in some wireless routers and WM2003. Your D-Link may be one of them. :(

2. Once connected with the static IP I assign to the ipaq, I am unable to do a network activesync. I can connect to the PC, copy files to and from it, but I cannot do a hotsync. The ipac activesync screen just says "connecting" while the PC activesync says "connected". As I said, I can copy to and from the ipaq, but I can't do a sync.
Does the desktop show connected as "Guest"?

--janak

hogger_jeff
05-14-2004, 06:30 PM
I've heard of some incompatibilities between the DHCP server in some wireless routers and WM2003. Your D-Link may be one of them.

Unfortunately, I also had the same problem before I upgraded from 2002 to WM2003. I was hoping that the upgrade would solve the problem. Nope.

Does the desktop show connected as "Guest"?

No. The PC Activesync screen just shows "Connected" while the PPC screen shows "Connecting". That's as far as I can get, but I can browse the iPaq from the PC at this point.

Also, pdsluk, I have tried different channels on the router - I'm currently using channel 6.

Jeff