View Full Version : Zune Sucks... 'Cause Why?

Damion Chaplin
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/default.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/default.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;Bottom line Winner? iPod ....not so much for the device itself as the Zune is nicer from a screen standpoint but because content and software is king. David Shackelford did note that the other content difference is the &quot;rent&quot; factor of content that iTunes doesn't have. But the Zune size wise isn't the exercise device that Vlad said it would be... I think I'll still need free weights to bulk up in the biceps.&quot;</em><br /><br />Yet another person tries the Zune (this time a Microsoft MVP) and hates it for all the wrong reasons. Seriously, it's too early to nail the Zune marketplace for lacking content. It will take time to build it. Now, if they still have no content a year from now, go ahead an zing 'em for it. And no engraving option? Woah, that must mean the player sucks. Cultural bonding through earphone color? You don't like the Zune because it didn't come with white earphones? Please. If you don't like the Zune, you don't like it. It's OK. Just don't give me rationalizations and BS reasons please.

David Tucker
01-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree...and that's what I hate about most Zune commentary. Its ok to like the iPod over the Zune. Both have their good and bad points. When I read the whole white vs black earbud comment I just rolled my eyes.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Wait... The Zune doesn't come with headphones?

Isn't the point of the preloaded content so you can get going with it right away?

I'm not being a jerk here... Seriously... I really didn't know that... Just seems weird :confused:

Darin
01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
When I read the whole white vs black earbud comment I just rolled my eyes.
Too funny for words. My brothers black iPod came with white earbuds. When he asked why, they said it was "the Apple trademark earbuds". Perhaps Microsoft should start shipping orange earbuds with all of their Zunes.

No one can argue content, iTunes has a huge edge here I just wish people would separate iTunes the software from iTunes the content provider.

It all comes down to the whole Wrangler jeans issue. Wrangler jeans may be more durable, cheaper, comfortable, etc. but people still shop for Levi. Often they even say they bought a new pair of "Levi's" when they bought some other brand. Right now iPod=MP3 and most people don't know and don't want to know the difference. The Zune is a great first product, but Microsoft isn't going to capture mindshare until there is a compelling reason to do so (and squirting in its current form isn't it).

David Tucker
01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Wait... The Zune doesn't come with headphones?

Isn't the point of the preloaded content so you can get going with it right away?

I'm not being a jerk here... Seriously... I really didn't know that... Just seems weird :confused:

No..the Zune doesn't include WHITE headphones. It includes a pair of black and silver earbuds.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Woops!

My bad :p

NPrtmn4evr
01-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I think his point about the headphones isn't so much about them being "white" as it is about them being iconic. When people see you wearing the white earbuds they know you have an iPod. Even if you just buy the cheap Shuffle you still get the "Look at me I have an iPod" headphones. There is nothing iconic or memorable about the headphones that come with the Zune. They're just regular black headphones that you could get anywhere.

And in terms of content I haven't really had a problem not finding a band that I want to download. I have a Zune Pass and have been downloading a bunch of songs, and I've never not found a band or song that I want. I even have some wweird music tastes where I didn't expect to find the band, but was pleasantly surprised:cool:

David Tucker
01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
I think his point about the headphones isn't so much about them being "white" as it is about them being iconic. When people see you wearing the white earbuds they know you have an iPod. Even if you just buy the cheap Shuffle you still get the "Look at me I have an iPod" headphones. There is nothing iconic or memorable about the headphones that come with the Zune. They're just regular black headphones that you could get anywhere.

And in terms of content I haven't really had a problem not finding a band that I want to download. I have a Zune Pass and have been downloading a bunch of songs, and I've never not found a band or song that I want. I even have some wweird music tastes where I didn't expect to find the band, but was pleasantly surprised:cool:

Nah...the white earbuds aren't iconic anymore. I could go buy a pair of white earbuds for my Zune if I REALLY wanted to. But I don't. And honestly I don't often see silver backed earbuds like the Zune has.

Alber1690
01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Those white headphones are beginning to become very annoying...even by iPod users...they honestly don't care about them, most of the people I know to own iPods buy other ones because of comfort. So much for Apple's selling-point...lol.

Jason Dunn
01-21-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know...to me white headphones says the person is an iPod user without any good taste for headphones, because the included ones aren't supposed to be very good. :D