View Full Version : Sandisk Wifi for XDA

Steve Sharp
05-01-2004, 03:46 PM
I found a good deal for a Wifi card for my 02 XDA (PPC Phone Edition) Phone Edition, and bought it. The idea was that I could tie into my home wireless network with my XDA. So, I eagerly opened the package, stuck the thing into my SD slot, and tried to configure it (despite the fact that there were NO instructions whatsoever and Sandisk's help site is almost as worthless as T-Mobile's.)
So, I tried again. and again, and again. Nothing. I cannot even confirm that this new Wifi card is doing anything other than protruding from the bottom of my XDA, mocking me, and generally making me want to tear my hair out. Is there anyone who has purchased a Sandisk Wifi for XDA that could give me some pointers? I don't know if the card is bad, or if I'm just bad at guessing what I need to do to make it work.

jake080
05-01-2004, 03:53 PM
Sandisk Wife for XDA

???
i know i just woke up, its freaking late for me... but am i reading that right? you are looking for a wife for your XDA?!?!
Dude, thats just a little far, but seriously funny... I have done it before too ;) ...now i shall read your post and see if i can help :P

...a minute later...
ok, well i had problems like this with my WiFi CF card(yes you are right, i never had a ppc, but this was a friends 22xx with MY CF card... lol) First off, is the XDA even seeing the card? if not, then look for new drivers!
and sadly enough i must go, if no one else replys, then ill tell you my other ideas later :)
~JAke

Jeff Rutledge
05-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Wife for XDA

Good trade. ;)

(j/k)

jake080
05-01-2004, 04:43 PM
well, we know how JR thinks now ;)
XDA_Guy here, a new user and all, is prolly thinking both our minds are in the gutter... and since we are the only two to represent PPCT in attempting to assits him in solving this issue... yeah, nevermind the 'sense' cuz i forgot what i was trying to say... soo, yeah, proves my mind is shot :D
:lol: :rotfl: :frusty: :helpme: :bangin:

yes, the idea is that those emots are making a point of us, JR :)

~Jake
ps. dang, this sat. morning sure is starting off good, im so happy, and constantly am cracking myself up!

Steve Sharp
05-01-2004, 04:48 PM
ok, well i had problems like this with my WiFi CF card(yes you are right, i never had a ppc, but this was a friends 22xx with MY CF card... lol) First off, is the XDA even seeing the card?

Well, the compatibility matrix on Sandisk's site doesn't say that this Wifi SD card is compatible with the 02 XDA (not to be confused with the XDA II LOL). However, Tech4Less says that it IS compatible. To answer the question about whether the PDA is seeing the card, well, when I stick the Wifi Card in there, it know that I've stuck SOME unidentified card in there, but the led isn't lighting up, and none of the settings seem to make any difference. I re-downloaded the drivers for PPC 2003 from Sandisk and installed the software--did the soft reset, nada. For all I can tell, this Wifi card is nothing but a hunk of plastic with some connectors on it--no lights, no action.

I already tried trading my wife for one of those new fancy-schmancy XDA II's, but since she was a little dinged up and has memory problems, I couldn't get as much as I'd hoped for her. :devilboy:

clark_
05-01-2004, 06:55 PM
XDA_Guy,

It's been a while since I've regularly checked this forum, but last I knew, the original XDA did not have SDIO (Secure Digital Input/Output) capability. This essentially means that you can use SD cards for memory, but not for any sort of networking or communitcations or other accessories that require such support.

Essentially, there's nothing wrong with your card, it's just that the XDA does not have the capability to use it.

Jon Westfall
05-01-2004, 07:35 PM
You cannot use a sandisk wi-fi SD card (or any other SDIO card) with an orignal XDA / SX56 / T-Mobile Pocket PC / QTek 1010 or whatever else it might be called.

End of Story.

Sorry.

jake080
05-02-2004, 12:45 AM
how sad... i guess i learned something today as well :)

Steve Sharp
05-02-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, guys, I guess you've confirmed what I was afraid of--the original XDA doesn't work with the Wifi card. It's rather annoying that a major retailer is purporting that these are compatible with this model, but at least I didn't waste any MORE time messing with this silly thing. (where's the emoticon where the guy's beating himself in the head with the hammer?) 8O

Thanks again for the info

jake080
05-02-2004, 01:19 AM
yeah, sorry dude, try to get your money back :) and find another solution!

~Jake