View Full Version : OK, time to ask for HEEELP!!! WIFI config

ironguy
04-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Eq: ipaq 2215 (with SDIO update), Socket SDIO WiFI card, Netgear MR814v2 wireless router, Zyxel DSL modem.

My PPC says the network is available but I get no signal. Here's my setup:

Router Basic Settings:
Static IP (used to belong to the PC)
Correct Subnet (255.255.255.0)
Gateway IP (fro the DSL modem) the sam as it's always been - works with my PC)
No login needed
DNS servers specified (as it was with my PC)
Router MAC address - default
Router Wireless Settings:
Wireless Access point enabled
SSID broadcast
Authentication Type - auto enable
no encryption
WAN setup - Connect automatically as required
Use router as DHCP server checked

PPC settings
Settings/Connections/Connections/Network Card/ brings up the 'Configure Wireless Networks' page. My network shows as available.
Network Adapter tab - socket SDIO WLAN card
Use specific IP address (just where does this addres come from)
Name servers: DNS same as PC was

I get 0% signal reading in this config. On a whim, I drove over to Starbucks. I picked up 3 separate networks but no signal strength from them either.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I reset the router with factory defaults and loaded te IP stuff again. My socket card found it and had a signal. I tried conecting to the internet and received the message that I needed to configure my proxy server. Well, I don't have a proxy server. I played around with adding the router and gateway IPs as proxy servers to no avail. In fact, I've now lost all signal.

Zero COnfiguration! HAH!

Stik
05-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Eq: ipaq 2215 (with SDIO update), Socket SDIO WiFI card, Netgear MR814v2 wireless router, Zyxel DSL modem.

My PPC says the network is available but I get no signal.

Ironguy,

I'm a real novice when it comes to this kind of thing, so please bear w/ me. :oops:

I'm assuming that when you say you made the iPaq 2215 SDIO update your referring not only to the 2215 ROM update, but also the recently released 2210/2215 SDIO driver update that can be found here...

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20674.html

My next question is do you have the MR814v2 Firmware Version 5.03 upgrade that is found here? ...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=574

If yes to both, then the best I can do is leave you w/ the Netgear MR814v2 802.11b Cable/DSL Wireless Router troubleshooting link that has lots of useful information on your router...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/MR814v2.asp

Good luck!

ironguy
05-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Yes, I have the 5.03 firmware update and the HP SDIO update. I've been to the Netgear page and still no joy.

I guess it's time to make some calls...

waterboy
05-04-2004, 10:28 PM
If you're using DHCP on the router, should you not select "Use server assigned IP address" on your PPC? Otherwise, you'll have to set an IP range on the router/gateway, and then assign an IP address to the PPC that is within the range on the gateway.

ironguy
05-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Today I reserved an IP address on the router and put it in my ipaq. After some fiddling, I got connected. When I would tap/hold on my network, it would go from 'available' to connecting', then back to 'available'. Today it finally 'connected'. I still can;t get internet sitrs although I can use AS wirelessly.

Here's a funny. "Block all internet sites" seems to be the default setting for the router! I changed that thinking I had found my problem, but I still receive "the page you requested cannot be found'.

paulzazzarino
05-06-2004, 04:41 AM
Make sure you set the gateway entry on the PPC to the IP address of
your router.

for example:

on router
----------------------------------------------------
assigned IP by DSL/ISP = 235.128.64.123
your routers NAT IP = 192.168.110.1
----------------------------------------------------

on PPC
---------------------------------
IP address = 192.168.110.5
gateway = 192.168.110.1
--------------------------------

if you use DHCP to auto assign the PPC it will obtain these automatically.

ironguy
05-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I have my DSL gateway address as the gateway address. I'll change it when I get home and see what happens!